Date:    8 May 1989, 09:23:14 EDT
From:    David M. Chess  <CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET>
Subject: re: Comment on SYS command (PC)

> Any competent programmer knows that the SYS command
> has to overwrite the boot sector.

I see a little education is needed here!   A standard fixed disk
has at least two (2) boot records.   The first is sometimes called the
"master boot record".   You can read it with code like

    MOV AX,0201h               ; Read one sector
    MOV BX,0500h               ;  into DS:0500
    MOV CX,0001h               ;  from absolute sector 1
    MOV DX,0080h               ;  on drive C:
    INT 13h                    ;  now, please

The master boot record's job is to look through the partition
table for a bootable partition, load the partition boot sector
(see below) from that partition, and pass control to it.  The
master boot sector is put on the disk by FDISK (for instance).
It is *not* written or updated by the SYS command.   If a virus
(like the "Stoned") infects the master boot record, SYS is
*not* going to help any.   (This is vanilla IBM PC-DOS's
SYS command that I'm talking about; there may, of course,
be other systems whose SYS commands do something different.)
The master boot record is very very simple, and doesn't
contain anything about DOS versions (take a look at it yourself
and see!).

The other important boot record is the partition boot record.
This is the record that the master boot record reads in and
passes control to.   If the partition is a DOS partition (as
most of them are, hehe!), this is a DOS boot record.   You can
look at it in DEBUG for instance, with commands like

   -l 500 2 0 1
   -d 500
   -u 500

You'll notice that what's displayed here includes the DOS version
number and so on, and is *different* from what you saw when you
did the BIOS call given above.   This DOS boot record is what
the SYS command overwrites.

> We have advised over 300 infected corporations involving over
> 20,000 infected computers and 100,000 infected floppies...

On a floppy disk, of course, there is only one boot record, and
the SYS command does replace it.   But fixed disks have more than
one boot record (if there are "extended partitions" on the disk,
I think there can actually be *three* types!), and SYS only writes
to one of them.  So SYS should not be counted on to Fix Everything,
even if invoked from a clean system.

Sorry if that upsets you, Alan and Tim, and I'd be glad to be
corrected if I'm wrong!   But try the things suggested above,
and see if you come to agree with me.   I tried it myself: made
a change to my master boot record, SYSed the disk from a clean
system, and noticed that the master change was still there.

> The virus situation is not a joke, a game or a playground.
> Many of us have dedicated full time efforts for over a year to
> understand and deal with waht's happening.

Couldn't agree with your more!   I've been fighting these
ugly things since early '88 myself (brag, brag), and I know
it's not a joke.  It's only by careful study, and tolerance
of each other's errors and foibles, that we can efficiently
cope with this new challenge.   Hang in there!

Dave Chess
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center

* Affiliation given for identification purposes only;
* all information herein represents the opinion of the
* writer, and not necessarily that of his employer.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 May 89 09:12:01 PDT
From:    rogers@cod.nosc.mil (Rollo D. Rogers)
Subject: POSSIBLE NEW PC VIRUS

I do not know if this is realy a NEW virus, but this campus is now in
the middle of a large infection.

The virus is not destructive UNLESS the disk it is trying to infect is
full (it needs one cluster -- 1024 bytes)

HERE IS WHAT IT DOES:
At some time a single character will start bouncing around the screen
but you can still continue to do what ever you want.

HERE IS HOW IT SPREADS:
It loads into memory at boot time ONLY! (taking 2K of free memory)
If you boot with a clean disk, you are safe.
If you boot from an infected disk (hard drive or floopy) it will
then stay in memory (until a warm reboot) and transfer its self
to ANY disk (bootable or not) when ANY disk operation are done.
Then if you boot that disk on another computer it will start
transfering its self again.

HERE IS HOW TO FIND IT:
On your disk it marks its self as a bad cluster. BUT you can read it.
(it picks the FIRST free empty sector, or picks a used one if your
disk is full) In memory it takes up 2K (check your memory from a clean
disk then the questionable disk) To find the sector in you disk do
search of ALL sectors for FF 06 F3 7D 8B 1E F3 7D using something like
Norton's NU If you find that and it is maked as BAD in the FAT then
YOU HAVE IT.

