[soc.religion.christian] QUESTION FASHION

jhaynes@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (06/04/91)

Dresses and pants

Help Help Help????  Does anyone know a good book on fashion dress
through the ages.  My problem is this: My brother inlaw is going to a
church where they make the women wear dresses and no questions are
asked.  Everything that I have heard about the days of Jesus' everyone
wore ropes.  [robes?  --clh] Sure I know the Old Testament says women
should not dress as a man or visa versa.  But the subject came up at
work about where did pants come from.  I was told that the women made
pantalooms and man pick up on thenm in Europe I think Italy.  If this
is true than this doctrine about women only wearing dresses is not
from the bible.

At least I cann't find it.  I would like any info on this topic of
fashion from the past.  Please use reply or followup to reply to this
I will post my findings.

Thanks ahead of time.

Joel A. Haynes

JHAYNES%mps.ohio-state.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

MNHCC@cunyvm.bitnet (06/06/91)

Any general library should have books on the history of fashion.
Ask a librarian if you can't find them by yourself.  You are correct
that people wore robes in Biblical times, not trousers.  I think the
basic Biblical teaching is that men should not dress like women and women
should not dress like men.  The garments that men or women should not
wear will vary from one society to another and from one era to another.

Marty Helgesen

mib@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (06/07/91)

In article <Jun.5.23.44.59.1991.1162@athos.rutgers.edu> MNHCC@cunyvm.bitnet writes:

   Any general library should have books on the history of fashion.
   Ask a librarian if you can't find them by yourself.  You are correct
   that people wore robes in Biblical times, not trousers.  I think the
   basic Biblical teaching is that men should not dress like women and women
   should not dress like men.  The garments that men or women should not
   wear will vary from one society to another and from one era to another.

The interesting question is what the standards should be when styles
are changing.  A century ago, women never wore pants (with the
exception of George Sand :-)).  But the style has changed, and now
women wear pants quite regularly.  At what point did the style change,
and it became acceptable for women to wear pants?  Someone posted a
couple days ago about a church where the women never wore pants.  Have
they not recognized the change in style?

Suppose men were to start wearing skirts (I'm told they can be
comfortable sometimes).  At what point does it become fashion, and
thus acceptable?  When it's 10%?  20%?  And, if it is wrong to dress
outside the fashion's gender roles, when does the fashion ever change?
Just appealing to "fashion" doesn't seem to answer the question very
well.  (Of course, the law in question is found in the book of
Leviticus, so I'm not too inclined to take it as authoritative
anyway.)

	-mib

henning@acsu.buffalo.edu (Karl forgot Henning) (06/07/91)

Marty Helgesen writes:

>... I think the
>basic Biblical teaching is that men should not dress like women and women
>should not dress like men.  The garments that men or women should not
>wear will vary from one society to another and from one era to another.

From exactly what texts is this curious dictum distilled?

kph

--
    "The study of crime begins with the knowledge of oneself.  All that you
     despise, all that you loathe, all that you reject, all that you condemn

henning@acsu.buffalo.edu (Karl telemeter Henning) (06/10/91)

Michael I Bushnell writes:

>Suppose men were to start wearing skirts (I'm told they can be
>comfortable sometimes) ...

And what is a kilt, but a skirt in all but name?  And yes, they
are quite comfortable.

kph

--

jhpb@garage.att.com (Joseph H Buehler) (06/10/91)

In article <Jun.6.23.16.00.1991.8673@athos.rutgers.edu> henning@acsu.buffalo.edu (Karl forgot Henning) writes:

   >... I think the
   >basic Biblical teaching is that men should not dress like women and women
   >should not dress like men.  The garments that men or women should not
   >wear will vary from one society to another and from one era to another.

   From exactly what texts is this curious dictum distilled?

Deuteronomy 22:5:

    A woman shall not be clothed with man's apparel, neither shall a man
    use women's apparel: for he that doeth these things is abominable
    before God.

There are a fair number of Catholics attached to the traditions of the
Church who are dead set against women wearing pants.  (I am one of
them!)

Fashions and modesty are to some extent things that change from age to
age.  But I think we've gone too far in our society.  The bikini and cut-
off shorts have to go, in particular.

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (06/10/91)

In article <Jun.6.23.12.19.1991.8407@athos.rutgers.edu> mib@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) writes:
+
+The interesting question is what the standards should be when styles
+are changing.  A century ago, women never wore pants (with the
+exception of George Sand :-)).  But the style has changed, and now

And a large number of non-european women in Asia.

