[net.lan] Question on kermit between MS-DOS and UNIX 4.1bsd

rfpcs@mergvax.UUCP (Rich Filandro) (10/28/86)

I am running MS-DOS Ver 3.0 on a PC-AT and UNIX on a VAX 11/780 running 4.1bsd.
We have several PC's hooked to the vax as tty's and have the need to use
kermit to do file transfers starting on the vax and directed toward the PC
located on some /dev/tty##. I'm not sure how to initiate kermit on the two
machines so as to allow the VAX to control everything. The hope is to use a
shell script to invoke the kermit's and do random file transfers. All help
greatly appreciated and I will post the response to the net.
Thanx

turek@brl-tbd.ARPA (C. A. Turek ) (10/30/86)

In article <114@mergvax.UUCP> rfpcs@mergvax.UUCP (Rich Filandro) writes:
>I am running MS-DOS Ver 3.0 on a PC-AT and UNIX on a VAX 11/780 running 4.1bsd.
>We have several PC's hooked to the vax as tty's and have the need to use
>kermit to do file transfers starting on the vax and directed toward the PC
>located on some /dev/tty##. I'm not sure how to initiate kermit on the two
>machines so as to allow the VAX to control everything. The hope is to use a
>shell script to invoke the kermit's and do random file transfers. All help
>greatly appreciated and I will post the response to the net.
>Thanx

  This is the Help file that resides on the BRL-TBD Vax. Your request
finally gave me a reason to update it.:-) Hope you and others find it
useful.

					Chris...

ARPA:chris@brl
DISCLAIMERS: Life's a bitch...then you die!

 KERMIT Micro - VAX Transfer

   FILE TRANSFER   First, get KERMIT running on your micro in the
terminal mode.  See your own version's documentation for this step.
Logon to the Vax and get to the directory which contains the file(s) you
wish to download from or upload to.

># The latest version of Kermit-MS will allow remote directory changes when
># using the 'server' mode on the VAX/UNIX system.

    The following are the instructions relating to MS-Kermit V2.28 which
is the latest version for use under MS-Dos and PC-Dos.

 DOWN-LOADING  Vax--> Micro

  Getting files from the Vax TO your micro is very simple.  At the Unix
prompt just type `kermit -x'and a carriage return.  You may send multiple
files by using `wildcards' e.g. ` * ' means all files ( see Unix manual,
or your DOS manual for proper usage of wildcards ).

># The Kermit version in use on our systems is
># C-Kermit 4C(057) 31 JUL 85, 4.2BSD (BRL)
># Using the server mode on the VAX lets the C-Kermit figure
># out the device and speed to use.

   You will then see some strange characters on the screen.  This is the
remote (Vax) KERMIT trying to communicate with the local ( your )
KERMIT.  At this point you press the Control key plus the escape
character, usually ` ] ', then ` c ' to get to the local command mode.
You should now see the local KERMIT prompt, type ` get filename '  and a
carriage return to begin the transfer.

># Using 'get <CR>' will prompt for the remote filename and then the
># local filename before starting the xfer.

When the transfer is complete the local KERMIT prompt will appear, type
`fin' and a carriage return. Then type `c' to return to the terminal mode.
You are now back in the Unix system.  If your prompt is not visible type
a carriage return.

  This is what your screen should look like during this process:

$ kermit -x

C-Kermit server starting.  Return to your local machine by typing
its escape sequence for closing the connection, and issue further
commands from there.  To shut down the C-Kermit server, issue the
FINISH or BYE command and then reconnect.

# N3

Kermit-MS>get filename

  The screen will now clear and you will get the file progress screen:

                 File name: mystuff.foo
        KBytes transferred: 0

                 Recieving: filename

         Number of packets: 0
         Number of retries: 0
                Last error: None
              Last warning: None

  When the file(s) are received:

Kermit-MS>fin
Kermit-MS>c

  The screen will now switch back to it's state at the time you started the
transfer.  Once again, if your prompt is not visible type a carriage return.
You are now reconnected to the remote system.

  UP-LOADING Micro--->Vax

  This is not as complicated as it sounds! Be sure you are in the directory to
which you wish to upload your files.  This is not absolutely necessary, but
will save you the trouble of moving things around later.

  At this point you are ready to start running the KERMIT to recieve
your files.  Type `kermit -x'and a carriage return.  Next you will get
some messages telling you that KERMIT is starting a server.  Change to
the command mode of the local (your) KERMIT just as you did to recieve
files.   Press the Control key plus the escape character, usually ` ] ',
then ` c ' to get to the local command mode.

  You should now see the local KERMIT prompt, type ` send mystuff.foo '
and a carriage return to begin the transfer.  When the transfer is
complete the local KERMIT prompt will appear, type `fin' and a carriage
return. Then type `c'and a carriage return to return to the terminal
mode. You are now back in the Unix system.  If your prompt is not
visible type a carriage return.

  This is what your screen should look like during this process:

$ kermit -x

Kermit-MS>send mystuff.foo

  The screen will now clear and you will get the file progress screen:

                 File name: mystuff.foo
        KBytes transferred: 0

                   Sending: mystuff.foo

         Number of packets: 0
         Number of retries: 0
                Last error: None
              Last warning: None

  When the file(s) are sent:

Kermit-MS>fin
Kermit-MS>c

  The screen will now switch back to it's state at the time you started the
transfer.  Once again, if your prompt is not visible type a carriage return.
You are now reconnected to the remote system.

  SPECIAL CASES

  To upload files which contain non-ASCII characters such as WordStar
documents, other word processor formated files, Lotus worksheets or
binary files, a slightly different command is used to upload files.
Use `-xi' when you start the KERMIT on the remote system. This will
preserve the special characters used to format word processor files
so that they can then be down-loaded by others and still maintain their
integrity and proper format. Binary files are "memory pictures" which
contain many non-ASCII and must also use this type of transfer.