[soc.religion.christian] FAITH - A question for Greek and Hebrew scholars/amateurs

davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) (06/26/91)

A friend of mine, a student of Greek and Hebrew, commented that Faith
from the Greek is a strongly active verb that means to "Trust and Obey".
That is in full agreement with the texts that say, in various forms, "If
you love Me keep my Commandments".  And "Faith without works is dead".
That is Faith without action is not faith at all.  Faith without
repentance is hardly faith.  Biblical faith is a Faith that works.

I looked up the Greek in my Strongs.  It did not use the words "Trust
and Obey".  What do some of the other Bible Hebrew/Greek dictionaries have
to say?

Paul is the one who said "The Just shall live by Faith", and Martin Luther
was very much changed by this text.  Paul was quoting from the Old
Testament and I forget the text.  From the Hebrew it translates that the
Just shall live by "Faithfulness".  This would be a faith that is far
more than simply a one time proclamation of belief in Jesus - a "once
saved always saved" event.  Rather a faith that is faithful to the end.
And there are those who define "once saved always saved" in exactly that
way and I'll not argue with that.

My "Young's Concordance" offers terminology more suggestive of
"Faithfulness" thatn "Trust and Obey".  But perhaps
"Faithfulness" and "Trust and Obey" can be equated?

So, what is "FAITH"?

I'd like to see some students of Greek and/or Hebrew offer their
scholarly or amateur comments on what Faith means.  Perhaps you could
open with some comments as to your credentials or the lack there of and
then tell us what you find the word to mean from your study.  Perhaps
you could quote from some authoritive references.

Thanks,

Dave (David E. Buxton)

[My reference books are at home, so I'm not going to give you a
treatise (to everyone's relief, no doubt).  But the answer may be 'all
of the above'.  This word is one of those critical words that captures
the essense of our relationship with God in one word, which is why it
has lots of implications, different ones of which are emphasized in
different contexts.  Certainly faith means more than intellectual
assent.  Particularly in the OT, the word is often used of God, and
means his faithfulness to his promises.  In the NT, trust, reliance on
God, and obedience seem part of it.  --clh]

daly@strawber.princeton.edu (John Daly) (06/27/91)

I read once, I do not remember where, that "faith" in Aramaic is the
infinitive "to faith".  These carry two very different connotations,
analogous to the difference between "having a cough" and "coughing".
While I can explain to people that I have a cough, if I am coughing
it's obvious to everyone.

   "Have you faithed today?"

Qualifications:  None.  I have no formal knowledge of Greek, Hebrew,
or Aramaic.  I cannot cite any references.

mls@cmcl2.nyu.edu (Michael Siemon) (06/27/91)

In article <Jun.26.00.05.20.1991.16828@athos.rutgers.edu>
davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) writes:

>A friend of mine, a student of Greek and Hebrew, commented that Faith
>from the Greek is a strongly active verb that means to "Trust and Obey".

Well, there is a whole complex of words in Greek related to the noun
_pistis_ which we usually translate (at least in a Christain context)
"faith."  There are two verbs closely related to the noun, _pisteuo:_
which can be rendered as "having _pistis_ [it is a verbal derivative
of the noun], and -- perhaps more surprising -- _peitho:_ meaning to
win over, prevail upon, persuade and a whole raft of of other senses
that involve political argumentation in the assembly of the people.

The broadest meaning of _pistis_ is indeed "trust" (it is cognate to
Latin _fides_, "faithful", remaining true.).  And _pisteuo:_ picks up
this broad sense.   But there an element here too of "belief" or of
"persuasion" (or even of compliance, obedience, confidence ...) that
is related to the more dynamic _peitho:_.  This is a sense, incidentally,
that is *contrasted* to the more "philosophical" _episteme_, knowledge
-- primarily because of its lack of certainty and demonstrability.

In the Septuagint, _pistis_ and _pisteuo:_ are used to translate the
Hebrew _emunah_ and its cognates.  I am not competent to speak about
that, but there are studies which have given a "generic" modern view
of a major constrast between OT usage and _pistis_ as used in the NT.