HOW TO KILL IT:
You can do FILE by FILE back up then reformat the bad disk
then restore the files (the virus is NOT part of a file
it's part of the boot system)

The long way (But it works well...and for hard drives) Make a floopy
with the same version of the operating system you have on the bad disk
make sure that SYS and NU and NDD are on the good disk BOOT the good
disk...go into NDD do a "MAKE DISK BOOTABLE" from common fixes (to the
bad disk) then do a SYS to the bad disk....YOU ARE DONE...the virus
will no longer load....you should the go in to NU and unmark the fake
BAD cluster (2 sectors) and zero the sectors

REMEMBER: IT WILL INFECT ALL DISKS
even if they are not bootable....
the virus can still infect a cleaned disk...
flu-shot may detect it, but by the time you run it
the BUG is already in memory and running....

If you find a better way to KILL it then please POST!!
(and send me mail...)

Andrew Lindh, a student at the University of Hartford -- Computer Science
West Hartford, CT -- School Switchboard (203) 243-4100 -- ask for Math/CS
BITNET: LINDH@HARTFORD.bitnet   INTERNET:  maby later....
UUCP:   lindh@evecs.uucp   also   lindh@uhasun.uucp  (and root@evecs.uucp)

------------------------------

Date:       8-MAY-1989 17:56:05 GMT
From:       ZDEE699@ELM.CC.KCL.AC.UK
Subject:    Virus propagation on PC. (United Kingdom)

	One of my friends who is not on the virus-l list has sent me
the following message from Southbank polytechnic.  The message to all
our UK subscribers is to watch-out for these programs which show
pornographic pictures, and which students copy from each other... thus
helping the virus contained within the program to propagate and infect
new hard disks.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond

forwarded message follows
>Sender:  <MANDALR@UK.AC.SOUTHBANK-POLY.VAX>
>

>   We have a virus running on some OPUS 7 PCs, The program is
>   call oneontwo.exe it runs by reading in data from a file
>   call 1on2.gl, what it produces is a pornographic moving
>   animation.
>   Students, as usual, are very good at distributing such programs
>   and run them without any permission. It comes with a bat file
>   which simply has oneontwo 1on2 as command line. The effects
>   are not noticed until later the hard disk refuses to boot up
>   even if it does have bootable files, it refuses to read command.com
>   but you can boot from A drive. So far one Opus 7 is very sick and
>   also an amstrad 1640 with 20mb HD is very very sick.
>
>  I'am OK it's mainly our terminal room we seem to have serious
>  problem, What happens is the PC's after a while refuse to BOOT
>  and any EXE or COM file become infected as soon as they run
>  We have a virus checker thats how we know about this little
>  bug.
>  What we are doing now is cleaning every hard disk in sight
>  and restoring with backups that's all that can be done for
>  now. If you know of any Virus preventer/checker for the PC
>  that would be helpful.
>  I supect whats happening is that the command.com file are growing
>  as they are run causing most of the above problems.
>
>Ripon..

King's College London, United Kingdom.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Olivier M.J. Crepin-Leblond                        | - If no-one can do it  |
|JANET   :<zdee699@uk.ac.kcl.cc.elm>                |   then do it yourself  |
|BITNET  :<zdee699%elm.cc.kcl.ac.uk@ukacrl>         | - If you can't do it,  |
|INTERNET:<zdee699%elm.cc.kcl.ac.uk@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay>| then  P A N I C ! ! |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 8 May 89 10:41:16 PDT
From:    dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: "Benign" viruses

In VIRUS-L 2.107, Michael Odawa writes:

> The last thing I want is for some
> self-proclaimed wizard to release viral code that s/he "thinks" has no
> negative side effects.

Agreed!  One of the first viruses in the Mac community (known
variously as "Peace", "the MacMag virus", or "Brandow's Folly") was
intended to be benign.  Reportedly, the programmer worked for quite
some time to ensure that the virus would have only one effect
(displaying a message of world peace on a specified date), would
delete itself cleanly thereafter, and would have no unfortunate side
effects.

Didn't quite work out that way.  The virus was (apparently) tested on
machines in the Mac Plus family (monochrome, 68000-based), and didn't
take into account the differing architecture of the Mac II
(68020-based, multi-bit-deep screen, different memory layout).  There
were reports of Mac II systems crashing, and/or corrupting their hard
disks, when this virus kicked in.

A virus that's benign in one host can be deadly in another... this is
certainly true for biological viruses, and seems to be true for
computer viruses as well.

Dave Platt
FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 08 May 89 12:28:54 EDT
From:    dmg@mwunix.mitre.org
Subject: More on SecureINIT... (Mac)

Another tidbit about this application.  One of the users on the
Twilight Clone BBS (not Joe McMahon) here in DC recently tried this on
his system at home.  He alledges (and I believe it) that SecureINIT
deleted some hold-dozen inits, including OnCue.  It looks more and
more like this one's a dog.

End of VIRUS-L Digest