[comp.virus] 1st Aid Software vs. WDEF

warthman@softvax.radc.af.mil (WARTHMAN) (12/22/89)

In VIRUS-L Digest V2 #261, John Norstad writes:

> Unfortunately, when the WDEF virus first appeared, none of the
> current versions of the most popular virus prevention tools were
> able to detect or prevent WDEF infections. This includes Vaccine
> 1.0.1, GateKeeper 1.1.1, Symantec's SAM Intercept 1.10, and HJC's
> Virex INIT 1.12.

Although it may not be one of "the most popular virus prevention
tools", I wish to point out that the Anti Virus Kit published by 1st
Aid Software was able to detect the WDEF virus without modification to
the software or to a resource list. The VirusGuard component of the
package is a cdev which, like SAM Intercept, puts up an alert any time
a suspicious activity is atempted. Unlike SAM Intercept and the other
virus prevention tools, VirusGuard was not fooled by WDEF's attempt to
bypass the protection.  This is an important characteristic of the new
virus. WDEF appears to be a new generation of virus which not only
tries to hide from humans but also goes to some length to hide from
anti virus software. The war is escalating...

I beleive that 1St Aid Software in general, and Bob Reese in
particular, deserve some recognition for being the _only_ tool to
successfully handle WDEF. In fact, if this package was more widely
used perhaps WDEF would have been caught sooner and would have spread
far less than it appears to have...

1St Aid Software can be contacted at (617)783-7118. Bob Reese can be
reached via:
   Compuserve 71141,3061
      Applelink D3791

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the company or the products,
aside from being a satisfied user.

                           -- Jim Warthman