[comp.virus] disinfecting nVIR from Appletalk

henry@att.att.com (09/21/89)

In article <0001.8909181146.AA03502@ge.sei.cmu.edu> dmg@lid.mitre.org (David Gu
rsky) writes:
>    When you finally get Disinfectant, and de-Binhex it and
> de-Stuffit, make sure the diskette you keep it on is
> write-protected!!!  This is very important; a virus cannot infect
> an application on a write-protected diskette!

This is a good idea, but not entirely necessary with Disinfectant.
Disinfectant is resistant to all currently known viruses and will
refuse to run if it has been changed in any way.  I have run
Disinfectant on a System infected with nVIR A with SAM Intercept
active to let me see when nVIR attempts to infect anything.  Even when
I allow nVIR to access Disinfectant, it cannot infect it!

Another thing to note is that Disinfectant _can_ disinfect the
currently running System.  This means that once you have
Disinfectant, you can put it on a floppy, disinfect the floppy, lock
it and use it to disinfect everything else.

Please note that this method should be used only when you don't have
a clean copy of the System.  In fact Disinfectant should only be
used to disinfect when you have no clean master for a program.

			Henry Schmitt
			Author of Virus Encyclopedia
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)