Date:    Mon, 15 May 89 10:26:04 EDT
From:    luken@ubu.cc.lehigh.edu (Kenneth R. van Wyk)
Subject: "Virus-Proof" PC - an oxymoron?

I just saw this in the May 1989 Byte magazine (page 65):

"The Immune System, a DOS-based 80286 computer, is designed for
security by one of the largest computer security companies in the
nation.

Along with some things you'd expect on a standard clone, such as 1 Mb
of RAM, a 1.2 Mb 5 1/4 inch floppy disk drive, and a 40 Mb hard disk
drive, there's a 'virus-proof' feature that keeps unauthorized .EXE
and .COM files from entering or running on the system.

There's also a modem package that purports to secure and encrypt
real-time conversations, as well as provide a system-use audit trail,
a system-access audit trail, and nearly 25 more security features.
American Computer Security Industries has even gone so far as to
secure the clock so only specified users can set or change the time."

Sounds like quite a claim.  Anyone have any more specific information
or comments?

Ken

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 15 May 89 13:42:52 EDT
From:    "W. K. (Bill) Gorman" <34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET>
Subject: Certus (PC) disagreement

Disagree? With what? I reported precisely what happened when this
routine was evaluated here. One installation went flawlessly, the
next produced the events previously reported. I am certainly glad
to hear of the experiences of others with this package - but since
I was not with tham at the time, I cannot "disagree" with their re-
sults any more than they can "disagree" with mine. We each report
the results of our investigations, be they convergent or divergent,
according to our perceptions at the time. :-)
^^^^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^^
|W. K. "Bill" Gorman                              Foust Hall # 5        |
|PROFS System Administrator   E-Mail & Message    Computer Services     |
|Central Michigan University Encryption/Security  Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859|
|34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET       Virus Countermeasures (517) 774-3183        |
|_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_|
These comments reflect personal opinions held at the time this was written.
Copyright (C) 1989 W. K. Gorman. All rights reserved.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 15 May 1989 13:47:12 EDT
From:    Steven C. Woronick <XRAYSROK@SBCCVM.BITNET>
Subject: Comment on Stop a BOOT virus at boot time (PC)

   Stanley Fragakis suggests altering boot sectors so that the boot
program over-writes everything in memory with F4FA, but this of course
kills the machine, should you attempt to boot from such a disk(ette).
So I must assume that the intention is to do this only to non-system
diskettes which nobody in their right mind would want to boot from
anyway (although some of us try).  Hence, the penalty for trying to
boot a non-system diskette is no longer the usual message, but a
(temporarily) dead computer which must be powered down and back up
again.  Of course, going through this a few times ought to be good
memory-training for remembering to remove non-system diskettes before
re-booting (ironically, if you remembered not to do this, all the
time, then it would be entirely unnecessary).  I don't however
understand the concern over halting the PC in a proper manner if it's
dead anyway.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Steven C. Woronick     | Disclaimer:  These are my own opinions.
Physics Dept.          |              Check it out for yourself!
SUNY at Stony Brook    |
Stony Brook, NY  11794 |
Acknowledge-To: <XRAYSROK@SBCCVM>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 15 May 89 16:29 EDT
From:    "J. D. Abolins" <OJA@NCCIBM1.BITNET>
Subject: Certus (PC)

While I have not tested FoudationWare's CERTUS package, I have tested
two versions of its predecessors (VACCINE and CORPORATE VACCINE).

With each version improvements were definitely made. When I tested
VACCINE, I had it crash during installation due to insufficient disk
space. When that happens, one cannot move forward nor backwards, so to
say. Regular software will not run because VACCINE has not approved it
and VACCINE could not be uninstall using its uninstall utility unless
it was properly installed. In CORPORATE VACCINE, the manual addresses
this and other problems.

My overall impression of FoundationWare's products is that they are
dealing with various methods of protection (fine) but they are very
strict and require much "fine-tuning". They are best used on systems
that need the special security feautures, that are intended for
limited functionality (a word processing/database workstation) and
that are stable (not undergoing constant change).

NOTE: This is my last week at this ID. I am transferring to another
position, one that doesn't entail working with NCC. Although I may
have an alternate BITNET access later on, little is known now. Should
anybody need ot contact me-

By post: J. D. Abolins
         301 N. Harrison Street; # 197
         Princeton, NJ 08540
By phone: (609) 448-7814
By BITNET via Ralph Mortensen:  RMX@NCCIBM1
Thank you.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue,  16 May 89 15:08:24 +0300
From:    Y. Radai <RADAI1@HBUNOS.BITNET>
Subject: PC Virus List

  With the exponential increase in the frequency of new PC virus re-
ports, I've come to feel that I'm getting lost without a catalog of
such viruses.  Evidently several others have felt the same way, for
they have prepared, or are in the process of preparing, catalogs which
include descriptions of each of the viruses.  My goal is more modest:
to simply *list* them.  And that's far from easy considering that
lately I hear of at least one new virus every week (and, of course,
there may be many which I haven't heard of).  Anyway, here's what I've
got so far, arranged in (hopefully) chronological order.

