[net.lan] TCP/IP for VMS; quick info

brad@gcc-milo.ARPA (Brad Parker) (05/13/86)

(I know this goes around about once every 60 days, but...)

I need 1-2 paragraphs on the relative merits of Wollegong vs. Fusion
TCP/IP for VMS. Please don't focus on price; mail functionality and
telnet ability (to BSD4.2) are most important.

-pointers to ftp'able files would also be helpful (digests, etc...)

--

J Bradford Parker
General Computer (HyperDrive Beach)

"Paradise... is exactly like where you are right now - only much, much better."
	-L. Anderson

phil@amdcad.UUCP (05/15/86)

In article <575@gcc-milo.ARPA> brad@gcc-milo.UUCP (Brad Parker) writes:
>I need 1-2 paragraphs on the relative merits of Wollegong vs. Fusion
>TCP/IP for VMS. Please don't focus on price; mail functionality and
>telnet ability (to BSD4.2) are most important.

Here's 1-2 sentences. TWG won't give free evaluations. You have to pay
several $K to try it. Last I heard, Fusion didn't have the telnet
daemon or the ftp daemon. But NRC is on the net and can surely tell
you more themselves. Don't overlook Excelan. They are not really on
the net (they seem to have trouble posting) but have a product which
looks pretty good so far.
--

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

jt@minnie.UUCP (Jerry Toporek) (05/15/86)

In article <11675@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>Last I heard, Fusion didn't have the telnet
>daemon or the ftp daemon. But NRC is on the net and can surely tell
>you more themselves.

Yes, we're here, but come on Phil, didn't we just have a short conversation
in this group about how the FUSION telnet daemon works on VMS?

Yes, FUSION support for VMS includes a telnet daemon and an ftp daemon.

Information on our mailer and smtp daemon for VMS will be hard to find on the
net as these are only at beta sites, but they, too, exist.

--
=========================    `` ''    ====================================
Jerry Toporek               <`@-@'>             Network Research Corp.

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (05/18/86)

In article <193@minnie.UUCP> jt@minnie.UUCP (Jerry Toporek) writes:
>In article <11675@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>>Last I heard, Fusion didn't have the telnet
>>daemon or the ftp daemon. But NRC is on the net and can surely tell
>>you more themselves.
>
>Yes, we're here, but come on Phil, didn't we just have a short conversation
>in this group about how the FUSION telnet daemon works on VMS?
>
>Yes, FUSION support for VMS includes a telnet daemon and an ftp daemon.

Oops, I must have been thinking of System V. Sorry.
--
 Never trust a major ending in science. Real sciences don't need to
 advertise their scientific nature. Physics, chemistry, biology.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

eric@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Eric Lavitsky) (05/22/86)

<foo>

TWG doesn't give free evaluations? - we had their MicroVax product
on a 30 day evaluation that turned into several months of
evaluation due to other delays locally...

Eric
--
ARPA:	LAVITSKY@RUTGERS or LAVITSKY@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...{ihnp4,pyrnj}!topaz!eric