[comp.virus] nVIR Origins

XRJDM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Joe McMahon) (06/03/89)

I vaguely remember downloading some assembler code from CIS a looong
while back (pre-Scores) that purported to be source for a virus
similar to nVIR. I didn't save it, mostly because I didn't see any use
for it then. It would have been a good guide to writing an anti-viral,
I suppose.

In fact, if I remember right, the resources it used were indeed called
nVIR!

 --- Joe M.

Internet: xrjdm@scfvm.gsfc.nasa.gov |  "I've seen yellow stripes down the
   Phone: (301) 286-8090            |  middle of the road, but never
     CIS: 72330,554                 |  quite so WIDE..." - Dorothy

spector%vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU@NYBVX1 (David HM Spector) (06/06/89)

In article <0001.8906051718.AA01402@ubu.CC.Lehigh.EDU>
VIRUS-L@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.EDU writes:
>I vaguely remember downloading some assembler code from CIS a looong
>while back (pre-Scores) that purported to be source for a virus
>similar to nVIR. I didn't save it, mostly because I didn't see any use
>for it then. It would have been a good guide to writing an anti-viral,
>I suppose.
>
>In fact, if I remember right, the resources it used were indeed called
>nVIR!
>
> --- Joe M.

I believe that you are referring to the posting of partial source to
the original nVIR (non-A, non-B) by Matthias Uhrlichs (I can never
remember the proper spelling of his name. Sorry, Matthias).

This nVIR was a malignant predecessor of nVIR A and nVIR B, one of
which (I think A) was writtin by M.U. in the hope that it would
overtake the malignant nVIR. His good sense has been debated before,
but we have him to thank that the nVIRs running around aren't deadly.
The original one trashed files at random. The reason his non-malignant
variant was able to overtake the original is that the original one
wouldn't infect a system which was already infected, while nVIRs A and
B will reinfect an app every time it is launched. (Thus the strange
hybrids reported by John Norstaad.)

All of this is from memory, so it's possible I may be forgetting
something or remembering it wrong.

- ---
Alexis Rosen
temporarily at spector@vx2.gba.nyu.edu