[comp.virus] Why not change OS?

David.M..Chess.CHESS@YKTVMV (10/02/89)

Hm.   You seem to be assuming, among other things, that:

  - If a virus can't talk directly to the hardware or to files
    belonging to other folks, it can't do any serious harm, and

  - UNIX programs are exchanged only as source, not as binaries.

I'd disagree with both of those claims; the Jerusalem virus, one of
the most widespread and troublesome in the PC world, doesn't talk
directly to the hardware, and doesn't rely on being able to write out
of the user's own space.  I imagine everyone on the list can think of
a number of nasty/destructive/confusing things that a virus could do
even if it only had access to the user's own data files, and couldn't
write direct to hardware (I won't list any here, hehe!).

As UNIX and UNIX-derived systems continue to spread beyond the
programmer community, program exchange among groups using the same
hardware will tend, I would expect, to include more exchange of
binaries.  I wouldn't expect to see a virus that could infect more
than one or two hardware platforms in the near future (cross fingers),
but a virus that could spread to any machine in one of the more
popular UNIX hardware categories would be quite enough to cause
problems for lots of folks!

While I don't know of any UNIX viruses at the moment, I would disagree
with the suggestion that UNIX is inherently virus-resistant enough to
make it worthwhile switching OS's in hopes of being able to forget
about virus protection!  The same applies to any other general-purpose
OS around; viruses *don't* need insecure systems to spread and do Bad
Things.  That's the whole point...

DC
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center

UNIX is a trademark of AT&T (or Bellcore, or someone like that)

peter@uunet.uu.net (10/02/89)

Rather than go through all this trouble to keep viruses out of Macs
and IBM-PCs, why not abandon the unprotected operating systems
wherever possible and switch to UNIX? If you need to run DOS or MacOS
software, there are ways of running it under UNIX in both cases: A/UX
supports Macintosh software, and the various 80386 versions of UNIX
have two DOS emulators that run in the virtual 8086 emulation mode.
With no direct access to the hardware possible, and with multiuser
security preventing writes to files (at least in the 80386 case), the
worst the virus could do would be to infect user-written programs.
When they attempted to format the hard disk, or infect installed
software, they would simply trap and abort the virtual DOS image.
UNIX-based software is extremely unlikely to be infected, since a UNIX
virus would have to infect source code to transfer out of a machine.

To defuse arguments about the Internet Worm, let us note that this
program was restricted to two brands of computer: VAXes and
68000-based Suns. And it infected a network that was deliberately
designed to be insecure. No, UNIX is not immune to trojan horses and
viruses, but by and large this sort of program is kept uninfectious
and benign by the nature of the system.

[Ed. I hope that you're wearing asbestos skivvies... :-) ]

time@oxtrap.aa.ox.com (Tim Endres) (10/05/89)

Better than changing OS to get better virus "resistance", why not
encourage the systems designers at Apple and IBM to implement
protection in their respective operating systems?

An entire document dedicated to stopping virus acitivity at the OS
level was mailed to John Sculley at Apple. Yet, to this day, even with
an entire new OS release, not one of the suggestions given has been
implemented! I am sure that there are many complex issues facing a
company such as Apple, with regards to this problem, and changes at
the OS level to deal with viruses will, and probably should, be slow.

Further, I must give Apple credit for the action they did take when
Macintosh viruses first surfaced. In some cases, they sent their own
engineers to infected sites for investigation and assistance. They
were the first to engage in "Virus Awareness" campaigns.
Unfortunately, we have seen no work at the OS level.

What users should be doing, is overtly pressuring computer
manufacturers to address this need at the OS level, and start buying
equipment from vendors who move in that direction.

peter@uunet.uu.net (10/06/89)

time@oxtrap.aa.ox.com (Tim Endres) writes:
> Better than changing OS to get better virus "resistance", why not
> encourage the systems designers at Apple and IBM to implement
> protection in their respective operating systems?

I don't know about the Mac... its system software is a lot cleaner
than Messy-DOS, albeit rather unconventional. But this is pretty
much impossible with MS-DOS. I suspect you would have to write a
complete new operating system with an MS-DOS emulator. The reason for
this is that the original MS-DOS was so incompetant (for example,
the serial driver code never worked right for anything better than
dumping to a printer, and it's never been fixed) that any decent
program was forced to go direct to the hardware. And of course if
you're going to go to a new O/S, why not use an off-the-shelf one
that's already achieved wide acceptance?

I once sat down and tried to write a terminal emulator that was
entirely well-behaved.  I was able to keep up with 1200 baud using the
XT bios to put stuff on the screen, by heavy use of curses-style
heuristics, but I broke down and went straight to the serial port.

Of course, OS/2 is supposed to fix all this. For some bizzarre reason,
though, it's still got no security features.

Anyway, the reason Apple and IBM aren't doing anything is because
there's no great call from the user community to do anything, and
nobody's willing to consider a better alternative if it means risking
their cherished soft- ware investment. Which is only reasonable, but
there's no reason new installations can't be based on something like
UNIX.

- ---
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International
Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Fun:peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.
`-_-' ``I feel that any [environment] with users in it is "adverse".''