The last 'assembly' I went to while a at a 'Christian' collage(my
stay there was very brief, 1 10-week quarter) had as the topic "Dress
codes". The main point of the lecture was that one did not have to
be as radical as had been advocated by a guest lecturer who had spoken at
some point in time before(I must have missed it somehow).
What this person had advocated for women was a very large gown which
had a 'hoop' at the neck. The hoop was extended out to beyond the
solders and the gown draped down to near the floor. I.e, removing
any impression of the 'female' figure. The lecturer felt this would
prevent 'lustful' looks being aimed at women, or women dressing to
induce 'lustful' looks. Fortunately, the school lecturers where
countering these statements with a form of attire which did allow
the female figure to be discerned but did not promote the 'evil'
lustfulness of 'secular' dress. I believe women were required to
wear dresses to church. Since I was in the 'wrong' place, I skipped
the church activities. However I was 'required' to attend
'chapel'. (There were little computer punch cards to be picked up at
each session, at some point if one did not have enough attendences
one got a summons to the dean's office to find out why).
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

jhaynes@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (06/11/91)

> Deuteronomy 22:5:
>
>     A woman shall not be clothed with man's apparel, neither shall a man
>     use women's apparel: for he that doeth these things is abominable
>     before God.

O.K.  I ask a simple question that seem to get a little out of hand I don't
care what the religions of today say I want to know where pants originated
from.  The verse above says a lot but back when it was written pants were a
thing of the future.  Robes were what both man and women wore.  Man from what I
read had a belt around the waist to carry sling shots, swords, and what ever
else they wanted to carry.  On the other hand women didn't wear a belt but the
robes were very similar.  Men wore shorter robes like mini skirits.  Women
sometime had a veil with there apparel unlike the men except for the hood to
cover the head for reading the scriptures.  Could the verse above mean the
appearance of the apparel i.e. the belt the veil or whatever else distinguished
the man from the woman.  Again the question is where did pants come from did
women invent them and if so could the make of the jeans or pants tell if they
are for a man or a woman.  I know I would never wear a pant suit made for a
woman. but on the other hand I am not offended when I see women wear man's
jeans.  In todays society I think and this is my person opinion that I would
rather see women in pants not dresses for the fact that rapers prefer women in
dresses than pants because they are easier to remove.

In His Hands,

Joel

gibbons@csn.org (Hugh Gibbons) (06/12/91)

In article <Jun.6.23.12.19.1991.8407@athos.rutgers.edu> mib@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) writes:

>The interesting question is what the standards should be when styles
>are changing.  A century ago, women never wore pants (with the
>exception of George Sand :-)).  But the style has changed, and now
>women wear pants quite regularly.  At what point did the style change...

The passage in question doesn't make any mention of styles.  It
is a prohibition against cross-dressing (for the purpose of
looking like a member of the opposite sex) which was considered
a sexual perversion.

--
--------------------
:-) Hugh Gibbons (-:

fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Cathy Fasano) (06/12/91)

In article <Jun.9.15.22.54.1991.25581@athos.rutgers.edu> jhpb@garage.att.com (Joseph H Buehler) writes:
>Deuteronomy 22:5:
>
>    A woman shall not be clothed with man's apparel, neither shall a man
>    use women's apparel: for he that doeth these things is abominable
>    before God.
>
>There are a fair number of Catholics attached to the traditions of the
>Church who are dead set against women wearing pants.  (I am one of
>them!)

Hmmmm...  I presume such Catholics are aware that when it came to following
the customs of his predecessors, our current pope drew the line at wearing
only cassock and skivvies (he wears pants underneath the cassock.)  So,
what the heck -- if Pope Paul can wear a dress, I figure I can wear
pants. (A cassock is not a dress, you say?  Well, women's pants are not
men's clothing either.  You see, women are shaped differently than men
(different hormones, you know), and most men would be mighty uncomfortable
in clothing which is designed for people who have hips larger than
their waists.)  Likewise, I think you'd have to stretch pretty far to
say that an 8-1/2 month pregnant woman in maternity clothes is "clothed
with man's apparel," especially with all that spandex to provide support
for her lower back and belly.  (Although last weekend at the Point I
did see some guys with hairy beer bellies hanging out from under too
small t-shirts who looked like they could use the extra support of
maternity clothes!)

