[comp.virus] FAT information

PEPRBV%CFAAMP.BITNET@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.Edu (Bob Babcock) (07/19/89)

MIROWSKI@FRECP12.BITNET writes:

>It's rarely necessary to care about the distinction between 360 Ko and
>1.2 Mo disks, because the information about the format is in the second
>sector of the disk (the first FAT sector) and DOS will take this second
>information in consideration.

The information is also in the Bios Parameter Block (BPB) in the
boot sector, and you're asking for trouble if the FAT and BPB
disagree.  A while back there was a claim in PC Magazine that
PC-DOS 3.3 required that the OEM id field in the boot sector
contain the characters "IBM".  The evidence offered for this was
that if the boot sector on a disk which PC-DOS 3.3 rejected was
replaced by a boot sector from an acceptable disk, the disk
became acceptable.  In fact, what was really happening was that
there was bad information in the BPB, and PC-DOS was complaining
about this.  I have a program called SCAT, which I got off of
BIX, which writes a valid boot sector on a floppy.  The original
purpose was to replace a non-standard boot sector which FastBack
writes, but perhaps it would also be useful for removing a boot
sector virus.  If there's any interest, I could send a copy to
the moderator for posting.