[comp.virus] 2608- possible virus?

n8735053@unicorn.wwu.edu (Iain Davidson) (10/29/89)

In article <0007.8910261143.AA02119@ge.sei.cmu.edu> okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay S
 J) writes:
>I received this from Amiga-relay this morning....From all reports, it
>appears that Xeno, if it is a virus, is the 1st non-boot infector virus
>in the Amiga community. All the others I've seen so far live in the boot
>sector and most Amiga anti-virals seem to only worry about the boot sector
>and in RAM at the time.
>I'll cross-post anything I hear from either side to their respective
>lists.
>
>Stephen Okay    Technical Aide, The MITRE Corporation
>x6737        OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG/m20836@mwvm.mitre.org

[Text deleted]

Well, while up in Vancouver, BC at an Amiga Users Group meeting, a interesting
  thing was demostrated.....

I call it the "2608" virus. (don't know the offical name).

It worked like the IRQ virus attaching itself to the first executable in
  the startup-sequence.  But with a slight twist.  It would copy the
  found executable to devs:"    " and copy itself into the old name in
  the "C" directory (size 2608 bytes).

The way that it was noticed was that the person had typed "echo blah blah"
  in his startup-sequence, but in "C" directory he had "echo" called
  "Echo" .  One day he had noticed that the command was in all lowercase
  and 2608 bytes long (not the usual 653? bytes long).  He also noticed
  that he had a extra file "   " in the devs: directory the same size
  as the echo command.

Evidently, the virus copyed itself to the command location, then
  copied the command to the devs: directory.  Everytime the command
  was executed it would call the virus-program which in turn would call
  the REAL command. Appearing as though all worked fine.

Another interesting thing....  about every 5 times he warm-boot, a
  message would come up saying something like "Virus Exterminator.. blah
  blah.... Virus by Blah Blah (i don't remember the specifics)" this
  only appeared for a brief second ... not long enough to read the whole
  thing.

Anybody else have any info on this ?

- -Iain Davidson
IAIN@wwu.edu