[comp.virus] UNIX virus proof?!

peter@uunet.uu.net (10/04/89)

I wouldn't say UNIX is virus-proof (I posted a hoax article about a
UNIX virus over a year ago, just before the Internet Worm incident),
but it's sure a hell of a lot more virus-resistant than DOS.

jmc@PacBell.COM (Jerry Carlin) (10/06/89)

ficc!peter@uunet.uu.net writes:
>I wouldn't say UNIX is virus-proof (I posted a hoax article about a
>UNIX virus over a year ago, just before the Internet Worm incident),
>but it's sure a hell of a lot more virus-resistant than DOS.

See "Experience with Viruses on UNIX Systems" by Tom Duff in Computing
Systems, Vol 2 No 2, Sprint 89 pp: 155-181. He discusses building a true
UNIX virus and the consequences thereof.

- --
Jerry Carlin (415) 823-2441 {bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!jmc
To dream the impossible dream. To fight the unbeatable foe.