[comp.virus] DIR EXEC

AGUTOWS@WAYNEST1.BITNET (Arthur Gutowski) (11/28/89)

In Virus-L, v2i248, the following warning was posted:

>>Date:         Sat, 25 Nov 89 19:15:31 EDT
>>Sender:       Revised LISTSERV forum <LSTSRV-L@RUTVM1>
>>From:         "Juan M. Courcoul" <POSTMAST@TECMTYVM.BITNET>
>>Subject:      IMPORTANT WARNING: CHRISTMA workalike on the loose on the links
..
>>A dangerous REXX exec named DIR EXEC has been detected on our node, thanks
>>to a watchful recipient. This exec purports to be able produce a directory
>>listing of the user's disks in a MS/DOS (PC) format.
>>
>>However, when the exec is run, it will produce the promised listing BUT it
>>will also send a copy of itself to all net addresses found in the user's
>>NAMES and NETLOG files.

From the cross-posting I got from IBM-MAIN@AKRONVM (IBM Mainframe
List), this EXEC also contains a timebomb: if the EXEC is run in 1990,
it will erase all A0 and A1 files from your account's A-disk.

I don't know if this thing has spread as fast as the warnings have,
but it may be worth the added info.

 Arthur J. Gutowski
 Antiviral Group / Tech Support / WSU University Computing Center
 5925 Woodward; Detroit MI  48202; PH#: (313) 577-0718
 Bitnet: AGUTOWS@WAYNEST1   Internet: AGUTOWS@WAYNEST1.BITNET
 Disclaimer:  If VM is Virtual Machine, then I'm not really logged on,
              hence, I cannot have sent this message.