[soc.religion.christian] Church of Christ

sasbrb@unx.sas.com (Brendan Bailey) (06/26/91)

   Does anyone have any information on the Church of Christ?
Everyone I've talked with that are members are simply estatic
about it, but I've talked with several people who had really
bad experiences with them, to the point of calling them cults.
It evidently started in Florida as the Crossroads Church, moved
to Atlanta and Boston.  I read they're strong in Birmingham and
they now have a following in Chapel Hill, NC.
   I'd appreciate any information about this organization, good
or bad.  Thanks!

------------------------
Brendan Bailey
sasbrb@unx.sas.com
------------------------

rjb@akgua.att.com (Robert J Brown) (06/27/91)

In article <Jun.26.00.20.54.1991.21760@athos.rutgers.edu>, sasbrb@unx.sas.com (Brendan Bailey) writes:

>    Does anyone have any information on the Church of Christ?
> Everyone I've talked with that are members are simply estatic
> about it, but I've talked with several people who had really
> bad experiences with them, to the point of calling them cults.
> It evidently started in Florida as the Crossroads Church, moved
> to Atlanta and Boston.  I read they're strong in Birmingham and
> they now have a following in Chapel Hill, NC.
>    I'd appreciate any information about this organization, good
> or bad.  Thanks!
>
> ------------------------
> Brendan Bailey
> sasbrb@unx.sas.com

Note that this group, whose official name I've forgotten, IS NOT the
denominational group Church of Christ.  THe denomination is long
standing and related doctrinally to the Disciples of Christ and the
Christian Church denominations.

The bad press that the Fla-Atlanta-Boston group has gained revolves
around their reported extreme practice of shepherding or discipleship.
You have to get "permission" for most every activity of significance
from the person you're submitted to.  Should I buy a car, get married,
shall we have a child, etc..??  All these life questions must be
approved by your shepherd.  Most American Christians, with our uneasy
relationship with authority (at least Boomers :-)), find this over-
indulgence in authority-submission a little overboard and cult-like.

I'm not familiar enough with their other doctrines to render any
opinion and readily admit that what I've presented may contain
media distortion since I personally know no one in the group.

Bobby - akgua!rjb

vkessler@ncratl.atlantaga.ncr.com (Vance Kessler) (07/01/91)

I would like to point out that the 'Church of Christ' you are talking about
is a break-away group from the original Church of Christ.  I have been a
member of the church for over 10 years and the church itself has been in
exsistence, in the U.S., for about 200 years.  The first church in the U.S.
was started around Savannah Ga.

The 'Church of Christ' you are talking about practices some things that I,
and everyone else I know in the chruch, would not do.  All in all our chruch
is a fundemental one and in no way resembles a cult.

catfood@ncoast.org (Mark W. Schumann) (07/01/91)

rjb@akgua.att.com (Robert J Brown) writes:
>In article <Jun.26.00.20.54.1991.21760@athos.rutgers.edu>, sasbrb@unx.sas.com (Brendan Bailey) writes:
>>
>>    Does anyone have any information on the Church of Christ?

>Note that this group, whose official name I've forgotten, IS NOT the
>denominational group Church of Christ.  THe denomination is long
>standing and related doctrinally to the Disciples of Christ and the
>Christian Church denominations.

The one you are talking about, Robert, is actually the UNITED Church
of Christ.  We used to be the Congregational (one one hand) and the
Evangelical & Reformed (on the other hand) before the merger in 1957.
The UCC is generally considered a more liberal denomination.

But your point is correct; there is no relation here.

Mark W. Schumann  3111 Mapledale Avenue, Cleveland 44109 USA
Domain: catfood@ncoast.org
UUCP:   ...!mailrus!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!catfood

[There's also a Church of Christ, different from the U.C.C.  Indeed
there are probably several different ones.  The one I know of came
from one of the many movements that were dissatisfied with all the
separate denominations, and tried to recreate the Church as it was in
the NT.  The intent of the name is that this isn't just a
denomination, this is the real Church as Christ meant it to be.
Unfortunately, unless you can convince everybody else, you end up just
another denomination -- but one with a very confusing name.  --clh]