>Fashions and modesty are to some extent things that change from age to
>age.  But I think we've gone too far in our society.  The bikini and cut-
>off shorts have to go, in particular.

I must say I agree -- but that just might have a teensy little bit to
do with being 40lbs overweight 8-).  In fact, in the "Cathy's 1991 Calendar
of Women's Fantasies" (the comic-strip Cathy, not me -- although sometimes
it's hard to tell the difference :-) the June Fantasy is: "Tomorrow's
swimwear will feature billowy tops and baggy boxers for women, while
men will be wearing the new spandex micro-mini suits."

But seriously, we should keep in mind that when Jesus talked about "lusting
after a woman" he called this a sin of the luster and not the lustee.  Quite
frankly, I lack both the time and the imagination to worry about *everything*
which *might* turn on some pervert that I *might* meet, so I have simply
adopted the working hypothesis that all men are potential rapists, and this
is completely independent of what I do, say or wear.
--
Cathy Fasano   fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu   cathy@gargoyle.uchicago.edu

"The Church and the World are jammed to the rafters these days with people
willing to get involved, get their hands dirty, take risks, make sacrifices,
hurl themselves at spears, lead the advance, inspire, illuminate, encourage,
organize and manage great affairs.  I find most such folks insufferable,
even if they are my brothers and sisters in Christ.  Where are the people
willing to sit on the sidelines and find fault?"        -- Michael O. Garvey

mejicovs@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (06/12/91)

In article <Jun.10.23.31.54.1991.1251@athos.rutgers.edu> jhaynes@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:

>> Deuteronomy 22:5:
>>
>>     A woman shall not be clothed with man's apparel, neither shall a man
>>     use women's apparel: for he that doeth these things is abominable
>>     before God.

>the man from the woman.  Again the question is where did pants come from did
>women invent them and if so could the make of the jeans or pants tell if they
>are for a man or a woman.  I know I would never wear a pant suit made for a

  Maybe I can help :)

  Today I know reasonably strict women (Othodox Jews) who will wear
a tshirt and pants.  This is per the halachah above, because they
feel that a woman's cut of pants are specifically not men's clothing
and that t-shirts are essentially neuter clothing (like the hair-pin
I keep my kipa on with :).

  Other women will not accept this and only wear dresses or other
clothing specifically designed for women.

  The Responsa on the subject says that the clothing has to be
distinguishable by sight from a medium distance.  The determination
is then left up to the specific individual...

If I may be so bold:

  Is the observanc of this in churches based on cultural reasons
or biblical reasons?

All responses obviously welcome...

(heck, I responded)

James
mejicovs@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

mib@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (06/14/91)

In article <Jun.11.22.36.30.1991.23759@athos.rutgers.edu> gibbons@csn.org (Hugh Gibbons) writes:

   >The interesting question is what the standards should be when styles
   >are changing.  A century ago, women never wore pants (with the
   >exception of George Sand :-)).  But the style has changed, and now
   >women wear pants quite regularly.  At what point did the style change...

   The passage in question doesn't make any mention of styles.  It
   is a prohibition against cross-dressing (for the purpose of
   looking like a member of the opposite sex) which was considered
   a sexual perversion.

Who is to judge the purpose of cross-dressing?  I don't wear dresses,
but if I did it would be for humor, not for the purpose of looking
like a member of the opposite sex.  When women wore pants, and were
criticized by people quoting just the passage in question, they
weren't doing so in order to look like men, they were doing so in
order to wear more comfortable clothes (and other reasons as well).

The definition of which clothes make a person look like which sex is
precisely a matter of fashion and style.

	-mib

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (06/14/91)

In article <Jun.11.22.36.30.1991.23759@athos.rutgers.edu> gibbons@csn.org (Hugh Gibbons) writes:
+
+The passage in question doesn't make any mention of styles.  It
+is a prohibition against cross-dressing (for the purpose of
+looking like a member of the opposite sex) which was considered
+a sexual perversion.

Depended on the situation as to the 'perversion' content. There are
a number of of references which tell of using 'cross-dressing'
during worship rituals and/or theater plays, 'Theater' being derived
from a form of worship. In these activities there seems to have been
various sexual displays. As for 'cross-dressing' outside of this
context it seems that if it was done it was derided, considered in
bad taste.

I have heard the comment that 'religious' aspect is what Paul was
addressing when he made the prohibition against 'cross-dressing'.
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

HWT@bnr.ca (H.W.) (06/15/91)

John Clark cites those who advocate forms of dress to conceal the female
figure, preventing 'lustfulness'.

