[soc.religion.christian] Thoughts of God!

jloucks@uts.amdahl.com (Jim Loucks) (06/23/91)

Here's something I enjoy reading and thought I'd share it with you. :-)

                              Thoughts of God

     At first I saw God as my observer, my judge, keeping track of the
     things  I  did  wrong,  so as to know whether I merited heaven or
     hell when I die.  He was out there sort of like the president.  I
     recognized  His  picture  when I saw it, but I didn't really know
     Him.

     But later on when I recognized this Higher Power,  it  seemed  as
     though  life  was  rather  like  a bike ride, but it was a tandem
     bike, and I noticed than God was in the back helping me pedal.

     I don't know just when it was that he suggested we change places,
     but  life has not been the same since, life with my Higher Power,
     that is. God makes life exciting!

     But when He took the lead, it was all I could do to hang  on!  He
     knew  delightful paths, up mountains and through rocky places and
     at breakneck speeds. Even though it looked like madness, he said,
     "Pedal!"

     I worried and was anxious and asked, "Where are you  taking  me?"
     He laughed and didn't answer, and I started to learn trust.

     I forgot my boring life and entered into adventure. When I'd say,
     "I'm scared," He'd lean back and touch my hand.

     He took me to people with gifts that I needed, gifts of  healing,
     acceptance,  and  joy.  They  gave  me  their gifts to take on my
     journey, our journey, God's and mine.

     And we were off again. He said, "Give  the  gifts  away;  they're
     extra  baggage, too much weight." So I did, to the people we met,
     and I found that in giving I  received,  and  our  burden  became
     light.

     At first I didn't trust Him in control of my life. I thought He'd
     wreck it. But He knows bike secrets, knows how to make it lean to
     take sharp corners, dodge large rocks, and  speed  through  scary
     passages.

     And I am learning to shut up and pedal in the  strangest  places.
     I'm  beginning  to  enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face
     with my delightful constant Companion.

     And when I'm sure I just can't do any more, He  just  smiles  and
     says, "Pedal!"

--
Jim Loucks           jloucks@uts.amdahl.com
{apple, pyramid, sun, uunet}!amdahl!jloucks

anonymous@hmivax.humgen.upenn.edu (06/24/91)

In article <Jun.22.21.34.49.1991.18286@athos.rutgers.edu>, jloucks@uts.amdahl.com (Jim Loucks) writes:
> Here's something I enjoy reading and thought I'd share it with you. :-)
>

>                               Thoughts of God

Along the same lines, I ran into something by John Henry Cardinal Newman the
other day which gave me a much-needed lift:

GOD HAS CREATED ME
to do Him some definite service
He has committed some work to me
which He has not committed to another

I HAVE MY MISSION
I may never know it in this life
but I shall be told it in the next

I AM A LINK IN A CHAIN
a bond of connection between persons
He has not created me for naught
I shall do good -- I shall do His work
I shall be an angel of peace
a preacher of truth in my own place
while not intending it
if I do but keep His commandments

THEREFORE I WILL TRUST HIM
whatever I am, I can never be thrown away
If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him
in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him
If I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him

HE DOES NOTHING IN VAIN
He knows what He is about
He may take away my friends
He may throw me among strangers
He may make me feel desolate
make my spirits sink
hide my future from me -- still
HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS ABOUT

* Liz Broadwell (broadwel@penndrls.upenn.edu) *                        *
* Department of English                       * Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam *
* The University of Pennsylvania              *                        *