[comp.virus] Network nasties or tough micro restrictions

ZDEE699@ELM.CC.KCL.AC.UK (06/16/89)

In VIRUS-L Digest V2 #137, 14 Jun 89, Kenneth van Wyk writes:

>The change has made me curious about the future of VIRUS-L/comp.virus.
>I will, as promised, continue to moderate, but where is the group
>heading?  At the SEI, my project is very Internet related.  I'd like
>to see some of the discussions here on VIRUS-L touch on network
>security issues.  I'd also like to see more discussions on
>non-microcomputers.  (This doesn't mean that we're abandoning micros
>by any means, merely that I'd like to see the group branch into other
>areas as well.)

	I agree with Ken that there should be more discussions on
network security issues. I joined the discussion list in November 88,
on the exact day when the RTM virus struck the internet community, and
most of the talk was about networks. Nowadays, it looks like the list
has gone to microcomputer-based viruses discussions...  We have had
few problems with these types of nasties in King's, simply because
restrictions on running software are followed carefully. I mean that
nobody is allowed to bring his/her own software and run it on the
machines. There is a strict registration scheme for use of PC's and
Macs, and whenever a machine is infected, it is possible to trace the
culprit (who often didn't even know that his floppy was infected) and
ban him from using the facilities.  Machines are checked for viruses
every morning using available checking programs, and any infection is
immediately dealed with. If anyone wants to run their own software
they must first submit it to the computer centre who will check it
carefully on a separate machine... etc. etc.
	This might sound rather strict to some people, and others
might think that it is a great waste of time, but it's a choice. As a
result, we haven't had *any* cases when all machines are infected,
loss of valuable information and so on.

	Coming back to network security, here is the question:
" Would another major disaster like the November 1988 Internet Worm be
possible now, more than 6 months later ? "

Feedback welcomed - Usual disclaimers apply...

O. Crepin-Leblond - Computer Systems & Electronics 2
Electrical & Electronics Engineering
King's College London, UK
|Olivier M.J. Crepin-Leblond                        |- If no-one can do it|
|JANET   :<zdee699@uk.ac.kcl.cc.elm>                |  then do it yourself|
|BITNET  :<zdee699%elm.cc.kcl.ac.uk@ukacrl>         |- If you can't do it,|
|INTERNET:<zdee699%elm.cc.kcl.ac.uk@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay>|then  P A N I C !!|