[comp.virus] INIT 29 vs. locked disk

XRJDM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Joe McMahon) (10/25/89)

"Thomas R. Blake" <TBLAKE%BINGVAXA.BITNET@VMA.CC.CMU.EDU> writes:
>>(Prior to INIT29,  I had been advising my users that if they go
>>to Kinko's they would be safe if they took only their data diskette.
>>But if a data infection  can spread to their application disks,
>>this would not be good advice.)
>>
>>Anyone got the REAL answer?
>
>Well, I assume they're going to Kinko's to print.  (Yes/No?)  I'd say
>if they write-protect their diskettes they have no need to worry.
>
>Macintosh viruses will not spread to write-protected diskettes.

The problem with INIT 29, though, is that inserting a locked disk into
the drive will get the "This disk needs minor repairs..." dialog. If
they don't unlock it the disk will be rejected. If they do, it will be
infected. Cute, huh?

Best option is to COPY the files to another floppy, take it, use it,
bring it home, and INITIALIZE IT IMMEDIATELY.

  --- Joe M.