[net.followup] Listen to Radio Moscow

billp@azure.UUCP (09/05/84)

-------------
There's been a lot of noise on the net about what the Soviets are saying and
what their plans are.  May I suggest going to the source?
Radio Moscow is broadcasting in English every day.  Their North American
Service is beamed directly at the United States, and reception is fairly good
with any reasonable shortwave receiver.  You'll be amazed at what you hear.

To any Liberals:
No, that's not a clandestine CIA operation, designed to discredit the Soviets
by grossly exaggerating every stereotype that you ever heard of them.
At first you may think that this must be a parody of the actual Soviets, the
way the net articles by Ken Arndt are a parody of conservatives.  Let me assure
you, that this is for real.  Just listen a while, and you'll gather that
from the context, if you are reasonably rational.

To any Conservatives:
Don't worry that listening to Radio Moscow might 'corrupt' you.  It will just
confirm a lot of the bad things you always assumed about the Soviets, and give
you a lot of 'ammunition' in debates.  The cultural programs might point out
to you, however, that there is a difference between the Russian people and
the Soviet state.

	Bill Pfeifer
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4,allegra,uw-beaver,hplabs} !tektronix!tekmdp!billp

bob@plus5.UUCP (Bob Simpson) (09/07/84)

> From: billp@tekmdp (Bill Pfeifer)
>		Radio Moscow is broadcasting in English every day.
>	Their North American Service is beamed directly at the United
>	States, and reception is fairly good with any reasonable
>	shortwave receiver.  You'll be amazed at what you hear.

		I would dig out my old radio and listen to this stuff
	(just once, for medicinal purposes  B-) if I knew where on the
	dial to turn.  Anyone kind enough to post the frequency should
	assume that I will need "fail-safe" instructions on finding it
	on my radio.
--
		bob@plus5		USENET	..!ihnp4!plus5!bob

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (09/07/84)

I've picked it up on my car radio, at around 600 Khz on the AM dial, while
driving through Virginia.

klemets@ttds.UUCP (Anders Klemets) (09/16/84)

> What is the short wave band and frequency for the Radio Moscow broadcasts?
When I first read this I almost thought it was a joke.
Here in the northen Europe it's more difficult AVOIDING listening to
Radio Moscow on a AM-radio. I hear Radio Moscow in my stereo-recorder and
in the microphone connected to my sound-mixer. I'm bored of Radio Moscow.
But I think that the situation must be the same in the US too. Or are there
maybe local stations that interfere stronger than Radio Moscow there?
By the way, did you know that in 1981 the Radio Moscow World Service had
transmissions in 63 different languages? They also have another station,
called "Radio Peace and Progress - The voice of the Soviet public opinion."
Sounds disgusting, doesn't it?
If you haven't yet had the unpleasant experience of listening to Radio Moscow
you can try dialing a shortwave radio (or mediumwave, but not in the US)
with as short antenna as possibly. With a short antenna you will only be
able to receive local stations, Radio Moscow and it's opposite pole,
The Voice of America (I don't enjoy listening to it either).
Dial slowly through the 49, 41, 31, 25 and 19 -meter bands on the radio.
If you hear a station where the speaker has a typically American dialect,
it's not Radio Moscow. Radio Moscow is so easy to recognize, because there's
always a soft metallic sound added to the speakers voice, like he is speaking
through a tube.
If you try to listen at some other station, you will often find that
Radio Moscow is disturbing the station by transmitting on the same frequency.
If you hear a terrible noise, then it's a Soviet jammer. Sometimes they
accidentaly jam themselves.
Should you hear something thats sounds like a slow machinegun, it's the
Soviet radar which sees beyond the horisont. It's often called "The
Russian woodpecker". The US also has shortwave radars (I think I read
something about that they don't) but the difference between them is that
the Russian one operates on the public radio bands (eg. the 19, 25 -meter
bands and so on) but the American doesn't. (The American one doesn't sound
like a furious woodpecker either.)

The more interesting aspects in DX-ing (shortwave listening) is to listen
at Radio Polonia, Radio Afghanistan, The Voice of the Islamic republic of
Iran, The voice of Lebanon, and all the others and try to
make oneself an own opinion.

