[net.lan] thin Ethernet advice wanted

jqj@svax.cs.cornell.edu (J Q Johnson) (08/02/86)

I'm planning Ethernet wiring for a new building (about 150 stations).
I'd been planning a traditional scheme with thick backbone+xcver in
hallway raceways and drops into each office, similar to my existing
offices.  However, I am investigating using thin Ethernet instead.

I'd appreciate advice from one of you who has installed thin Ethernet
in a multiple-individual-office environment.  The environment is quite
multivendor, with a few VAXes, 50 Xerox Dandelions, perhaps a dozen
each of SUNs and Symbolics Lisp Machines, and lots of other vendors'
hardware.  Also, most offices currently contain only a single
workstation, though this may change in the next few years.

A thin ether configuration would presumably consist of a DEC DEMPR or
equivalent, with one RG58 leg running down each hallway, looping into
each office (say 8 offices) for a 300' maximum length.  In each office
the RG58 loop would appear at one point on a wallplate.  This might be
the base of a T-connector (allowing a cheapernet xcver like the DEC
DESTA to be attached directly to the wall) or a BNC connector with a
small external loop of RG58, allowing extension of the RG58 into the
office.  Does this latter scheme introduce too many connectors and
hence reflections on the ether?  Does having connectors in each office
make it likely that users will accidentally disconnect the Ethernet
cable?  Are there better plans?

I'm also interested specifically in the DEC thin-ether xcver (DESTA).
Does anyone know how compatible it is with non-DEC interfaces?  Does it
provide (disableable) heartbeat like the H4005?  Are there preferable
alternatives from other vendors?  Can I hook a DELNI to a DESTA?

I don't completely understand the configuration issues for thin ether.
RG58 of course has greater attenuation and slower propogation than does
thick ether.  What is the delay budget, etc. for a multiport repeater
like a DEMPR (is it just like a standard repeater)?  DEC's "networks"
guide states that a thick segment connected to a DEMPR must be less
than standard length and have no other repeaters; why?

Are lots of BNC connectors in the thin segments a problem?  How about
transitions between thick and thin ether cable (would I do well to
replace long straight runs of RG58 with transitions and thick ether)?

Anything else I should beware of?

Probably best to reply by mail unless you think your answers are of general
interest:	jqj@systems.cs.cornell.edu      [preferred]
		jqj@cornell.arpa OR jqj@crnlcs.bitnet OR jqj@cornell.uucp

dennisg@pwcs.UUCP (Dennis Grittner) (08/07/86)

In article <436@svax.cs.cornell.edu> jqj@systems.cs.cornell.edu (J Q Johnson) writes:
>I'm planning Ethernet wiring for a new building (about 150 stations).
>I'd been planning a traditional scheme with thick backbone+xcver in
>hallway raceways and drops into each office, similar to my existing
>offices.  However, I am investigating using thin Ethernet instead.

I would like responses on this to be posted to the net. I have
similar questions about thin ethernet and mixing thick and think
as well as the specific devices for doing this AND is any/all of
this a good idea.

Thanks in advance..

Dennis Grittner		Public Works Computer Services
612-298-4402		Room 700, 25 W. 4th St.
			St. Paul, Minn. 55102

I must have been asleep for twenty years - - Ronald ( Bonzo )
Reagan is president? - - Rip von Grittner - 1986

michaels@hplabsb.UUCP (Robert Michaels) (08/12/86)

In article <210@pwcs.UUCP>, dennisg@pwcs.UUCP (Dennis Grittner) writes:
> In article <436@svax.cs.cornell.edu> jqj@systems.cs.cornell.edu (J Q Johnson) writes:
> >I'm planning Ethernet wiring for a new building (about 150 stations).
> >I'd been planning a traditional scheme with thick backbone+xcver in
> >hallway raceways and drops into each office, similar to my existing
> >offices.  However, I am investigating using thin Ethernet instead.
> >
> I would like responses on this to be posted to the net. I have
> similar questions about thin ethernet and mixing thick and think
> as well as the specific devices for doing this AND is any/all of
> this a good idea.

I've installed a so called thin ethernet here in 150+ workstation environment.
All the workstations are HP 9000s running Unix. In addition there are
several mainframes connected to this same network.

