[comp.virus] Computer Condom

MANAGER@JHUIGF.BITNET (08/02/89)

Barry D. Hassler <hassler@nap1.arpa> writes:
>Pardon me for my opinions (and lack of expertise in viral control),  but  I
>think  these  types  of products are dangerous to the purchaser, while most
>likely being especially profitable for the seller. I just  saw  a  copy  of
>this  floating around to some senior management-types after being forwarded
>several times, and dug up this copy to bounce my two cents off.

>First of all, I don't see any method which can  be  guaranteed  to  protect
>against  all  viruses (of course the "when programmed to your requirements"
>pretty well covers all bases, doesn't it?). Naturally, specific viruses  or
>methods   of   attach  can  be  covered  with  various  types  of  watchdog
>software/hardware, but I don't think  it  is  possible  to  cover  all  the
>avenues in any way.

Barry, I think it was supposed to be a joke. I mean, the company president's
name was Rick (or Dick) Cummings... Think about it. It's even better than that
thing by Mike RoChanle (Micro Channel). Remember that?

Damian Hammontree
System Programmer, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore
MANAGER @ JHUIGF

Disclaimer: I wouldn't be suprised if it was on the level and I'm wrong about
this, but I don't think so.... 8^)