[net.lan] Recommendations requested for VMS <-> PC LAN

elias@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (elias) (05/16/86)

...i've been asked by a friend to recommend a means of connecting
a VAX 750 running VMS to upwards of 10 - 15 PC/AT's running MS-DOS.
No virtual-terminal facilities are required, just (it seems) simply
using the 750 as a remote file-server.  The machines will be physically
separated by about 300 yds.  A simplified, probably menu-based user-
interface will be layered on top of whatever is used.

...as far as i can tell, something like Kermit should suffice; as i've
never had to mess with this particular kind of critter, i'd like to
request recommendations from anyone who has experience with this
kind of setup...e-mail only, please, i can't see this as being of
widespread interest.

much grass
doug

elias@batcomputer       ||     ...!decvax!cu-arpa!batcomputer!elias

jbs@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (05/17/86)

In article <304@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> elias@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (elias) writes:
>...i've been asked by a friend to recommend a means of connecting
>a VAX 750 running VMS to upwards of 10 - 15 PC/AT's running MS-DOS.
>No virtual-terminal facilities are required, just (it seems) simply
>using the 750 as a remote file-server.  The machines will be physically
>separated by about 300 yds.  A simplified, probably menu-based user-
>interface will be layered on top of whatever is used.

Hmm.  Our nameserver can't seem to resolve your hostname...

Anyway, The following is quoted from Digital sales literature.
Contact your friendly DEC salesman for more information.

"DECnet-DOS now lets selected IBM personal computers participate as
nonrouting (end) nodes in DECnet computer networks.[...]

"DECnet-DOS offers task-to-task communications, remote file access,
utilities for network file operations, network command terminal
support, and network resource sharing using the Digital Network
Architecture (DNA) protocols.[...]"

The price is $500 for a single-system license.

Jeff Siegal

lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) (05/19/86)

In article <2006@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, jbs@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
> In article <304@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> elias@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (elias) writes:
> >...i've been asked by a friend to recommend a means of connecting
> >a VAX 750 running VMS to upwards of 10 - 15 PC/AT's running MS-DOS.

etc.

> Anyway, The following is quoted from Digital sales literature.
> Contact your friendly DEC salesman for more information.
>
> "DECnet-DOS now lets selected IBM personal computers participate as
> nonrouting (end) nodes in DECnet computer networks.[...]

more etc.

The last time I called DEC about DECnet-DOS, I was told that it was
version specific for DOS 2.0 (1?). Furthermore, I was informed that
only async drivers were available. In a nutshell, I was NOT impressed.
If anyone knows of a new release or if my information is dated/wrong,
PLEASE post a correction. If they ever get a 3.x version with ethernet
support, I could still put it to good use.

--

Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.

 UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lhasa!lotto
 ARPA:  lotto@harvard.EDU
 CSNET: lotto%harvard@csnet-relay

jbs@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (05/19/86)

In article <594@talcott.UUCP> lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) writes:
>If anyone knows of a new release or if my information is dated/wrong,
>PLEASE post a correction. If they ever get a 3.x version with ethernet
>support, I could still put it to good use.

Forget about ethernet.  The literature says (in bold print):

Note:  DECnet-DOS does not support direct connection to Ethernet.

Oh well.

Jeff Siegal

dts@cullvax.UUCP (Daniel T Senie) (05/19/86)

> In article <2006@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, jbs@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
> > In article <304@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> elias@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (elias) writes:
> > >...i've been asked by a friend to recommend a means of connecting
> > >a VAX 750 running VMS to upwards of 10 - 15 PC/AT's running MS-DOS.
>
> etc.
>
> > Anyway, The following is quoted from Digital sales literature.
> > Contact your friendly DEC salesman for more information.
> >
> > "DECnet-DOS now lets selected IBM personal computers participate as
> > nonrouting (end) nodes in DECnet computer networks.[...]
>
> more etc.
>
> The last time I called DEC about DECnet-DOS, I was told that it was
> version specific for DOS 2.0 (1?). Furthermore, I was informed that
> only async drivers were available. In a nutshell, I was NOT impressed.
> If anyone knows of a new release or if my information is dated/wrong,
> PLEASE post a correction. If they ever get a 3.x version with ethernet
> support, I could still put it to good use.

We tested DECnet-DOS when it first came out. The PC/AT we tested on was
running DOS 3.0 or 3.1. There is no problem with using either of these.
(The demonstration was in my own office on my AT...).

The latest version of DECnet-DOS includes Ethernet hookup using the 3Com
or Interlan boards. (Non-intelligent versions, if I remember correctly).

The package worked just fine. We decided not to go with it since we
abandoned VMS for Ultrix about a month after that demonstration.

--
Daniel T. Senie                          TEL.: (617) 329-7700 x3168
Cullinet Software, Inc.                  UUCP: seismo!mit-eddie!cullvax!dts

tihor@acf4.UUCP (Stephen Tihor) (05/20/86)

The current DECnet-DOS material specificly states taht it supports the 3Com and
MICOM (nee Interlan) Ethernet boards.

sutter@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) (05/22/86)

In article <2016@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, jbs@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU(Jeff Siegal) writes:
> In article <594@talcott.UUCP> lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) writes:
> >If anyone knows of a new release or if my information is dated/wrong,
> >PLEASE post a correction. If they ever get a 3.x version with ethernet
> >support, I could still put it to good use.
>
> Forget about ethernet.  The literature says (in bold print):
>
> Note:  DECnet-DOS does not support direct connection to Ethernet.

I have seen DECnet-DOS running on an AT connected to a skinny Ethernet.  The
DEC sales/Networking support person demonstrating it at the DEC sales talk
said it was a 3com board.  He said it is explicitly supported under release
1.1, which is current, and that several other brands (Micom?) are likewise
supported.  He also said that DEC plans to come out with a PC Ethernet board
of their own, though I'm not sure what the advantages would be over using a
3com board other than more assured continued support :-)

Also, look for an Ethernet card from DEC for your Rainbow-100 by the end of
the year, and corresponding DECnet support.  And doesn't somebody called
something like "Innovation" make one now?

I wonder if DECnet and MIT's PC/IP could coexist on a PC like DECnet and
Wollongong's TCP/IP coexist on a VMS VAX?
--
-----
Human: Bob Sutterfield