[comp.virus] Virus Collecting

XRJDM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Joe McMahon) (08/31/89)

"Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195@UNIVSCVM> writes:

>How does one go about "capturing" virus code on an infected disk or at
>least view the offending code?  Would one use ResEdit?  Any other
>comments are most welcome.  Thanks much.

Very carefully. ResEdit is of course the best way of looking at the
resources in a given file, but it's of little use if you are attempting
do disassemble the code. MacNosy is a good debugger/disassembler
combination, once you know where the code is hiding.

My suggestion, of course, is to get rid of any virus you find as fast
as possible. If you're sure it's new, contact John Norstad at the
address in the Disinfectant documentation; he's interested in new
viruses, so that he can keep Disinfectant up to date.

 --- Joe M.