Date:    Wed, 10 May 1989 16:17:24 CDT
From:    Werner Uhrig <werner@rascal.ics.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Re: "Insecure" INIT.... (Mac)

RE: warnings regarding Secure-INIT

	after MASH looked at the initial version and found it so utterly
	flawed (even dangerous) I removed it from the public archives
	on RASCAL (but kept it in the MASH archives)

	we have since received version 1.5 and a confirmation from our
	SWISS member, Danny Schwendener, that the authors are "for real"
	and, generally, reputable people (i.e. no intentional destructive
	code), but I have decided to only make 1.5 available to MASHers
	and, until I hear something good about the thing, I will not make
	it public and recommend against it.  Given the authors announcement
	that version 2.0 is  going to be commercial, I suspect the authors
	called earlier versions release 1.x to get people to debug the
	thingy for them.  dump it, I say.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 May 89 22:14:52 EDT
From:    dmg@mwunix.mitre.org
Subject: InsecureINIT... (Mac)

I suppose it is reassuring that SecureINIT was indeed written by
"reputable" people; I'm no longer worried that some of the people in
DC have had a very clever and subtle virus infect their systems (or I
should say I am far less worried about this possibility).  I do find
it disturbing that "reputable" authors would let the general public do
their debugging for them.  While consumer feedback can give authors
valuable information, giving consumers a product that fails even the
most rudimentary tests is a disgrace to those authors.

Well, SAM should be on the shelves soon, and the beta testers I've
spoken with are impressed with it.  Let SecureINIT eat cake.  Or SAM's
dust as the case may be...

David

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 May 89 22:27:22 EDT
From:    dmg@mwunix.mitre.org
Subject: Invisibility as a defense mechanism...

Recently, Frank O'Dwyer (FMODWYER@cs.tcd.ie) [Auth: Is there some way
we can easily distinguish which net these addresses come off of?]
questioned my assertion that making Macintosh INITs invisible is
practical.

Actually, I don't know.  First off, I misspoke through a
generalization.  In order to fool a potential intruder as to the
presence of Vaccine (which is not really an INIT, it is a cdev), I
turned off the option that causes the Vaccine icon to be displayed at
startup, and made the file invisible in the system folder.  Vaccine
still installs itself (I checked).  Now whether this works for INITs,
I honestly don't know.

I'm also not sure what is gained by making something like Vaccine
invisible, but it seems like an easy and cheap thing to do to enhance
the security of a Mac.

David Gursky
Member of the Technical Staff, W-143
Special Projects Department
The MITRE Corporation

------------------------------

Date:    11 May 1989, 08:54:17 EDT
From:    David M. Chess   <CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET>
Subject: More on the SYS command (PC) / System complexity

>         The SYS command will remove all floppy based boot viruses
> and all HD based boot viruses except the Australian (Stoned).

Make that "all HD based boot viruses *that we know of* except..."
and I'll finally shut up!   *8)    There are probably other
master-boot-record infectors out there lurking...  (I know
that's what you meant.)

The only point I was really trying to make is that, for sites
that don't have the CVIA's detailed toolkit or equivalent,
relying completely on the SYS command to deal with a hard-disk
boot virus isn't safe (as you point out).

The larger point here, and it applies to all computers, not
just PCs or micros in general, is that computing systems (even
here in the primitive 1980's) are terribly complex things,
and it's very easy to forget (or forget to mention) all the
possible places a virus can get into.  Something for both
virus fighters and system designers to keep in mind!

All sweetness and light,
DC

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 11 May 89 08:15:11 PDT
From:    rogers@marlin.nosc.mil (Rollo D. Rogers)
Subject: POSSIBLE NEW (MAC) ATTACK VIRUS

Info is a bit sketchy i would say.

[Ed. A couple of "forwardings" deleted...]

i thought i'd try asking you first since you've been of great help to
us in csd.  a large local company has been afflicted with a macintosh
virus over the past few days which apple claims to have never seen
before.  it evades cleanup with Disinfectant 1.1.  it apparently
affects the resource fork of various files in the system folder which
disallows the system to access its pointers.  the result is that you
can't throw these away and the memory remains allocated.  this beastie
has also randomly destroyed various personal folders.  they found no
pattern in what was missing; they also found no new mysterious files.
no other major clues.

                            thanks,
                                mike

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 11 May 89       15:26:48 PST
From:    Donna Reynolds <DR9021@UCSFVM.UCSF.EDU>
Subject: Yet another virus? (Mac)

The University of California, San Francisco Computer Center currently
is experiencing a rash of virus-like problems, in particular when
MacDraw is in use.  The problems have suddenly appeared on three
separate machines, each of which is running its own registered copy of
MacDraw.  We've run both Interferon and Virus Rx against these
machines, and neither reports any problems.  Still, problems exist.
We don't know at this time whether these difficulties are
virus-induced, but thought we'd query the net to see if anyone else
has experienced similar problems.  (We are cross-posting this notice
to comp.sys.mac.)

