[net.followup] US-USSR talks

steven@mcvax.UUCP (Steven Pemberton) (09/13/84)

> Lately it seems as though the Reagan administration have changed their
> (official) manner of speech and the forthcoming talks between mr Reagan and
> mr Gromyko cannot be anything but welcomed.

I agree that the talks must be welcomed. Funny that the Reagan
administration's manner has changed like this, just when elections are
coming up.

Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam; steven@mcvax

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (09/21/84)

> > Lately it seems as though the Reagan administration have changed their
> > (official) manner of speech and the forthcoming talks between mr Reagan and
> > mr Gromyko cannot be anything but welcomed.
>
> I agree that the talks must be welcomed. Funny that the Reagan
> administration's manner has changed like this, just when elections are
> coming up.
>
> Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam; steven@mcvax

However, besides serving Reagan's political purposes in the upcoming
election, the talks are not epic-breaking--the surprise is not that
Reagan is finally meeting the Soviet Foreign Minister but that he has
not done so until just before the election.  It has been a regular
practice of past Presidents to meet with the Soviet Foreign Minister
before the UN sessions.  Reagan has also made absolutely no offers
to reciprocate the Soviets moratorium on space-weapons testing, or
to make any new offers of arms control.  Nor has he suggested sending
any of the 5 arms control treaties already negotiated to the Senate
for ratification.  Nor has he brought any charges that the Soviets are
violating past agreements to the Standing Consultative Committee--instead
his administration is about to issue another report accusing the Soviets
of violating arms agreements without doing anything about such violations,
if they have, in fact, occurred. I think we can tell therefore the
basic nature of Reagan's approach to arms control, as usual-none.
Tim Sevener
Bell Labs, Whippany
whuxl!orb

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (09/25/84)

Violations of treaties will be made public 2 days after gromyko leaves
NY.  There are some violations that proof will not be offered for, as giving the proof would reveal the extent of US intelligence
capabilities.  Those people who need to know have security
clearances, and do know...  As for Reagan not cooperating on the
Soviet proposal for an ASAT moritorium, thank goodness!!
Its about time somebody in the White House realized that all
arms control agreements aren't good.  The Soviets already have
an operational and well tested and deployed system online
TODAY.  No wonder they want a  freeze.  As for Reagan being
opposed to all arms control, I dont believe that, though I
would welcome such a position for reasons that I have mentioned
before on the net...

					Milo

robertsb@ttidcb.UUCP (Robin Roberts) (09/25/84)

It is not so "funny" that the Reagan administration is willing to talk to
the Soviets because if you dump the Mondale propaganda you'll remember that
it has been the Soviets who have bailed out of negotiations and/or placed
preconditions. It seems the Soviets don't like it when we think for ourselves.
Of course the fact that Reagan hasn't yet had a healthy counterpart is equally
ignored in the Mondale crap.

Walter Mondale would be eaten alive by the lowest ranking Soviet negotiator.

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (10/01/84)

> [robertsb@ttidcb.UUCP (Robin Roberts)]
> Of course the fact that Reagan hasn't yet had a healthy counterpart is equally
> ignored in the Mondale crap.

Why is this important?  Do you think Reagan wants to try pugilism as a
negotiating technique?

plunkett@rlgvax.UUCP (S. Plunkett) (10/02/84)

> > [robertsb@ttidcb.UUCP (Robin Roberts)]
> > Of course the fact that Reagan hasn't yet had a healthy counterpart is equally
> > ignored in the Mondale crap.
>
> Why is this important?  Do you think Reagan wants to try pugilism as a
> negotiating technique?

So who's he going to talk to?  The Kremlin Janitorial Staff?

The only constant throughout has been good old A. Gromyko, but then
even he has been out of favor since KAL 007.  How soon we forget.

Scott Plunkett,
..{ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!rlgvax!plunkett

P.S.: A swift Polish-upper-cut to the Foreign Minister's aged jaw
would speak volumes.  Not a bad idea.

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (10/02/84)

> It is not so "funny" that the Reagan administration is willing to talk to
> the Soviets because if you dump the Mondale propaganda you'll remember that
> it has been the Soviets who have bailed out of negotiations and/or placed
> preconditions. It seems the Soviets don't like it when we think for ourselves.

