Date:    Fri, 12 May 89 09:15:34 EDT
From:    "W. K. (Bill) Gorman" <34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET>
Subject: question on CERTUS (PC)

     I have been asked to evaluate CERTUS 1.0 from Foundationware.
Has anyone tried this package as an aid to virus protection, disaster
recovery, PC security, etc.?
     Thus far, I am not impressed. I have been able to get it to:

     a)   Eat a set of files from a floppy that it was supposed
          to be "registering" and "approving" to run on the test PC,

     b)   Recognize a non-existant hard drive (D:) on a system with
          one HD (C:) and two floppies (A: and B:),

     c)   Abend with a "FAT creation error" when creating what they call
          a "critical disk" during the installation.

Does anyone have any better/worse things to say about it?  BTW: It is
a commercial package.

Disclaimer: It should be obvious from these comments that I am NOT
connected with Foundationware or any of its products by blood, money,
marriage, financial interest, political affiliation or Act of God.

|W. K. "Bill" Gorman                               Foust Hall # 5        |
|PROFS System Administrator   E-Mail & Message     Computer Services     |
|Central Michigan University Encryption/Security   Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858|
|34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET       Virus Countermeasures  (517) 774-3183        |
|_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-|
These comments reflect personal opinions held at the time this was
written.  Copyright (C) 1989 W. K. Gorman. All rights reserved.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 May 89 10:50 EST
From:    <DAC@CUNYVMS1.BITNET>
Subject: Request for info and experiences on viruses on LANs (PC)

Greetings!

We are running a Novell LAN on which we found a Terminate and Stay
Resident (TSR) virus that infects executable files and then seems
to be responsible for the:
   1. failure of some infected programs to run;
   2. executables becoming very large;
   3. memory errors;
   4. stack errors;
   5. routing of files to printers; and
   6. loss of root directory on hard disks.

We've currently responded by:
   1. installing a second "clean" (at least until we hooked it up)  ;)
      server and brought down the original one; and
   2. placed Sentry 1.8 and Flushot 1.51 into the bootup procedure
      of all out boot disks (both floppy and hard).

Our next steps are to:
   1. formally release information about is going on and how to work
      with Sentry and Flushot (up to now we've been spreading info on
      an ad hoc basis;
   2. clean up the original file server and put it back in service; and
   3. find a better solution for the next time.

In order to help find a better LAN/virus solution, I thought I would
ask people with similar problems to write to me about their experiences
on LANs and what their solutions are.  I will summarize and depending
on the size of the response, either post directly to the list or place it
in an archive.  Anyone submitting anything to me will be mailed a
copy of the summary.

Suggestions about additional steps we should be taking are also welcome.

Aloha,
danny
snail:  Danny Choriki, Environmental Psychology Program, CUNY
        33 West 42nd Street, New York, NY  10036-8099
bitnet:    dac@cunyvms1
internet:  dac%cunyvms1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu or dangc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
compuserv: 71470,3060
[Since a CUNY can't talk, this must have been my idea...]

------------------------------

Date:     12 May 89, 13:21:53 HMT
From:     Stanley 'Spock' Fragakis  <CSSTU011@GRCRUN11.BITNET>
Subject : 1 byte can save us from the Ping Pong virus (PC)

Hello virus list
1st of all I welcome myself in this list. :-))

I will not be surprized if I find out that there are virus designers
in this list. The information presented by the list will help them
create better 'killers' | I just hope they are the minority.

I want to say a few things about the BOOT sector on PC's.

Each time the MSDOS BIOS performs a disk access it reads the BOOT
sector of the disk, which contains vital information such as number of
sectors/track, sectors/cluster, number of FATs etc The information is
used to correctly locate the requested disk sector.  The MSDOS checks
the first byte of the BOOT sector and if that byte is E9h or EBh it
assumes that the disk is MSDOS formatted, else the disk is assumed to
be non-MSDOS.