I write now to recommend a recent book that I have found very suggestive.
It is James L. Kinneavy's _Greek Rhetorical Origins of Christian Faith_,
Oxford University Press, 1987, ISBN #0-19-503735-9.  The title is a bit
misleading -- the "origin" he is trying to trace is that of the CONCEPT
lying behind uses of _pistis_ in the NT (not at all tracing origins of
any *contents* or *goals* of Christian faith.)  I may attempt, when I
have some more time, a fair review of the book.  For now let me cite a
few remarks and suggest Kinneavy's major conclusion.

With regard to the contrast of OT and NT, he cites a number of works
(with little disagreement) going back to D. M. Baille's 1927 _Faith in
God and its Christian Consummation_.

	"Most Christian and some Jewish authorities [says Kinneavy]
	agree that, although some elements of the Christian notion can
	be seen in the Old Testament, what is called faith in the Old
	Testament and what is called faith in the New Testament are
	quite different concepts... [Bailley] posits a hypothetical
	reader coming to the Old Testament from the New Testament and
	expecting to find faith

		'mentioned on almost every page.  But what he would
		really find is -- to put it roughly and broadly -- that
		the Old Testament never mentions faith at all...  In the
		Authorized Version [KJV] he will find the word "faith"
		only twice, and a little investigation will show that in
		both cases the real meaning is probably "good faith" in
		the sense of "faithfulness."...

		'It does not seem likely that faith, in the sense of
		belief or trust in God, is intended.  The Hebrew noun here
		used, and its cognate nouns, never seem in the Old Testament
		to have that meaning.'

	He surveys some important statements on faith in the Old Testament
	(paticularly in relation to Abraham), in Isaiah, and in the Psalms.
	He finds a strong refrain of faith viewed as trust in God.  But the
	combination of trust with belief he does not find.  Trust he calls
	the moral element of faith, and belief he calls the intellectual
	element, and he particularly does not find this second element in
	the Old Testament...

	It is therefore somewhat surprising that the New Testament writers
	have both a common word and a fairly common notion..."

I'll leave Kinneavy at this point.  He goes on to argue -- with great cogency
as far as I can judge -- that the particular combination of notions combined
in _pistis_ in the New Testament writers bears a VERY strong resemblance to
the way the word was used in contemporary Hellenistic rhetorical practice --
this after the "triumph" in popular culture and education of the rhetor over
the philosophers, whose preference for _episteme_ disparaged _pistis_.

This is something for me to digest, as I have long taken the "trust" element
(Bailley's "moral" as opposed to "intellectual" sense of the term) to be the
main one, in something like the OT sense or a sense which "rescues" it from
the philosophers' disdain.  But I have less aquaintence with classical rhe-
toric than I might (and Kinneavy points out that rhetoric has been under a
very dark cloud, notably since the 19th century and its desire for absolute
knowledge, which rhetoric in general knows it cannot reach.)

Kinneavy points to the COMPLEX relation of speaker and audience, in which
there are appeals to ethos (the character and authority of the speaker),to
pathos (the  [legitimate] desires and motives of the hearers) and to logic
(in a general sense of rational discourse with reference to evidence and
inference).  And he traces in NT discourse a substantial body of EACH of
these, and other relevant, rhetorical components, deliberately used as part
of the meaning of _pistis_ and its cognates.  He points to the ubiquity of
rhetorical training throughout the Hellenistic/Roman world (which I knew,
but had not carefully considered in this context).  And he has a good case.
Sufficiently that I, having rested for a while in the broader sense of trust
need to rethink and reevaluate *my* relation to faith.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who like to explore the consequences
of word usage for what words convey, and how that relates to the context in
which the New Testament was written -- and what it must therefore mean to us.
--
Michael L. Siemon		The things we have to have learned
m.siemon@att.com		in order to do, we learn by doing.