It's interesting to note that such forms of dress (i.e. in many arabic
cultures) are based on a myth of limitless male virility and nonexistent
male self control.  Basically, the claim is that males of these cultures
are so 'potent' that they can't control themselves if they see even a
little female flesh.

This, of course, says little for the males - IMWO (in my westernized
opinion).

I'd claim in fact, that in a civilized culture one ought to be able to
walk down the street naked without anyone taking any more notice than if
you were clothed - or vice versa.

--
Henry Troup - HWT@BNR.CA (Canada) - BNR owns but does not share my opinions

kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu (Dr Nancy's Sweetie) (06/15/91)

Hugh Gibbons writes that the prohibition against cross-dressing aims at
dressing for the purpose of looking like a member of the opposite sex.

Mike Bushnell replies by asking how one knows the purpose; if he wore a
dress it would be for humor value, not to imitate a female.

I'd like to suggest a case where men put on dresses specifically to fool
others into thinking that they are female: police officers on mugging detail.
If a police officer dresses to look like a woman for the purpose of catching
criminals, I assume that would be okay -- *even if* the goal of the dress was
to imitate a member of the opposite sex as best as possible.

Mike also writes:
> When women wore pants, and were criticized by people quoting just the
>passage in question, they weren't doing so in order to look like men, they
>were doing so in order to wear more comfortable clothes (and other reasons
>as well).

And I was wondering whether Joe Buehler actually meant to say that clothing
which makes work easier is not appropriate for women.

Suppose you are in an upside-down car in a ditch; the paramedic who climbs
through your windshield to check your pulse happens to be female.  Do you
really want to hamper your rescuer by asking her to wear a dress?

kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu      Darren F. Provine      ...njin!gboro!kilroy
"Miss Manners go sick of the fight over pants long ago -- it was raging on
 a level with fights over lengths of hair for men, which is a poor excuse
 for a good fight.  Miss Manners also has a pretty good idea that most people
 are well aware of how they can dress to shock or to conform; which they wish
 to do is up to them." -- Judith Martin

jhpb@garage.att.com (Joseph H Buehler) (06/22/91)

In article <Jun.15.02.10.14.1991.18718@athos.rutgers.edu> kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu (Dr Nancy's Sweetie) writes:

   And I was wondering whether Joe Buehler actually meant to say that clothing
   which makes work easier is not appropriate for women.

   Suppose you are in an upside-down car in a ditch; the paramedic who climbs
   through your windshield to check your pulse happens to be female.  Do you
   really want to hamper your rescuer by asking her to wear a dress?

What can I say?  None of my friend's sisters ever wear anything but very
feminine dresses.  Should they wear pants just in case they have to
crawl inside a car to rescue someone?

[I think the question kilroy was asking is whether you would object to
pants in situations where they have functional benefits.  This sort
of question helps clarify your position.  --clh]

grossg@patriot.rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) (06/25/91)

In article <Jun.9.14.44.48.1991.25095@athos.rutgers.edu> henning@acsu.buffalo.edu (Karl telemeter Henning) writes:
>Michael I Bushnell writes:
>

>>Suppose men were to start wearing skirts (I'm told they can be
>>comfortable sometimes) ...
>
>And what is a kilt, but a skirt in all but name?  And yes, they
>are quite comfortable.

Aye!  They are comfortable, but don't let a Scotsman here you calling
them a skirt. ;-)  The kilt served for more than dress.

Gene

jhpb@garage.att.com (Joseph H Buehler) (06/25/91)

In article <Jun.22.01.21.06.1991.6972@athos.rutgers.edu> jhpb@garage.att.com (Joseph H Buehler) writes:

   In article <Jun.15.02.10.14.1991.18718@athos.rutgers.edu> kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu (Dr Nancy's Sweetie) writes:

	  And I was wondering whether Joe Buehler actually meant to say that clothing
	  which makes work easier is not appropriate for women.

	  Suppose you are in an upside-down car in a ditch; the paramedic who climbs
	  through your windshield to check your pulse happens to be female.  Do you
	  really want to hamper your rescuer by asking her to wear a dress?

   What can I say?  None of my friend's sisters ever wear anything but very
   feminine dresses.  Should they wear pants just in case they have to
   crawl inside a car to rescue someone?

