[net.lan] Connecting standard Ethernet to Thin-wire Ethernet

lcn@philtis.UUCP (Leo C. Noordhuizen @ Philips CAD Centre) (09/12/86)

I should like to know what experiences people have with the
interconnection between a standard ethernet and thin-wire ethernet,
apart from the rather expensive solution of using a DEMPR from Digital
Equipment.

We are running standard ethernet with about 20 terminal servers, a
micro-vax II running ultrix, and a cluster of 2 11/780's and a 11/785.

We want to hook up PC's (possibly the VAX-mate) to this network.
  Leo C. Noordhuizen	      uucp: {philabs!prlb2,mcvax}!philmds!philtis!lcn
  Philips - Corp. CAD Centre  phone: 31-40-735834
  Building SAQ 2714
  5600 MD  Eindhoven	      The Netherlands

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (09/13/86)

In article <107@philtis.UUCP> lcn@philtis.UUCP writes:
>I should like to know what experiences people have with the
>interconnection between a standard ethernet and thin-wire ethernet,
>apart from the rather expensive solution of using a DEMPR from Digital
>Equipment.

There are two solutions I can think of, depending on how long your
existing Ethernet is. The cheapest is to buy a BNC to N adaptor and
plug the Thin-Wire Ethernet into the normal stuff. Note that you only
get 185 meters of the thin stuff or 500 meters of the thick stuff or
an appropriate combination of the two.

If your existing Ethernet is already pretty long and/or you have some
more money, you could use a repeater between the two coax segments.
There are several thin wire transceivers available or announced.  I
know that TCL and Excelan have such products available. You can also
check with 3Com. DEC has announced a DESTA but I don't believe it is
shipping yet.

Well, I haven't actually done either of these but I think it ought to
work. Let me know if I've overlooked anything.

--
 Rain follows the plow.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com