Thin ethernet was helpful for us because we have an open office environment
which uses cubicles instead of walls. We just drop the cable from office
to office, and make sure there is a BNC "T" connector in each office.
Although the thin segment can be up to 185meters and 30 connections I try
to keep the length and number to less than 100m and 10 connections. This
way I'm flexible for expansion or change. I use a multi-port repeater
built by HP called the HP 28645A which connects 4 thins to single thick
cable. It has half the delay of a standard repeater which means that
if you had no other repeaters on the net you could cascade these guys
4 deep. Although I can't say for sure unless DEC really screwed up
their multi-port repeater should have similar characteristics.

What I have found in running this thin stuff is that buying preconnected
cable is a major win. Also, trying to put a wall plate in each office
is not worth the effort. I figure how much cable it takes to go from
office to office and buy a bunch of cables for that length. Then each
office essentially has two cables coming in connected by a T. If someone
decides to add another host(s) in that office I just insert as much cable
and Ts as is necessary. BTW: There is no minimum distance spec necessary to
maintain in thin LAN (ie: you can place connections as close together as
you want).

The multi-port repeaters connect to a backbone(s) of thick cable which
runs between the floors of this building and finally ends in the computer
room where it ties into the mainframes.

One advantage of the multi-port repeaters is that they provide electrical
isolation to the remainder of the network. If any individual thin segement
gets unterminated or damaged for some reason the repeater isolates that
segment. If you need to change a particular part of the network you
don't run the risk of bothering all the users on the net by making a
bad tap. Besides, this RG-58 stuff is a lot easier to pull than a long
tranceiver cable or the yellow cable.

Hope this helps. I can tell you about how we are using multiple thick
backbones, ethernet patch panels and IP gateways in our environment
if you are interested.

- Robert ( michaels@hplabs )

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that these are my opinions and do not
	    necessarily state official HP policy.

ray@ssl-macc.co.uk (Ray Saxton) (08/21/86)

 We have a site with 16 suns and 2 vaxes, and have been running thinnet
with 3Com boxes for about a year now with no major problems. Each office
has several "barrel" connectors available for hooking in transceivers as
required. Although 3 floors of the building were wired as a single
segment of some 200 mtrs, it has been found prudent to trim this as
transfers between the end nodes were not 100% reliable. We have therefore
bypassed , or just plain ignored, some 30% of the net and now have no
problems.
	I say that we have no problems now , but starting up was a pain.
Firstly loose connections proliferated, despite having professionals in to
do the job. As suggested preformed cables would cure this one . Secondly
and more annoyingly was the reaction of both DEC and SUN "engineers"
on seeing the thinnet. That won't work. Thats not 10mtrs ....on and on and on
they went.We still have the state where VAX A runs a H4000 into the net
and works, Vax B runs an H4000 into the net and works to some sites .
This is blamed on the thinnet by both sets of Engineers, despite tests
that proved that cable length did not affect the ability of certain sites
to communicate nor  the inability of the others to communicate . We have
finally resolved the problem by hooking the VAxes via Delni and then hooking
that into the despised thinnet via the good H4000. My only worry is
what happens if that H4000 goes to meet its forefathers.

--
	Ray Saxton    ray@uk.co.ssl-macc  UK PSS 2342 672500104
		      mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!sslvax!ray

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (08/26/86)

In article <362@ssl-macc.co.uk> ray@ssl-macc.co.uk (Ray Saxton) writes:

> We have a site with 16 suns and 2 vaxes, and have been running thinnet
>with 3Com boxes for about a year now with no major problems. Each office
>has several "barrel" connectors available for hooking in transceivers as
>required. Although 3 floors of the building were wired as a single
>segment of some 200 mtrs, it has been found prudent to trim this as
>transfers between the end nodes were not 100% reliable.

According to the DEC _Networks and Communications Buyer's Guide_, page
2.102, "ThinWire Ethernet is good for 185 meters and only 30 devices.
How many devices did you have?

>and more annoyingly was the reaction of both DEC and SUN "engineers"
>on seeing the thinnet. That won't work. Thats not 10mtrs ....on and on and on

What?

>This is blamed on the thinnet by both sets of Engineers, despite tests
>that proved that cable length did not affect the ability of certain sites
>to communicate nor  the inability of the others to communicate.

I wouldn't consider this a definitive test. Some devices may have more
margin than others, that doesn't mean your cable plant isn't beyond
spec.  In particular I believe that 3Com boxes are designed with extra
margin and so their ability to work doesn't mean you can expect other
Ethernet compatible equipment to work.

> We have
>finally resolved the problem by hooking the VAxes via Delni and then hooking
>that into the despised thinnet via the good H4000. My only worry is
>what happens if that H4000 goes to meet its forefathers.

Sounds like you're living on borrowed time to me.

--
 Rain follows the plow.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com