Date:    Thu, 1 Jun 89 12:58:48 PDT
From:    rogers@marlin.nosc.mil (Rollo D. Rogers)
Subject: Re: IBMPC Antivirals

hi, i have had FSP 1.52 running on my XT clone since downloading it
from SIMTEL20 about 2 weeks ago.

So far i have had no problems with it. And i found the instructions
for installing and evaluating this software to be fairly easy to
understand.

So i am now going to recommend this anti-viral PC software to our PC
users.

  REgards, RollO Rogers, COMPUSEC SPEC NOSC SD

------------------------------

Date:    THU 01 JUN 1989           EDT
From:    "Richard J. Reiner (s9)" <S9RR999@MCGILLB.BITNET>
Subject: FluShot+ 1.6

In the last few days FluShot+ version 1.6 has appeared on local BBSs.
A couple of things have me worried: the last version of FSP I have
heard of from a reliable source (such as VIRUS-L) is 1.52, and the
documentation included in FSP16.ZIP at one point refers to 1.53 (one
point five three) as the latest version.  FSP 1.53 doesn't esist, as
far as I know.

The program identifies itself on its title screen as v1.16, and there
seem to be some fairly big improvements since 1.52, but the silence
about this on VIRUS-L and elsewhere has me worried.  Can anyone verify
that FluShot+ v1.6 is legitimate?

]Ed. Ross?(

------------------------------

Date:    1 June 89, 18:59:41 +0200 (MESZ)
From:    Otto Stolz      <RZOTTO@DKNKURZ1.BITNET>
Subject: re: Call For Discussion:  The Usenet Virus Handbook

> My current concept is to have a general guide (which sticks to general
> information) and then a number of supplements each covering a different
> computing system.

The best starting point for the general guide, as to my opinion, is
"Coping with Computer Viruses and Related Problems", available as file
IBM PAPER from LISTSERV at LEHIIBM1.  (Thank you Ken for putting it
there!)  I think, this paper could serve as your general guide, without
any change.  Read it, and enjoy!

Best wishes
            Oto

------------------------------

Date:    1 June 89, 19:13:07 +0200 (MESZ)
From:    Otto Stolz      <RZOTTO@DKNKURZ1.BITNET>
Subject: re: Virus writing - crime?

According to German (FRG) law, its a crime to
   "alter computer data, willingly and unauthorized".

A virus spreads by altering computer data (viz. the program being
infected), while it is not authorized to do so.  Neither is the virus
author, who is responsible for his brainchild's behaviour he has
created, willingly.  Hence, ...

Warning:  When you dispatch a virus, you'll be subject to imprisonment
          not exceeding 3 years, as soon as your virus spreads to
          Germany :-)
          (5 years, if the computer infected is essential to an authority
          or a company)
          Let me just get hold of you|

In earnest: while I'm not sure, whether this crime will be perceived
as commited in Germany, if the virus was written elsewhere, I want to
point out, that there are indeed places in the world where EVERY virus
is deemed culpable: there's NO distinction between "good" and "evil"
virus strains.

Best wishes
            Otto

------------------------------

Date:    1 June 89, 19:38:33 +0200 (MESZ)
From:    Otto Stolz     <RZOTTO@DKNKURZ1.BITNET>
Subject: Legal hints (for USA), pertaining to viruses

Hi folks,

yesterday, I got hold of a paper that could be interesting to VIRUS-L
readers.  (Maybe, you know it already, but then, why haven't you let
us know? :-) I'll just quote the title page, so you can try to spot it
in USA (don't request it from me, I'm not going to carry coals to
Newcastle):

> March 1989
>
>              American Council on Education
>                          and
>                United Educators Insurance
>
>                         present
>
>                     a White Paper on
>
>                     Computer Viruses
>                 Legal and Policy Issues
>             Facing Colleges and Universities
>
>                       Prepared by
>                    David R. Johnson,
>                     Thomas P. Olson,
>                           and
>                      David G. Post
>                            of
>                Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering
>                   2245 M Street, N.W.
>                  Washington, D.C. 20037
>                     (202) 663-6000

While they are a bit sloppy in technical issues, especially in telling
viruses from worms, they seem to be profound in legal issues--as far
as a layman like me can tell.

I'll knock-off work for now; I reckon I've done enough for VIRUS-L for
today.  Hope I didn't bore you.  Regards
                                         Otto

------------------------------

Date: 	 Thu, 1 Jun 89 19:53:08 EDT
From:    watmath!egvideo!edhew@uunet.UU.NET (Ed Hew)
Subject: Re: Dirty Dozen update

In article <0006.8905301959.AA06345@ubu.CC.Lehigh.EDU> you write:
>Could someone send me an updated copy of the "DIRTY DOZEN", PLEASE.
>The most recent version I have is dated 2/21/88. I am JJMC @ LEHIGH.
>Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

I don't have a copy at all.  Would you care to forward one to me
please when you get yours?

]Ed. How about one for me also, so that I can make it available for
anonymous FTP and LISTSERV access?(

  Thanks.		--ed	{edhew@egvideo.uucp}

 Ed. A. Hew     Authorized SCO Technical Trainer      Xeni/Con Corporation
 work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
 home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
 # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 02 Jun 89 11:27:36 +0300
From:    "Yuval Tal (972)-8-474592" <NYYUVAL@WEIZMANN.BITNET>
Subject: More about virus maker (PC)

I checked virus maker a bit more and this is what it does. It knows
three viruses (my mistake, last time) and it can put one of the three
on a diskette that you insert to the disk drive. This program was
written by some programmers who call themself 'MUGS'. These are the
three viruses:

1) Virus JJ/88 - As the program says, it will attack the ROM for an hour.
2) Virus FX/48 - This virus will delay the computer every time you turn it
                 on.

3) Mug's virus - This virus will harm the BIOS and the micro
                 alternator system (MAS). After operating this
                 function turn off the computer for at least 14
                 minutes and don't put this disk in you computer's
                 drive.

Ok, this is what they say!

I haven't tried running (i was afraid something counld happen)
although i think what they are saying is rubish because how can they
harm an EPROM or how can they access the ROM?! It's impossible!

Has anyone seen any of this viruses?

- -Yuval Tal (NYYUVAL@WEIZMANN)

|Yuval Tal                                                              |
|The Weizmann Institute Of Science                                      |
|Rehovot, Israel                     "Only fools are quoted" - Anonymous|
Acknowledge-To: <NYYUVAL@WEIZMANN>

End of VIRUS-L Digest