73's de Anders Klemets
mcvax!enea!ttds!klemets

jcp@brl-tgr.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) (09/17/84)

Good frequencies for Radio Moscow are around 9700 Khz (+ and - by about 100
Khz), and around 6150 Khz (+100Khz - 50Khz).  They have lots of transmitters
around there.  They also relay on Radio Havana Cuba occasionally.
Interestingly enough, propagation is such that they're hard to hear in
the Eastern US now, (particularly after 0100 UT or so).  Usually it is
impossible to turn on a shortwave radio and spin the dial without coming
across one of their frequencies, (and they use *LOTS* of power...)
In addition to Radio Moscow, there is Radio Leningrad and Radio Kiev,
(they share transmitters), and Voice of Peace and Progress.  All the
communism you can stand to listen to...

						-JCP-

jcp@brl-tgr.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) (09/19/84)

Another good frequency is 7195Khz up to about 2400UT.  They close
down after 2400 though.  Theres a DX programme on about 2200 UT or
so on Monday nights by the way.  (The announcer speaks better English
than almost anyone I speak to regularly...)

					-JCP-

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (09/21/84)

For anyone who is interested, if you have one of those cheap
clock radios beside your bed, you can bring in quite a few
SW stations after dark along the East coast.  It seems most
of these radios don't have filters.  I can start at the low
end of the AM band and pick up at least 15 or 20 SW stations
from all over Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, and
several other areas.  I often listen to Radio Moscow when
something interesting has happened just to hear what they
have to say.  During the great British/Argentinian affair
last year, I was listening to the station on Ascension Island
(Radio Volcano) where the news was being relayed from  the
Faulklands.  (They also had a great Disc Jockey).  I have
DXed perhaps 50 or 60 different countries using the old
clock radio.  Everything from the BBC Home Service to
Radio Bulgaria.  Most of the broadcasts are in English.
One other bennie is that you can pick up a couple of
homegrown SW services being broadcast from the USA.  Ther
is one somewhere in the midwest, Radio Earth I think it's
called, and one being broadcast from New Orleans during the
World Fair.  When you are tuning the radio for stations, you
have to have a very light touch.  Move the dial very slowly
and listen to everything you come across.  Once you get better
at it, you can pick out teletype transmissions, telemetered
transmissions from sattelites, and all sorts of other odd
transmissions.  I have a GE clock radio and one other from
some off brand company.  Both of these radios pick up the
SW transmissions after the sun sets.  They get so much traffic
after dark that I have difficulty picking up the local
station I use to wake me up.  The SW comes blasting in over
most local stations.  Give it a try, you might have a cheap
way to listen to RM and the rest of the world.
T. C. Wheeler

dwight@timeb.UUCP (Dwight Ernest) (09/22/84)

---
"[I can even pick up]...telemetered transmissions from satellites...
[on my cheap clock radio near my bed]...

Not hardly likely! ...unless you've an incredibly high-gain antenna
connected to it with heavy directional gain capabilities pointed in
EXACTLY the right direction.

What you're hearing that you think is satellite stuff MUST be something
else.

			73 de ka2cnn

--
		--Dwight Ernest	KA2CNN	\ Usenet:...vax135!timeinc!dwight
		Time Inc. Editorial Technology Group, New York City

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (09/26/84)

   >> ---
   >> "[I can even pick up]...telemetered transmissions from satellites...
   >> [on my cheap clock radio near my bed]...
   >>

   > Not hardly likely! ...unless you've an incredibly high-gain antenna
   > connected to it with heavy directional gain capabilities pointed in
   > EXACTLY the right direction.
   >
   > What you're hearing that you think is satellite stuff MUST be something
   > else.
   > 			73 de ka2cnn
   > 		--Dwight Ernest	KA2CNN	\ Usenet:...vax135!timeinc!dwight

Russian satellites can be heard about every 2 hours on 150.000 MHz,
using an ordinary scanner radio and a 19" piece of wire as an indoor
antenna.

I have monitored these satellites from here in Illinois, as have my
colleagues at our Murray Hill (NJ) laboratory.

Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

gurr@west44.UUCP (Dave Gurr) (10/10/84)

<force of habit ...>

I can pick up Radio Moscow on my old Phillip's reel-to-reel tape deck when it's
on play, pause and with the volume turned up.

Is this part of a Soviet funded plot by Phillip's ? Or did Phillip's
accidentally discover the radio/tape player before the radio/cassette ? :-)

	                    		 mcvax
	"Hello shoes! I'm sorry    	      \
	but I'm going to have to  		ukc!west44!gurr
	stand on you again!"		      /
					vax135

	Dave Gurr, Miles 33 plc, Bracknell, England.
		(on Westfield College, Univ. of London's PDP11/44)