Date:    Fri, 02 Jun 89 11:37:26 EDT
From:    Jenny Wirtschafter <CANDIE@PACEVM.BITNET>
Subject: Possible Virus Encountered (PC)

Hi-
  Recently we began noticing a problem on some of our software,
specifically WordPerfect.  On all of our WordPerfect disks we get the
error can not find correct copy of WP.EXE.  If an infected disk is
used on a machine without rebooting it infects all disks used
subsequently.  The disks are infected immediatly, there is no latency
period.  Another symptom we have noticed is the monitor will display
snow and start scrolling/clearing the screen at random intervals.
When infected disks are reformatted they have numerous bad sectors.
We are worried that the virus might be infecting all of our disks.  It
might be surfacing on the Wordperfect disk, because they must be used
without a write protect tab.  Or possibly the sectors which the virus
first infects are necessary to WordPerfect performing correctly.  Has
anyone else encountered this problem?  Does anyone have any ideas on
how we should proceed?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                                      Jenny Wirtschafter
                                      Academic Computing

------------------------------

Date:    Fri Jun  2 14:41:28 1989
From:    utoday!greenber@uunet.uu.net
Subject: FluShot+ version, the final word

Whoops!  Looked like some of the doc didn;t get as updated as I
would have liked, and that a mistake was made on the 1.16 stuff (I
guess I should learn how to use WordStar's global replace! :-) )

My apologies for the confusion.  I'll issue a minor update early next
week with all inconsistancies removed - and I'll forward a copy on
to Keith @ Simtel20 immediately.

Excuse my laziness here:  there is no excuse for it, and I resolve
to not let such a problem occur in the future.

Ross M. Greenberg
Author, FLU_SHOT+  (all versions! :-) )

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Jun 89 16:50:35 EDT
From:    luken@ubu.cc.lehigh.edu (Kenneth R. van Wyk)
Subject: Anyone ever hear of "Little Black Box" virus?  (PC)

Has anyone ever heard anything of a PC virus known as the "Little
Black Box"?  The only information that I have is that it is allegedly
similar to the Friday the 13th virus.  ANY information would be
greatly appreciated.

Ken

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 2 Jun 89 17:05:38 EDT
From:    luken@ubu.cc.lehigh.edu (Kenneth R. van Wyk)
Subject: nVIR origins sought.  (Mac)

Does anyone have any information regarding the origin of the nVIR
virus?  Also, is anyone aware of any infections that _MAY HAVE_
originated on Compuserve?

Any assistance from some Mac expert out there would be appreciated.

Ken van Wyk

End of VIRUS-L Digest