[comp.virus] Iceland/Saratoga viruses

David.M..Chess.CHESS@YKTVMV (09/12/89)

There seem to be three different viruses in this general family:

   - One is a resident EXE-file infector that infects every tenth
     EXE file executed, and sometimes will mark a free cluster on a
     hard disk as bad (the "damage" routine).  I've seen this one
     called the "Saratoga 1".
   - The second (not that the order I'm listing them in necessarily
     means anything) is just like the first, except that it checks
     the segment of the INT13 vector, and if it's not 0070 or F000,
     it doesn't do anything.   I've seen this called the "Saratoga 2",
     and also the "Icelandic Disk-Crunching virus" (that name is from
     Fridrik Skulason).
   - The third differs from the first in that it bypasses INT21 (by
     means that I suppose I shouldn't mention in public), and doesn't
     have the "mark a cluster bad" code.  It doesn't have the INT13
     check that the second version does.   Fridrik Skulason calls
     this, quite reasonably, the "Icelandic Virus, version 2".

Does this check correctly with everyone?   The Saratoga/Icelandic
nomenclature is a bit confusing, and I want to make sure that
there's general agreement about the facts, if not the names...   DC

RADAI1@HBUNOS.BITNET (Y. Radai) (09/18/89)

  David Chess writes:
>There seem to be three different viruses in this general family:
>
> - One is a resident EXE-file infector that infects every tenth
>   EXE file executed, and sometimes will mark a free cluster on a
>   hard disk as bad (the "damage" routine).  I've seen this one
>   called the "Saratoga 1".
> - The second ... is just like the first, except that it checks
>   the segment of the INT13 vector, and if it's not 0070 or F000,
>   it doesn't do anything.   I've seen this called the "Saratoga 2",
>   and also the "Icelandic Disk-Crunching virus" ....
> - The third differs from the first in that it bypasses INT21 ... and
>   doesn't have the "mark a cluster bad" code.  It doesn't have the
>   INT13 check that the second version does.   Fridrik Skulason calls
>   this, quite reasonably, the "Icelandic Virus, version 2".
>
>Does this check correctly with everyone?  ....

  The facts reported by David are correct, except that the first ver-
sion infects every *second* EXE file executed instead of every tenth
one.

  Btw, though it was originally reported that the Saratoga was disco-
vered "some months earlier" than the first Icelandic virus, it later
turned out that the Saratoga is actually a hack of Icelandic-1.

  Since I recently tried to clarify for myself the same question which
David raises, I can present the following table summarizing the main
differences between the versions:

Version:                  Saratoga       Icelandic-1       Icelandic-2
                          --------       -----------       -----------
File length increase(*):       642               656               632
Infects 1 file out of every      2                10                10
DOS services via interrupts?   Yes               Yes                No
Marks a cluster as bad?        Yes               Yes                No
Checks Int 13h Segment?         No               Yes                No
Signature(**):                PooT       18 44 19 5F       18 44 19 5F
First appearance:          July 89    June (Feb?) 89           July 89

(*)  The total length is rounded up to the next higher multiple of 16,
if necessary.  (This happens with *any* EXE-infecting virus.)
(**) This is the last 4 bytes of the virus (used to determine if a
file is already infected).

  I consider the bypassing of interrupts which Icelandic-2 performs
to be very significant.  I think ARC513.EXE (a hacked version of SEA's
ARC) also did this, but it was a Trojan, not a virus.  Among viruses,
I heard of a strain of the Jerusalem virus which infects by direct
BIOS access instead of by Int 21, though I'm not sure if that strain
ever spread publicly.  At least one version of the Vienna virus (not
the one in Ralf Burger's book) is worthy of mention here since it
overwrites 1 out of 8 files with code containing a far jump to the
BIOS initialization routine.  Have I forgotten any cases?
  The important thing about all this is that although the spreading of
such viruses has been predicted for a long time, the authors of most
monitoring programs, such as FluShot+, have either failed to find a
solution or have ignored these predictions entirely.  As far as I
know, there is only one program so far which can stop such viruses and
Trojans, and that is Fridrik Skulason's F-LOCK.  If anyone knows of
any other such program, I'd like to hear of it.

                                          Y. Radai
                                          Hebrew Univ. of Jerusalem