Date:    Fri, 12 May 89 10:50:06 EDT
From:    rocksanne!rainero@cs.rochester.edu (Emil Rainero)
Subject: Macintosh Virus query

Has there ever been a macintosh virus than is part of a document? The
macintosh has both data and resource forks. It would be interesting to
create a macwrite or MS-word document with the document in the data
fork and the virus as a code resource that is preloaded to override an
application code resource (the printing code comes to mind). This
would allow documents as well as applications to transfer the virus.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 May 89       14:55:24 PST
From:    Donna Reynolds <DR9021@UCSFVM.UCSF.EDU>
Subject: Follow-up to "Yet another virus?" (Mac)

Yesterday we posted a notice to the net describing a number of
apparently virus-like problems experienced in the UCSF Computer
Center.  All were detected while MacDraw was in use.  It now appears
that all problems were unrelated and that none were virus-induced.
Just an unhappy coincidence, it would seem, that three separate
machines developed similar-looking difficulties at the same time.

Ken Walter, a software engineer with Claris, solved one of our
problems for us.  The system errors on one machine appear to be the
result of running MacDraw 1.9 with System 6.02.  We now suspect the
problems exhibited by the two remaining machines to be
hardware-related.  They just happened to show up at about the same
time while users just happened to be running MacDraw.  We are
currently running additional diagnostic tests, just to be certain.

That said, we'd like to thank everyone who responded to our posting.
The ever-helpful folks at BMUG were quick to get in touch and offer
their assistance.  Ken Walter of Claris, and the Claris folks in
general, were exceptionally helpful.  We sincerely appreciate both
their expert assistance and their genuine concern.

Once again, our most sincere thanks.

Donna Reynolds
Senior Editor
UCSF Computer Center

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 14-May-89 22:14:15 PDT
From:    portal!cup.portal.com!Alan_J_Roberts@Sun.COM
Subject: Certus (PC)

	I'll have to disagree with Bill Gorman's comments about the
Certus virus protection package.  I worked on the preliminary
selection for Jim Goodwin's evaluation project and I found none of the
negative's that Mr.  Gorman indicated.  Additionally, Certus proved
second only to Sentry in it's ability to detect viruses.  I believe
Jim would have included it in his final paper had he not thought that
the steep price of the product limited its interest for most
researchers.

			David Zoz
			HomeBase  408 988 4004

------------------------------

Date:    15 May 89, 12:14:09 HMT
From:    Stanley Fragakis <CSSTU011@GRCRUN11.BITNET>
Subject: Stop a BOOT virus at BOOT time (PC)

The idea:
 When the boot sector is read in memory and given control its the only
valid program in RAM. Other valid RAM locations include the interrupt
vector table etc. Normally a boot loaded virus has it's own boot
sector which loads the virus in memory and gives control to the
original boot sector of the disk.  (the original boot sector is saved
somewhere in the disk).  If we modify the original boot sector of the
disk in such a way that clears the computer memory when executed, we
will kill the virus code since it HAS TO be somewhere in RAM.

What to do and how :
 The MSDOS 3.2 disk boot sector contains in offset 0 a JMP instruction
(JMP 36). In the boot sector there is just enough space to add a few
instructions that will clear the memory starting at 7e0:0h. Again in
MSDOS 3.2 the 1st free location is at offset 1DBh. We enter the MSDOS
DEBUG and type :

- - L 0 0 0 1 (enter)
- - a 1db     (enter)
then we type the following commands

 CLI
 CLD
 MOV AX,07E0
 MOV ES,AX
 XOR DI,DI
 MOV CX,8
 MOV AX,F4FA
 REP STOSW
 PUSH ES
 POP AX
 INC AX
 CMP AX,A000
 JB 1E0
 JMP 36

Now we type :
- - A 0
then
 JMP 1DB

finally we save the new boot using
- - W 0 0 0 1

let's see what's the use of this program.
Staring at seg 7E0 it fills the memory locations with hex value
F4FA  witch represents the assembler instructions CLI, HLT
It stops when the segment reaches A000 (the 640K limit)
the JB 1E0  jumps to instruction MOV ES,AX
the JMP 36  jumps to the location the JMP at offset 0 originally
            points to.

Note that the locations 36,1E0,1DB as mentioned above could
be different in your MSDOS version.

Why fill the memory with F4FA :
 When the original boot sector gets control and we are about to clear
the memory, the virus is already active. That means one or more
interrupt vectors point into virus code. Sooner or later these
interrupts will be activated. If we fill the memory with e.g. 0 that
would represent an ADD instruction and the computer would execute ADD
instructions even beyond the valid RAM. We wish to halt the computer.
A simple HLT instruction would not be enough since the external
interrupts are enabled (e.g. timer tick so we have the same problem as
before).  The solution is CLI then HLT, that is make sure that
interrupts are disabled then halt the CPU till an interrupt occurs.
(which is never going to happen, so computer is 'dead' ).

What's the use :
 It is quite clear that any Ping Pong style virus will be stopped. How
will you know that ? Well the computer will crash if you boot with an
infected disk (you get no message at all).  You can't even use
CTRL-ALT-DEL to re-Boot. This is the time to check your disk.  This
program will not prevent a virus from entering your disk.  However it
will not let you boot from that disk, not even once |

if you have any questions let me know.

* Stanley Fragakis, Greece (CSSTU011 at GRCRUN11)

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 May 89 19:22:34 -0400
From:    William Bader-84668 <wbader@scarecrow.csee.Lehigh.EDU>
Subject: re: data disks (PC)

Someone mentioned viruses propagating on data disks.  I don't know if
this was said before, but MSDOS formatted data disks are bootable,
just that all the boot program does is to print "Non-System disk or
disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready".
						William Bader

End of VIRUS-L Digest