[comp.virus] Operating System virus protection

jlg%lambda@LANL.GOV, (Jim Giles) (10/10/89)

ficc!peter@uunet.uu.net writes:
>I wouldn't say UNIX is virus-proof (I posted a hoax article about a
>UNIX virus over a year ago, just before the Internet Worm incident),
>but it's sure a hell of a lot more virus-resistant than DOS.

How do you know?  The only machines DOS runs on are PCs and compatibles.
UNIX implemented on these machines would be just as vulnerable as DOS.
The most obvious weaknesses of DOS are unimportant compared to the fact
that the hardware itself has no protection mechanisms.

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (10/27/89)

|  How do you know?  The only machines DOS runs on are PCs and compatibles.
|  UNIX implemented on these machines would be just as vulnerable as DOS.
|  The most obvious weaknesses of DOS are unimportant compared to the fact
|  that the hardware itself has no protection mechanisms.

  True, but only of the 8088 (original XT) machines. The AT and 386
machines run UNIX in protected mode, and have as much hardware
protection as a VAX.
- ---
that the world is flat!" - anon