[soc.religion.christian] US News and World Report: Jesus Seminar

kutz@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth J. Kutz) (06/27/91)

There are two articles in the July 1, 1991 issue of US News and World Report
which when combined on the same page (page 57) present an interesting
and ironic combination.

The first article is about some assertions made from a panel of about
50 "liberal-to-moderate scholars from universities and divinity schools
around the world".  These assertions state that most of what is
recorded as the words of Jesus in the New Testament are not really his
words but words of others attributed to him.  (One implication of this
is that much of the gospels then are founded on lies which means then
that the foundation of the Christian faith is not trustworthy, but of
the devil, the father of lies).

What I find ironic is the second article which is about a computer
scientist at Stanford that has done some work looking at all of the
Bible verses that are "3:16".  What is most interesting to me is that
if one were to read 2 Tim 3:16 and 2 Peter 3:16, one would read the Bible's
rebuttal to the first article.

--
  Kenneth J. Kutz		  Internet 	kutz@andy.bgsu.edu
  Systems Programmer		  BITNET   	KUTZ@ANDY

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (07/01/91)

+
+The first article is about some assertions made from a panel of about
+50 "liberal-to-moderate scholars from universities and divinity schools
+around the world".  These assertions state that most of what is
+recorded as the words of Jesus in the New Testament are not really his
+words but words of others attributed to him.  (One implication of this
+is that much of the gospels then are founded on lies which means then

There is no such 'implication'. On the one hand Christians criticize
the 'spiritualist' for their 'automatic' writings and then criticize
'scholars' for say that a number of Biblical texts are not
'automatic' writing.

There is no record in the Bible of the 4 Gospel writers actually
recording the events as they happend as we understand such today.
(There was no 'reporter' assigned to follow the group from the
"Jerusalem Times", on the other hand there were no supermarket
tabloids either).

It would seem that most of the events recorded are at best the
reflection of a person some years after (this is of course presuming
that one individual is responsible for a particular book).

jclark@ucsd.edu