[soc.religion.christian] Michael the archangel ... is he Christ?

gnr@cbdkc1.att.com (G Repicz) (06/23/91)

I heard from a pastor friend of mine that SDA's believe that
Christ and Michael the Archangel are the same person(being).
Could some one tell me if this is so.  If so why do they believe that.

                 thanks.

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik A. Johnson) (06/27/91)

gnr@cbdkc1.att.com (G Repicz) writes:
>I heard from a pastor friend of mine that SDA's believe that
>Christ and Michael the Archangel are the same person(being).
>Could some one tell me if this is so.  If so why do they believe that.

I don't know about SDA's (Seventh Day Adventists?), but Jehovah's Witnesses
do believe Christ was merely Michael given a human body.  Thus Jesus is,
in their belief, more than human but certainly not divine.

Erik A. Johnson        \    Internet: johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu     \       |
------------------------\    AmericaOnline: ErikAJ                   \    --+--
Graduate Student         \--------------------------------------------\     |
Aero/Astro Engineering    \  "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and    \    |
University of Illinois at  \  the truth, and the life; no one comes to  \   |
   Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)  \  the Father except through me.'" (Jn14:6)  \

Bjorn.B.Larsen@delab.sintef.no (A 369) (07/01/91)

In article <Jun.23.00.04.37.1991.20289@athos.rutgers.edu> gnr@cbdkc1.att.com (G Repicz) writes:

>   I heard from a pastor friend of mine that SDA's believe that
>   Christ and Michael the Archangel are the same person(being).
>   Could some one tell me if this is so.  If so why do they believe that.
>
>		    thanks.

I would say certainly not!  I have not been studying the Bible on any
Bible school, so I must rely on my own interpretation, and I have, up to
now not found any pointers to this (Michael and Jesus being the same).

Unfortunately I do not have an english Bible at hand, so I shall not try to
cite what it says, merely give a reference which you may read for yourself:

Read for instance Heb. 1; 4 - 14.  In my opinion this is clear evidence that
Jesus can not be Michael.

Consider Verse 6:
	All angels shall worship Him. (Jesus)  That is: Michael will worship
	Jesus.

\Bjorn
               s-mail:                 e-mail:
|   |   |      Bjorn. B. Larsen        bjorn.b.larsen@delab.sintef.no
|__ |__ |      SINTEF DELAB
|  \|  \|      N-7034 TRONDHEIM        tel: +47-7-592682 / 592600
|__/|__/|_     NORWAY                  fax: +47-7-594302