[comp.mail] Correcting/Augmenting Mail Headers

mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) (06/30/91)

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:
>In article <1991Jun20.022606.1680@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>> In article <FWP1.91Jun19183837@Jester.CC.MsState.Edu> fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu
>> (Frank Peters) writes:
>>> I realize how easy it is to spoof via smtp.  But I would have thought this
>>  Great security hazard.
>We use this bug to work around another bug when sending
>mail inside GNU emacs. But since it doesn't *add* any additional security
             ^^^^^^^^^---- NN and GNU emacs mail users, please read on.

At my site, it is necessary to override the default Reply-To: field
because my mailhost does not add the domain part.  It just sends
user@host (i.e. not user@host.harris.ess.com).  The fellow who
suggested that I correct this manually (via nn "mail-headers" and
"new-headers" variables) also pointed out an optional (?)
Return-receipt-to: field which automatically sends an end-to-end
acknowledgement when the mail is delivered (or perhaps when it is
read?).  Is this supported by all smtp servers?

Although I recognize the spoofing potential, the Reply-to: and
Return-receipt-to: fields are extremely valuable when used correctly.
I also realize that proper system configuration would take care of
this, but in the absence of a sendmail literate sysadmin, I must do
this myself.

My question is this: How can I enable these features (Reply-to: header
and end-to-end ack) in all my mail, rather than just mail and postings
sent from inside "nn" (e.g. GNU emacs rmail and vm)?  Is there a
comp.mail.headers FAQ or internet RFC which describes other header
options available to the user?
--

					- Scott
M. Scott Wills,  Mail Stop: 102-4844     INTERNET: mwills@x102a.ess.harris.com