   [I think the question kilroy was asking is whether you would object to
   pants in situations where they have functional benefits.  This sort
   of question helps clarify your position.  --clh]

I grant, a dress is not always the most modest or practical thing for a
woman to wear.  The point I was trying to make was that I think it more
important to talk about the rule, rahter than the exception, lest the
exception become the rule.

gja@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Grenville Armitage) (06/27/91)

In article <Jun.25.03.39.48.1991.7330@athos.rutgers.edu> jhpb@garage.att.com (Joseph H Buehler) writes:

	[...]

>I grant, a dress is not always the most modest or practical thing for a
>woman to wear.  The point I was trying to make was that I think it more
>important to talk about the rule, rahter than the exception, lest the
>exception become the rule.

Much of the discussion so far has been in response to your perceived
attitude that "this rule has no exception", hasn't it? If you then
accept that there are situations where your "rule" doesn't apply
then your "rule" is incorrect. You need to re-word your "rule" to
embrace the situation you have apparently conceeded is okay but
chose to term an "exception".

gja

rona@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Ron Abramson) (07/01/91)

gibbons@csn.org (Hugh Gibbons) writes:

[Referring to Deu 22:5]
>The passage in question doesn't make any mention of styles.  It
>is a prohibition against cross-dressing (for the purpose of
>looking like a member of the opposite sex) which was considered
>a sexual perversion.

What makes you say that?  I'm not flaming you or anyone else, Hugh,
I just don't see any evidence to back up this assertion.

As with any OT law, there are two things to consider here:

 1. Why does this prohibition appear in the OT?  (i.e. What is the
    context?)

 2. Does it apply to Christians today?

Question 1 is the more difficult of the two.  I have read that this
passage was aimed at paganist rituals in which the priests would
dress as women.  Can anyone else add to this?

With regard to the second question, I would have to say that the
answer is pretty clearly *NO* for most of us.  That is, the scripture
simply does not apply *for most of us*.  Unless a person intends
to obey and insist that others obey every law in the OT, why pull
a single verse out of context in this way.  Let us consider some
of the other prohibitions in this same chapter:

Deu22:8 When thou buildest a new house, then thou shalt make a
battlement for thy roof, that thou bring not blood upon thine house,
if any man fall from thence.
Deu22:10 Thou shalt not plow with an ox and an ass together.
Deu22:11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen
and linen together.
Deu22:12 Thou shalt make thee fringes upon the four quarters of thy
vesture, wherewith thou coverest thyself.

Everyone with a battlement on your roof and four fringes on your vest,
please raise your hand.

I am aware of chruches near my home which insist that women
wear dresses, and yet the men are not required to wear four fringes
on their vests.  Now, if a particular church made an honest attempt
to follow the entire OT law, that would be something else.

As far as "cross-dressing as a sexual perversion", I must really question
this assertion as well.  Someone has already pointed out that police
officers have been known to cross-dress for the purpose of catching
criminals.  Also, actors (e.g. Dustin Hoffman) have cross-dressed
recently for the purpose of comedy.  A few hundred years ago, there
was no such thing as an "actress" so men played the parts of women.
In neither of these cases was this a "sexual perversion" IMHO.  Also,
what do you say to the "boys" born with the birth defect of undescended
testicles when at puberty the male organs suddenly appeared on a person
whom everyone thought was a girl.  Dressed and trained to be girls from
birth, do we tell them that they are to suddenly start dressing as boys
because of their genitals in spite of the feminine socialization which
they've received since birth?  Is a person who has undergone
a sex change operation considered to be wearing the clothes of the
opposite sex?  And what about a person born with both sets of sexual
organs?  (yes, this does happen)  And how about a woman who wears
men's rock climbing boots or men's soccer shoes because the func-
tion she needs is not available in the clothing of her gender?  For
that matter what about the man who wears an apron while washing the
dishes?  And what if a man wears women's makeup on his face to hide
a scar?  For years my wife wore my Pendleton wool shirt (clearly a
man's shirt) not just because it was warm and comfortable but because
she liked the style and color.

In every case above, it is not the clothes or the behaviour, but the
motive which determines how we view that behaviour.  IMHO, the clothes
that a person wears is a very poor basis to use in passing judgement
on another person.  Also, IMHO, it is foolish to assume that you
understand another person's motives for doing *anything* unless you
know that person.

I believe that my God does not care what clothes we wear unless our
motive for wearing the clothes is wickedness.

                              -- Ron