[comp.virus] comp.virus usenet virus handbook

davidf@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (David.J.Ferbrache) (06/04/89)

The idea of a handbook associated with the newsgroup is an excellent
one, although I would caution that such a handbook can not be a
comprehensive guide to known viruses and trojan horses without a
significant (major) amount of effort on the part of the editorial
committee.

There are a number of excellent general papers available describing
the nature of computer viruses, and the countermeasures which can be
taken to prevent their spread. A general guide should probably
incorporate this information, together with a short symptomatic
description of the major common computer viruses across all systems.
It would also be worth incorporating and updating the Dirty dozen list
(by the way 8D available from Heriot-Watt University archive).

It would also be useful to incorporate a public domain anti-viral
software guide (a la Compute's computer virus book), including details
of software availability via Jim Wright's archive site initiative.

> (1) How much information should be provided in the general guide?

Hmm, I would say that the guide should be aimed at casual non-systems
programmers. The use of binary and resource editors together with disk
recovery and reconstruction techniques are probably best ommitted from
the beginners section. It might be possible to describe the use of
norton utilities to destroy boot sector viruses on the IBM, and
resedit to identify and repair infected Mac applications. In general
however there is little or no reason to utilise Resedit directly when
such powerful repair tools as Disinfectant are available.

The guide should include:

1. A general introduction to the concept of a virus
2. Brief historical overview and perspective on the threat
3. Operational principles of viruses in brief (v101?)
4. Prevention, detection and recovery from viral infection
   (ie backups, software policies, use of checksum and file
    alteration checking techniques, disk access monitors etc..
    mentioning the categories of anti-viral software).
   (maybe also include a checklist of simple anti-viral measures)
5. Known viruses (symptomatic description in brief)
   a. IBMPC b. MAC c.Atari d.Amiga e.Apple II
6. Trojan horses and other replicating programs

Appendices: Glossary. Public domain software - availability and review.
   References. Dirty Dozen Trojan List. Bulletin Board contacts.

> (2) How best do we handle duplicate effort?

There is quite a bit of duplication to date, in Europe Klaus' virus
directory will hopefully serve as a central focus for the viral code
analysis and disassembly. In the UK there is CoTRA (computer threat
research association) and the BCVRC (British computer virus research
centre).  A number of people are producing listing of known viruses,
documentation on anti-viral techniques and software etc. The Homebase
bulletin board, CVIA, SDCNA, NCSC, MacMash etc all jump to mind as
possible organisations worth contacting.

> (3) How do we assemble the editor staff?

Tricky. Ideally you want the widest possible spread of expertise,
preferably including an Atari ST and Amiga expert (George Woodside,
Steve Tibbett ??).  When the project gets off the ground I am sure you
will not be short of volunteers for the project, if you wish any
feedback on the UK virus scene then please get in touch and I will be
happy to help.

> (4) How much staff do we need?  One or two for each supplement? One
> for each general chapter? Should we have a chief editor or two to
> oversee the whole effort and help to assure that project goals are
> being met?  How about a temporary peer review group to evaluate each
> section as the guide is being built for the first time?

Ideally a general editor who has a wide experience of viruses across
all systems to prepare the introductory section, volunteers for each
major machine type to deal with the specific problems of that machine
(known viruses, specific disinfection software reviews etc).

If you wish to include a degree of technical detail then this might
include advanced recovery techniques (eg boot sector, partition
record, resource and binary editing), use of signature recognition to
detect viral infection, repair of infected application programs, maybe
even a catalog of viruses with algorithmic descriptions.

> (5) How about a different name for the effort?

I would suggest an ad-hoc mailing list. Such discussion is not
suitable for a newsgroup as such (unless possibly a temporary alt.
group). Easiest is to add volunteers or interested parties to the
list, with a known redistribution address at your site. I suspect that
the effort may generate a great deal of discussion which would
probably swamp most newsgroups!

Thanks for volunteering Jim, Good luck.

Dave Ferbrache                       Internet   <davidf@cs.hw.ac.uk>
Dept of computer science             Janet      <davidf@uk.ac.hw.cs>
Heriot-Watt University               UUCP       ..!mcvax!hwcs!davidf
79 Grassmarket                       Telephone  +44 31-225-6465 ext 553
Edinburgh, United Kingdom            Facsimile  +44 31-220-4277
EH1 2HJ                              BIX/CIX    dferbrache