[comp.virus] VACSINA ... why we called it so

RY15%DKAUNI11.BITNET@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.Edu (Christoph Fischer) (08/31/89)

Hi, we called the virus VACSINA because the virus opens a file named VACSINA.
It dosen't check the return status of the open call. It never touches the
file till the end of the virus code, where it closes the file (again
ignoring the return code). We think the virus programmer will add some
code in a later version of the virus. (Remember we presumed that this is
a prematurely escaped virus). The word vaccine comes from the latin word
vacca = cow and is spelled with two c in all languages. Only in Norwegian
we found the word to be spelled vaksine. So VACSINA is rather odd and what
the virus does with the file it opens is odd too, so we decide to name the
virus VACSINA. Anyhow nobody will detect a virus by it's name like cascade
or vienna or whatever. The File length is somewhat ambigous and therefor
not necessarily suitable.
To detect the original virus we found, you can in fact search for the word
VACSINA (all capitals).
I hope this answers those questions about the name.
Chris

* Torsten Boerstler and Christoph Fischer and Rainer Stober     *
* Micro-BIT Virus Team / University of Karlsruhe / West-Germany *
* D-7500 Karlsruhe 1, Zirkel 2, Tel.: (0)721-608-4041 or 2067   *
* E-Mail: RY15 at DKAUNI11.BITNET or RY12 at DKAUNI11.BITNET    *

pfluegl%dream-d@ucsd.edu (Manfred J. Pfluegl) (09/06/89)

In article <0007.8908311207.AA03884@ge.sei.cmu.edu> RY15%DKAUNI11.BITNET@IBM1.C
C.Lehigh.Edu (Christoph Fischer) writes:

<stuff deleted>
>virus VACSINA. Anyhow nobody will detect a virus by it's name like cascade
>or vienna or whatever. The File length is somewhat ambigous and therefor
<stuff deleted>

Where did the virus "VIENNA" get his name from?? Does anybody know
the answer?
**************     MM   MMPPPP          Manfred J. Pfluegl
          *****    MM  M MP   P         pfluegl@balboa.eng.uci.edu
           *****   M  M  MPPPP          pfluegl%balboa.eng.uci.edu@ics.uci.edu