Lets see more about this.  Presence of E9h or EBh forces the MSDOS to
USE the information contained in the boot sector (bytes/sector etc) in
order to access the disk. Any other value makes the MSDOS to use
'default' values, ignoring the BOOT sector.  If you study the source
code of the Ping Pong virus you will find out that it uses the BOOT
information to locate the FAT's, the start of disk's data area etc. In
order to e.g. interpret the logical sector into track,head,sector
format it needs to make a few divisions (/sectors per track etc).
These divisions are carried out using the DIV instruction of the CPU.
Hmmm... Here comes the big idea... What if I change e.g. the sectors
per track value from 9 (if we have 9 sectors/track) to 0.  That would
cause a crash when the virus tries to make the division.  The sectors
per track value is at offset 18h of the BOOT sector.  Sounds a good
Idea || :-) If you indeed change that value then the disk will be
'useless' || Why ? Well the MSDOS tries to use the information
(sectors/track) but the 0 we put makes no sense and we could get a
'GENERAL FAILURE..' message or something like that.  Hmmm.. It seemed
a good idea :( Can't we make something about it ?  Well of course :-)
we can. As I mentioned above the MSDOS uses the BOOT information ONLY
if the first byte of the BOOT sector is E9h or EBh.  Hmmm.. yes that's
it we change the first byte of the BOOT.  Change it to what ? In fact
giving any other value will do the trick but remember the 1st byte
must be a valid instruction, since the BOOT sector is assumed to
contain a small machine-language program.  If you look in a
instuction-table you will find out that the E9h and EBh bytes are
interpreted as JMP instructions by the CPU.  E9h is JMP FAR, so we'll
have

0000 E9H
0001 xx
0002 yy

as the first 3 bytes of the boot sector.

EBh is JMP short, so we'll have

0000 EBh
0001 xx
0002 NOP

as the first 3 bytes of the boot sector.
NOTE that the 3rd byte is a NOP (90h)

Usually the boot sector contains a JMP short i.e. EBh xx NOP
All we have to do is swap the commands :

0000 NOP
0001 EBh
0002 zz

Note that the displacement is no longer xx (actually it is xx-1).

Now we have a disk that CAN NOT be contaminated by the Ping Pong virus
|| When the virus tries to contaminate the disk we have a 'DIVISION by
zero' interruption which forces execution out of the virus code.
Further more the virus is disabled from that time on.  (I'll not say
more on that, since this is already getting too long but it has to do
with a flag-byte the virus has and it does not get updated correctly
since we have 'DIVISION BY ZERO' )

This trick works only on non-system disks (so you can't protect a hard
disk since a hard disk is usually a system disk).  I don't see why the
trick shouldn't work on similar viruses.  If you have any questions
just let me know.

Stanley Fragakis, GREECE  (csstu011 at grcrun11)

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 May 89 15:31:42 MDT
From:    Chris McDonald 678-4176 <cmcdonal@wsmr-emh10.army.mil>
Subject: Comment on "The Computer Virus Crisis"

Several weeks ago a Virus-L subscriber provided a review of a book
entitled "The Computer Virus Crisis."  Since I already had my copy on
order, it was too late to cancel.  When it arrived, I read the book
and found that I agreed with the previous subscriber.  Rather than
repeat all his observations, I would like to add the following.

[Ed. The review was posted by Mark Paulk <mcp@sei.cmu.edu>, who has
just (thanks Mark!) sent me a somewhat lengthy followup to his report
that was sent to him by the publishers of the book.  If there is
sufficient interest in reading this followup, I can post it in a
separate digest (it's about 26k) or put it on one of the archives.]

1.  My dominant impression is that this book was "rushed" into print
to take advantage of the marketplace which is "virus" sensitized
beyond belief in some quarters, particularly the corporate world.
There are factual inaccuracies in describing the extent of the MacMag
World virus infection, in the actual spreading mechanism of the IBM
Christmas bacterium, and in the actual number of persons at the
National Security Agency involved in viral protection.  All these
exaggerations support the "crisis" proposition of the authors.  But
readers of Virus-L and RISKS Forum receive a much better perspective
on the threats and protective mechanisms, than would a reader of the
book.  Hopefully we subscribers will never take for granted what is
now available over the INTERNET.

