[net.lan] DECnet/DOS

campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (08/30/86)

In article <223@awsum.UUCP> hlh@awsum.UUCP (Henry L. Hall) writes:
>I have heard about a DEC offering called PC/DECNET that I believe does
>allow some limited DECNET functionality to be accessed by a PC (I don't
>know what ethernet hardware is supported).

It's called "DECnet/DOS", and it works over either an asynchronous
line or Ethernet.  They support 3Com cards for sure, although I don't know
which ones, and I'm not sure if they support others, like Excelan.
I'm sure your local DEC sales rep can find out for you which cards
are supported.

DECnet/DOS functions as an end node (i.e., can't be a router), and
comes with SETHOST (TELNET), FAL (FTP server), NFT (FTP), and NCP
(network management software).  I've used it;  it works.
--
Larry Campbell                             The Boston Software Works, Inc.
ARPA: campbell%maynard.uucp@harvard.ARPA   120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109