                         PC-DOS/MS-DOS Viruses
                         =====================

                                Min # of
    Names                       Strains  Type         First Appearance
    -----                       -------  ----         ----------------
 1. Brain, Pakistani                  7  Boot sector         Jan  86
 2. Merritt, Alameda, Yale            7  Boot sector         Apr? 87
 3. South African, Friday 13th        2  COM D                    87
 4. Lehigh                            2  COMMAND.COM         Nov  87
 5. Vienna, Austrian                  2  COM D 648           Dec? 87
 6. Israeli, Friday-13, Jerusalem     9  COM/EXE R 1813/1808 Dec  87
 7. April-1-Com                       1  COM R 897           Jan  88
 8. April-1-Exe                       1  EXE R 1488          Jan  88
 9. Ping-Pong, Bouncing-Ball, Italian 2  Boot sector         Mar  88
10. Dos-62, Unesco                    2  COM D               Apr  88
11. Marijuana, Stoned, New Zealand,   2  Boot sector;       Early 88
                           Australian    partition record on hard disk
12. Cascade, Autumn, Blackjack        6  COM R 1701/1704  Sep 88 (87?)
13. Agiplan                           1  COM 1536            Oct  88
14. Oropax, Music                     1  COM RD 2756 to 2806 Feb  89
15. Venezuelan, Den Zuk, Search       6  Boot sector        Early 89?
16. dBASE                             1  COM/EXE R           Mar  89
17. DataCrime                         2? COM D 1168 (1280?)  Mar  89
18. Missouri                          1  ?                   Apr  89
19. Nichols                           2? Boot sector             ?
20. 405                               1  COM DO 405          Apr? 89
                                     --
Total # of strains                   58

Notes:
  1. In the "Type" column, "COM" or "EXE" indicates the type of files
infected.  "R" stands for "resident", meaning that when an infected
program is run the virus makes itself RAM-resident (hooking one or
more interrupts); usually such a virus infects each subsequently
executed program (of the appropriate type, e.g. COM files). "D" stands
for "direct", meaning that it searches the disk for an uninfected file
and infects it; normally such a virus does not stay resident.  (How-
ever, it is possible for a virus to be both resident and direct in
this sense, as in the case of the Oropax.)  "O" indicates that the
virus overwrites the beginning of the file instead of appending or
prepending itself to it.  The number(s) after the "R" or "D" indicate
the number of bytes by which the virus extends files which it infects;
the number after the "O" is the number of bytes overwritten.
  2. I include only those viruses which have spread publicly, as
opposed to localized test viruses (of which there may be hundreds).
  3. Questionable cases: (a) Although I have included the dBASE virus
reported by Ross Greenberg, Jim Goodwin claims that it does not repli-
cate and hence is not a virus.  But it's possible that Jim and Ross
are talking about two different things.  (b) Similarly, I have heard
of spreadsheet viruses which occasionally change a value by a small
amount, but I have not included them in the table.  Jim says that the
Lotus 123 virus does not replicate either, but again it's possible
that he's speaking of something else.

  A difficult question is when to say that two given viruses are
(a) distinct viruses, (b) different strains of the same virus, or (c)
the same strain of the same virus.  I have adopted the following rule:
If one virus has apparently been obtained from the other by improving
the code in some sense, then we have case (b).  If the code is the
same, and the only differences are messages or other strings, then we
have case (c).  However, if something which makes a more important
difference in the behavior, such as the target date or the triggering
value of the number of infections, has been changed, then I classify
it as case (b).  Otherwise (i.e. if the code is significantly differ-
ent), we have case (a).

  I'm sure there will be disagreements with my table on certain points,
particularly the dates.  In any case, corrections and additions are
welcome.  (Please send your corrections directly to me; I'll post an
updated version of this table whenever the need arises.)

  For those interested in descriptions of these viruses, 11 of them
are described in Jim Goodwin's catalog.  (He says that his catalog
describes 48 viruses, but he is counting each strain of each virus
separately.)  Dave Ferbrache has rearranged Jim's catalog so that all
strains of the same virus are grouped together.  He has also added a
few more viruses and made the resulting document available on the
Heriot-Watt server.
  There are several additional catalogs in existence or in prepara-
tion.  One is currently being prepared by the Virus Test Center at the
Univ. of Hamburg under the direction of Prof. Klaus Brunnstein.  An-
other is being prepared by David Ferbrache (his will include algo-
rithms or pseudo-code for each of the viruses).

  Finally, acknowledgments:  Since I have only 7 viruses in my posses-
sion at present, I have obviously had to draw on information provided
by others.  Postings in VIRUS-L are too numerous to mention individual
names, but among those who have corresponded with me personally, I
would like to thank Dave Ferbrache, Alan Solomon, Klaus Brunnstein,
Bernd Fix, and Otto Stolz.

                                           Y. Radai
                                           Hebrew Univ. of Jerusalem

End of VIRUS-L Digest