[soc.religion.christian] Nature of God

mark@drd.com (Mark Lawrence) (06/12/91)

In article <Jun.10.23.32.21.1991.1270@athos.rutgers.edu> lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) writes:
>so instead of not giving us a choice to love him, he gives us the
>ever-popular "love me or else" concept.  Oh so much better to be
>sure.  Is love derived of fear of punishment any better than love
>that is forced?
>
>You are still left with a petty, spiteful, God who seems more bent
>on revenge and hatred than anything else...

Only, perhaps, if one is bent on perceiving Him that way.  I've known
children who, as a result of mistreatment or bad parenting, seem to be
incapable of viewing any action taken in their behalf by someone else
without suspicion and distrust.  A guardian of such a child could take
any number of actions for the child's benefit.  The child could perceive
such actions as petty, spiteful, done for revenge and perhaps as an
expression of hatred.

On the other hand, a child secure in the love of a parent or lovers
secure in their love for one another have no reason to distrust the
motivations of the actions taken in their behalf.

One's picture of God depends, in an essential way, on one's relationship
with Him.
--
mark@drd.com
mark@jnoc.go.jp  $B!J%^!<%/!&%i%l%s%9!K(B  Nihil novum sub solem

lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) (06/15/91)

In article <Jun.11.22.38.16.1991.23944@athos.rutgers.edu> mark@drd.com (Mark Lawrence) writes:
>In article <Jun.10.23.32.21.1991.1270@athos.rutgers.edu> lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) writes:

>>so instead of not giving us a choice to love him, he gives us the
>>ever-popular "love me or else" concept.  Oh so much better to be
>>sure.  Is love derived of fear of punishment any better than love
>>that is forced?
>>
>>You are still left with a petty, spiteful, God who seems more bent
>>on revenge and hatred than anything else...

>Only, perhaps, if one is bent on perceiving Him that way.  I've known
>children who, as a result of mistreatment or bad parenting, seem to be
>incapable of viewing any action taken in their behalf by someone else
>without suspicion and distrust.

Could you blame the child for not trusting anyone?  Having worked with
several children who come from 'distrupted' homes (a nice way of saying
their parents were unfit bastards) I've run into this a number of times.

>A guardian of such a child could take
>any number of actions for the child's benefit.  The child could perceive
>such actions as petty, spiteful, done for revenge and perhaps as an
>expression of hatred.

Again, what do you expect?

>On the other hand, a child secure in the love of a parent or lovers
>secure in their love for one another have no reason to distrust the
>motivations of the actions taken in their behalf.

This is a very good analogy.  The child here would be us and the parent
would, of course, be God.  Now the abused child who would/could not trust
their adult couterparts because of poor early experience would be like
someone who would/could not trust/believe in God, right?
That child (sinner) would go to hell.
Bingo.

Now you're starting to catch on!  Any religious system that contains
eternal punishment of any kind for any reason is inherently intollerant
and dangerous... not to mention just a bit silly.

Jeff Lindborg
  "Religion begins where intelligence ends."
                                D.

kk00+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kathleen P. Kowalski) (06/22/91)

Jeff, would you not agree that one of the distinguishing characteristics
of being human is the ability to make informed choices?  And for every
choice we make, the natural order of things dictates that there are
consequences.  As a christian, it is my belief that God gave humanity
this ability because he didn't want "robots", but thinking, choosing
beings.  We should begin from the premise that we are "creations" of
God, thus, we "belong" to Him.  This concept of belonging is critical to
understanding the christian's view of God.  Getting back to choices, we
believe that humnity before the "fall" was perfect in every way.  We
believe that the "fall" was a rejection of God's natural place in our
lives, and that we chose instead to do things "our way".  This is, of
course, a simplified version of things, to be sure.  Hell is not so much
the product of a vengeful God saying "Love me - or else!", but it is the
natural result of our choice.  It is man separated from God.  It sounds
to me like you are thinking of hell in terms of a red-suited devil
sitting among flames and coals.  That is a bit silly, and it misses the
point.  (I do believe in a devil, by the way, but that's another
subject).  Hell is the absence of God, and in His absence, the
corruption of all that we were created to be; it is the degradation of
humanity.  And the point that has yet to be made here is that no one has
to suffer this.  Would a vengeful God suffer the indignity of becoming a
human infant, born among cow dung?  He was despised by the very people
he came to save, and paid the ultimate price for us - he gave his own
life on a bloody cross in exchange for our debt.  He saved us from the
natural consequence of our own bad choice.  There was no obligation for
Him to do this.  He freely chose to.  Vengeful?  No, I think of God as
being loving without any limits.  True, we have the freedom to embrace
or reject that love.  But being free always has a price.

Kay