Date:    5 June 1989, 15:17:55 EDT
From:    Walt Hillis    (614) 593-2661   <IRPGMR9@OUACCVMB.BITNET>
Subject: Information on the Brain virus (PC)

Reading through current mailings, I found a reference to information
about the Brain (Pakistani) Virus.  However, there was no specific
volume number or anything even close.  Could someone tell me where to
find this information?

Thanks in advance.

Walt Hillis
Asst. Mgr. Alden Computer Lab
Ohio University, Athens OH.

Disclaimer:  These are my own ideas and thoughts... I think.

------------------------------

Date:    5 June 89, 19:50:36 +0200 (MESZ)
From:    Otto Stolz     <RZOTTO@DKNKURZ1.BITNET>
Subject: re: Anyone ever hear of "Little Black Box" virus?  (PC)

> Has anyone ever heard anything of a PC virus known as the "Little
> Black Box"?

Ken,

my personal copy of "Friday, 13th" virus (alias "Israel#1", alias "PLO")
exhibits a characteristic "black hole" in the lower left half of EGA
screens:  If you set the background color to blue, say, you'll see a
black rectangle, sized 1 by 8 (approximately) character-boxes.  This
feature could well cause somebody to dub this virus "Little Black Box".

Hence, I suppose, you just hit on a new alias for the notorious
"Friday, 13th".

Best wishes
             Otto

]Ed. Bingo.  Little Black Box is an alias for Black Hole...(

------------------------------

Date:    MON JUN 05, 1989 18.44.23 EST
From:    "David A. Bader" <DAB3@LEHIGH>
Subject: IEEE Article on LapLink

In June 1989 issue of IEEE's Spectrum magazine, there is an article on
"Virtually a virus, but for a good cause" :

  Computer Viruses -- and other programs that disrupt networks or other-
wise play havoc with computer systems -- have been in the limelight
lately.  Now an over-the-counter program advertises a utility that lets
it clone itself from one microcomputer to another over a cable.
  The facility is not a virus, but it behaves like one -- except that
the target must agree to be "invaded." Nor is it a simple COPY command,
since it copies files from the domain of one independent system into
that of another.
  The program is LapLink III, a file-transfer utility from Traveling
Software, Inc., Bothell, Wash.  To transfer files from a PC with LapLink
intstalled to a second machine without it, users enter a one-line
command, and the program will send a copy of itself across the wire.
  However, Traveling Software has built in a safeguard: the program
installs itself only if the user types the MS-DOS MODE command to alert
the second PC's operating system that a file is to be received.  By
requiring that the receiving machine be notified of the transfer,
LapLinks' designers have reduced the chance of malice.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 05 Jun 89 18:57 EDT
From:    Bo Slaughter <BO@CLEMSON.BITNET>
Subject: Virus List available by FTP?

I keep reading where you all are talking about papers listing viruses
and there attributes, and I began to wonder..  Is there a good,
comprehensive, detailed list of reported IBM viruses available through
internet FTP? If there is, I would LOVE to get hold of a copy..

Thanks.

Bo Slaughter
Clemson University

]Ed. There's a pretty good one on lll-winken.llnl.gov (which is
currently going through some teething problems with a new version of
TCP/IP) under the filename ~ftp/virus-l/docs/goodwin.list.  The list
is by Jim Goodwin of HomeBase.  I'll try to have the same file
available for LISTSERV and FTP access on IBM1.CC.LEHIGH.EDU (aka
LEHIIBM1.BITNET) shortly.(

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Jun 89 19:57:08 -0400
From:    "Jonathan V. Brinkmann" <jvb7u@astsun.astro.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: nVirB infection at teesside poly, uk (Mac)

In article <0004.8906051718.AA01402@ubu.CC.Lehigh.EDU> you write:
>As soon as I discovered how effective it is, I
>removed Vaccine from my system: GateKeeper is much more thorough (as
>it checks the writing of *any* resource, not just CODE) and much less
>intrusive.

Where can I obtain a copy of GateKeeper?  It looks like the last word
in anti-Viral software.

Jon Brinkmann		BITnet:		jvb7u@Virginia.EDU
Astronomy Department 	ARPA/Internet:	jvb7u@astsun1.acc.Virginia.EDU
University of Virginia	UUCP:		...!uunet!virginia!jvb7u
P.O. Box 3818		SPAN/HEPnet:	6654::jvb7u
Charlottesvile, VA  22903-0818

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 5 Jun 89 18:57:55 PDT
From:    khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw)
Subject: virus-l digests still on comp.virus

I applaud the undigestifying of comp.virus on Usenet, but the digested
form of the same articles is still appearing on comp.virus.

Mike Khaw

- --
ParcPlace Systems, 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043    415/691-6749
Domain=khaw@parcplace.com, UUCP={uunet,sun,decwrl}!parcplace!khaw

]Ed. Thanks for the feedback!  Actually, another site has been
gracious enough to send out the digests to Usenet for us (in addition
to our sending out the individual messages) - I'm trying to persuade
them to stop, so please bear with me.(

------------------------------

Date:    5 Jun 89 22:51:23 CDT (Mon)
From:    aicchi!joeloda@antares.mcs.anl.gov (Joe Loda)
Subject: Re: Call For Discussion:  The Usenet Virus Handbook

Hi,

    Could you please tell me how to get a copy of this?  Being on the
UUCP side of things tends to mess me up all the time when I try to
access these servers.

Thanks for your help ... Joe.

- --
Joe Loda   Analysts International (AiC) - Chicago Branch
Usenet:  ..!aicchi!joeloda
GEnie :  J.LODA

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 6 Jun 89 03:39:50 -0500
From:    spector%vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU@NYBVX1 (David HM Spector)
Subject: Re: nVIR Origins (Mac)

In article <0001.8906051718.AA01402@ubu.CC.Lehigh.EDU>
VIRUS-L@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.EDU writes:
>I vaguely remember downloading some assembler code from CIS a looong
>while back (pre-Scores) that purported to be source for a virus
>similar to nVIR. I didn't save it, mostly because I didn't see any use
>for it then. It would have been a good guide to writing an anti-viral,
>I suppose.
>
>In fact, if I remember right, the resources it used were indeed called
>nVIR!
>
> --- Joe M.

I believe that you are referring to the posting of partial source to
the original nVIR (non-A, non-B) by Matthias Uhrlichs (I can never
remember the proper spelling of his name. Sorry, Matthias).

This nVIR was a malignant predecessor of nVIR A and nVIR B, one of
which (I think A) was writtin by M.U. in the hope that it would
overtake the malignant nVIR. His good sense has been debated before,
but we have him to thank that the nVIRs running around aren't deadly.
The original one trashed files at random. The reason his non-malignant
variant was able to overtake the original is that the original one
wouldn't infect a system which was already infected, while nVIRs A and
B will reinfect an app every time it is launched. (Thus the strange
hybrids reported by John Norstaad.)

All of this is from memory, so it's possible I may be forgetting
something or remembering it wrong.

- ---
Alexis Rosen
temporarily at spector@vx2.gba.nyu.edu