Let us consider what Reagan has done to encourage arms control:
1)Never supported a single arms treaty negotiated by any of his
  predecessors
2)Announced that he will break SALT II in 1985
3)initiated a program for wars in space (Star Wars) that will openly violate
  one of the major treaties still in force, namely the ABM treaty
4)made a proposal at the START talks which would lead to the Soviets
  reducing their arms by twice the amount ours would be reduced.
  Moreover, rather than "reducing" the level of nuclear arms, his proposal
  would reduce Soviet forces while allowing the US to go full speed ahead
  with cruise missile technology and lead to an increase of 1500 warheads
  in a few years.  His proposal also did NOT include the MX missile,
  or B1 bombers--ostensibly "bargaining chips" but never offered by Reagan
  in any bargain to date
5)allowed 5 treaties to languish without approval--despite the requests of
  the Republican controlled Senate to submit 2 of these treaties for
  ratification.
6)again and again publicly accused the Soviets of "lying and cheating" on
  past arms agreements- yet never taken a single charge before the
  Standing Consultative Committee used by past Presidents Nixon, Ford
  and Carter to resolve and STOP past suspected Soviet treaty violations.
After all these efforts we now find ourselves facing 2500 more Soviet nuclear
warheads than when Reagan came to office.
I am not about to excuse Soviet intransigence anymore than I will excuse
Reagan intransigence.  But all past Presidents have been able to accomplish
some sort of arms control--Reagan is the only President in the past 20 years
who has not.
Reagan has failed to acknowledge Soviet initiatives for arms control that
the Soviets have taken.  For over a year they had a unilateral moratorium
on the deployment of SS-20's in Europe--but Reagan's failure to offer any
reasonable negotiating position before cruise missile deployment led to
renewed SS-20 deployments.  The Soviets have also had a unilateral moratorium
on the testing and deployment of space weapons.  Again, Reagan has never
responded to this initiative.
Reagan's plans to break currently observed treaties is the worst of all-
why should anyone trust us?
Tim Sevener
whuxl!orb

lkk@mit-eddie.UUCP (Larry Kolodney) (10/03/84)

From Scott Plunkett:
"The only constant throughout has been good old A. Gromyko, but then even he
has been out of favor since KAL 007.  How soon we forget."

Please cite references to indicate that Gromyko is out of favor.  From all
indications he and Ustinov (the defense minister) ARE the leadership, with
the ailing Chernenko a dottering front man.  (Sounds alot like the relationship
between Meese et al and Reagan).

--
larry kolodney (The Devil's Advocate)

UUCP: ...{ihnp4, decvax!genrad}!mit-eddie!lkk

ARPA: lkk@mit-mc

lkk@mit-eddie.UUCP (10/03/84)

Date: Wed, 3-Oct-84 13:16:25 EDT

.UUCP>

>From Scott Plunkett:
"The only constant throughout has been good old A. Gromyko, but then even he
has been out of favor since KAL 007.  How soon we forget."

Please cite references to indicate that Gromyko is out of favor.  From all
indications he and Ustinov (the defense minister) ARE the leadership, with
the ailing Chernenko a dottering front man.  (Sounds alot like the relationship
between Meese et al and Reagan).

--
larry kolodney (The Devil's Advocate)

UUCP: ...{ihnp4, decvax!genrad}!mit-eddie!lkk

ARPA: lkk@mit-mc

plunkett@rlgvax.UUCP (S. Plunkett) (10/05/84)

T. Sevener (whuxl!orb) writes of the "intransigence" of Mr. Reagan,
and although claims not to excuse unspecified Soviet intransigence
nevertheless tells us:

- The Soviets stopped deploying SS-20s in Europe for "over a year";
	[what page of Isvestia did you read that on?]
- The Soviets were apparently obliged to continue deployment when
Mr. Reagan failed to "offer any reasonable negotiating position"
prior to U.S. Cruise Missile deployment;
	[probably the Style Section]
- The Soviets have ceased testing and deploying "space weapons",
with an implication that they are humbly awaiting Mr. Reagan's
response to this "initiative";
	[waiting for the disinformation to seep into the wood work]
- "Reagan's plans to break currently observed treaties is the worst of all-";
	[meaning they are reading the agreements as close to the bone as
	the Soviets always do]
- "Reagan has failed to acknowledge Soviet initiatives for arms control";
	[walking out of a negotiating conference is an "initiative"?]

As for the accurate statements made, viz:

- "Announcing" the break with (unratified) SALT 2;
- Initiating a Strategic Defense (so-called "Star Wars");
- Allowing "5 treaties" (only that many?) to "languish";
- Publicly "accusing" the Soviets of lying and cheating...

These eminently sensible policy decisions are--it is hard to believe--
apparently considered abhorent, despicable, and probably worse.

Now, such favortism for the Soviets is probably much appreciated by
them.  However, such communist advocacy does not advance the debate
in the U.S. concerning the most effective means of meeting the
Soviet threat.

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (10/10/84)

> Why is this important?  Do you think Reagan wants to try pugilism as a
> negotiating technique?

Ronald Reagan after getting whipped in the first debate:
"I challenge Walter Mondale to an arm-wrestling contest"

rs55611@ihuxk.UUCP (Robert E. Schleicher) (10/11/84)

Reagan's challenge to "armwrestle" was reported out-of-context by
many TV broadcasts.  As I understand it, Regan offerred to armwrestle
TIP O'NEILL, not Mondale, after being informed of O'Neil's comments on
Reagan's age.  The TV clip just shows Reagan saying "I'll armwrestle HIM".

(A Reagan/O'Neil armwrestle?  Tip's only two years younger, and in worse
shape, I'd think!)

Bob Schleicher
ihuxk!rs55611