2.  The authors claim that "DOS machines were relatively unaffected
until communications and connectivity came into the picture." (page
33) This is a debatable proposition on conceptual as well as on
historical grounds.

3.  The authors state more than once that mainframes are "more secure"
and "less vulnerable" to virus attack.  Since Fred Cohen's early work
was on mainframes, not DOS machines, and since the authors refer to
Fred's first paper on the subject, this is just not in my mind a
proven fact as much as it is their commentary on reported cases to
this point.

Chris Mc Donald
White Sands Missile Range

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 May 89 11:16:28 EDT
From:    Joe McMahon <XRJDM@SCFVM.BITNET>
Subject: Mac Virus (maybe)

I would say that the definite test for whether or not this is a virus
is to see if applications on the affected system can infect another.
You might want to try this:

1) Pick some application that's on the infected system, and copy it to
   a floppy.

2) Create a clean system from the "system Tools" disk (assuming you
   haven't been using it unlocked).

3) Put a clean copy of Virus Rx on the disk, too.

4) Boot the clean system and run the application. See if the symptoms
   you've been seeing occur. Set the date ahead a week or two and see
   if anything shows up.

5) Run Virus Rx and see if it puts up its dialog telling you that it's
   been infected. If so, you've got something. If not, probably not.

If nothing spreads into the System, and Virus Rx doesn't commit
suicide when running on the "infected" system, then you've got a
clobbered System file, not a virus. Try restoring just the System
folder and seeing if that corrects the problem.

If you need Virus Rx or advice, drop me a note direct.

 --- Joe M.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 May 89 13:19:30 EDT
From:    mcvax!rhi.hi.is!frisk@uunet.UU.NET (Fridrik Skulason)
Subject: Boot Sector Protection (PC)

Some viruses and Trojans attempt to write to the boot sector on
diskettes. Any program intended to prevent attacks must therefore be
able to protect the boot sector.

It seems that there are 5 methods for writing to the boot sector.

	1: Use INT 26.
	2: Use INT 13.
	3: Use INT 40.
	4: Use the original ROM BIOS routines.
	5: Program the PD765 directly.

It is easy to prevent methods 1 and 2 from working, and most (all ?)
diskette protection software packages available seem to do that. All
BSV that I know of use one of these two methods.

Method 3 is just as easy to prevent, but quite a few available
software packages allow it, including Flushot (at least my version).

Method 4 is very hard to prevent, but it is actually the main subject
of this message (see below). No known viruses use it, but sooner or
later they will.  I have not been able to find ANY program that
prevented this type of attack.

Method 5 seems to be able to work, no matter what software protection
is used.  Fortunately, no known viruses use it.

Now - I have written a small TSR, that attempts to prevent a program
using method 4 from doing its task. It works on my own computer (a
'386 HP VECTRA, running DOS 3.3), but since the method it uses is
rather weird, I am not sure if it will interfere with something else.
So - I am asking for volunteers to test this program, before I send it
to the anti-viral archives.

please E-mail me at frisk@rhi.hi.is if you are interested in receiving
a test copy.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 May 1989 14:54:02 EDT
From:    "Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195@UNIVSCVM>
Subject: VM Trojan list? (VM/CMS)

Does anyone have any info on the recent "VMEXEC EXEC" trojan horse?
Any knowledge anyone has would be appreciated.  Feel free to send it
directly to me if you prefer.  Have a good weekend.

P.S.  Ben Yalow requests reports on this trojan horse.  He is a BITNET
      technician and can be contacted at YBMCU@CUNYVM on BITNET and
      YBMCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU on Internet.

End of VIRUS-L Digest