[comp.virus] Other Mac viruses

ACSAZ@SEMASSU.BITNET (06/27/89)

                                               ACSAZ@SEMASSU, 26-JUN-1989

    Hello,
Besides nVir and Scores, what other viruses are `out' for the Mac.  I
am interested in their frequency of appearence and how they can be
identified and dealt with.

                Muchos Gracias,

                                   Alex Z... . .  .

macman@ethz.uucp (07/04/89)

>From macman Mon Jul  3 22:09:02 MET 1989 remote from ethz
>Newsgroups: comp.virus

There are quite a few other viruses on the loose: Several new strains
of nVIR (named Hpat, AIDS, etc), with mainly the same infection code.
Some are more harmful, some are less. Then, INIT 29, which is extremely
virulent (active), but doesn't destroy anything. ANTI, which cannot be
detected by ResEdit or older virus detection programs. This one is
fairly widespread in Europe, but not much in the USA (the opposite
is with Scores). Prevention methods, besides fair computer hygiene
(i.e. being careful when swapping disks with someone else) i urgently
recommend the *regular* use of a virus detector such as Disinfectant
or VirusDetective (commercial products like sam or virex do the same
job, but cost). By regular, I mean on every new disk/program you
receive, even if it was a sealed original, *plus* once a week on your
hard disk.

- -- Danny Schwendener
   MASH Virus Group

| Mail    :  Danny Schwendener, ETH Macintosh Support                   |
|            Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH-8092 Zuerich     |
| Bitnet  :  macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman |
| Internet:  macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times          |