[comp.virus] Accessing the archives without ftp

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (08/13/89)

In article <0003.8908111142.AA01970@ge.sei.cmu.edu> bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!bnr-public!
mlord@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Lord) writes:
| Would you consider perhaps someday posting VIRUSCAN to
| comp.binaries.ibm.pc ?

Not a good idea.  At the rate it is being updated, anything that eventually
got through c.b.i.p would be long out of date.

| I know I would love to have a copy, and there are probably thousands
| of other interested onlookers as well.  I know there are archive
| sites, but that doesn't help those of us who lack BITNET and FTP
| access.

If you can send email, you can access some of the archive sites.
I think its safe to say that you have access to email, right?
Here is a note I received from a VIRUS-L reader.  He was able to get
through to simtel using only email.  Before trying this, CHECK THE ARCHIVE
SITE LIST FOR THE SERVER NEAR YOU.  Overloading this one poor site would
not be a nice thing to do.

> I have just managed to access WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL from mail via
> LISTSERV@NDSUVM1. The commands I used are :
>
> 1) For a listing of the files in the directory :
>
>	/pddir pd:<msdos.trojan-pro>*.* 9999
>
> 2) To retreive a specified file :
>
>	/pdget pd:<msdos.trojan-pro>fname.ext

You can also get help, which will explain what is going on here.