We are experiencing the symptoms listed below.  Please note this is a
cumulative symptoms list.  No one machine currently is exhibiting
*all* symptoms.

Symptoms:  System Errors 02 and 03 when loading and printing from
             MacDraw I and II
           On restart, a file named "EIYBSKJTNX" appears in the
             folder containing the MacDraw application.
           MacDraw file creation times converted to garbage characters
           MacDraw program malfunctions - for example, when using
             text tool to select text, the block of text actually
             selected is not that (and is quite distant from) the
             text we were attempting to select.
           MacDraw screen displays incomplete - for example, the
             elevator bars are missing.
           System re-install fails until MacDraw deleted from the
             disk.

To repeat, these problems have shown up on three separate machines
running three separate copies of MacDraw - all of which have been in
use for a minimum of six months.  Any suggestions?

Our most sincere thanks for your time and attention.

Donna Reynolds
Senior Editor
UCSF Computer Center

BITNET:    dr9021@ucsfvm
INTERNET:  dr9021@ucsfvm.ucsf.edu

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 11 May 89 23:49:56 pdt
From:    well!odawa@lll-winken.llnl.gov (Michael Odawa)
Subject: The only good virus is a dead one

In VIRUS-L 2-112, Allan Pratt mentioned the possibility of back door
neutralizers and other methods of disarming a potentially "beneficial"
virus which might unintentionally run amuck, contending,

> you can deliberately code in an easy way to kill the thing, such as the
> presence of a file with a certain name, or a certain magic number in a
> cookie someplace in RAM.

While these methods might be useful in containing the damage done by
some experiment run wild, they are less than sufficient to justify
intentional release of viral code, because in the event of bugs
discovered after the code has been set loose, they do not restore us
to the condition we were in prior to its release.

Again, let me restate what should be obvious: Viral propagation is an
extremely dangerous technique.  We do not need intentional viruses
running through the computing newtworks.  We can protect ourselves
adequately without them.  Thus, again,

The only good virus is a dead one.

Michael Odawa
Software Development Council
odawa@well.uucp

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 11 May 89 04:16 GMT
From:    <SEKRETAR@CZHETH5A.BITNET>
Subject: SecureINIT - The last word (Mac)

I think I'll have to put my bit of salt at this point. I won't
comment on the user interface or the (buggy) code. But I have the
strong impression that some of the people out there think the code
is purposefully malevolent. It isn't, but it is very delicate in
the practical use.

The purpose of SecureINIT is *not* to protect against viruses
(which it doesn't anyway - against the claims of the authors),
but to help out those poor guys in the universities who have to
look after the public macs. Those of you who are in charge of
student macs know that you don't get around reformatting all
hard disks on a regular basis, because they get cluttered up
with junk files, multiple system folders, etc. In small labs,
performing this task once or twice per week can be considered
as realistic, but in places like the ETH, where you have several
rooms with hundreds of Macs, it becomes quite a burden.

I have often thought about how great it would be to have a program
which automatically cleans up the hard disks every evening, leaving
it in the very same state as it was in the morning, removing the
CDEV's, INIT's, applications and documents which have been left there
by the students, replacing the current system by a fresh copy.

SecureINIT is not a protection against malevolent actions on the
student computers, as it is fairly easy to bypass the protections
if you have some knowledge in Macintosh Resources. But it is a
good garbage collector - well it will be in a future bug-free
version, I hope. According to P. Guberan, the first version which
was uploaded to CompuServe (1.3 I think) was a beta, although it
rather looked like an alpha to me.

One important thing to know is that SecureINIT is *NOT A PROTECTION
AGAINST VIRUSES*. Installing the program on your public Macs is not
sufficient to protect your people from getting infected. You still
have to use one or a combination of the existant virus detection
tools. A trap watcher (Gatekeeper, Vaccine) is fine, a trap watcher
*and* a regular check with a disk browser (disinfectant, virus-
detective) is better.

One last thing - I am not related with the authors of the Program.
I'm not even a test site. Due to my geographical vicinity, I was
asked to contact them, and to clear the questions raised in MacMASH
and on Virus-L.

- -- Danny Schwendener

- -- ETH Macintosh Support, ETH-Zentrum m/s PL, CH-8092 Zuerich
- -- Bitnet :   macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman
- -- Ean    :   macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times

------------------------------

End of VIRUS-L Digest
*********************

LUKEN@IBM1.CC.LEHIGH.EDU ("The Moderator Kenneth R. van Wyk") (05/12/89)

VIRUS-L Digest              Friday, 12 May 1989        Volume 2 : Issue 113

Today's Topics:
Re: "Insecure" INIT.... (Mac)
InsecureINIT... (Mac)
Invisibility as a defense mechanism...
More on the SYS command (PC) / System complexity
POSSIBLE NEW (MAC) ATTACK VIRUS
Yet another virus? (Mac)
The only good virus is a dead one
SecureINIT - The last word (Mac)