[comp.virus] DES Availability

XRAYSROK@SBCCVM.BITNET (Steven C Woronick) (12/20/89)

IA96000 <IA96@PACE> (name unknown, employee of "SWE"?) writes:

>SWE first suspected and tested for the public key encryption method
>for several reasons. The major reason was the lack of access people
>outside of the United States would have to the DES encryption formula.
>
>For those not aware, the U.S. Government guards the DES formula, and
>software which makes use of this formula may not be exported out of
>the United States. Should it turn out that the DES formula was also
>used, the authors of the AIDS "trojan", could possibly be prosecuted
>under United States statutes pertaining to national security.

   Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DES or DES-like
encryption algorithms readily available?  For example, the book
"Numerical Recipes, The Art of Scientific Computing," by W.H. Press,
B.P. Flannery, S.A.  Teukolsky, and W.T. Vetterling, published by
Cambridge University Press, (c)1986, p. 214-220 gives an algorithm for
DES (two and one half pages of highly-inefficient FORTRAN-like code).
Admittedly, the authors state that their program is not genuinely DES
(since the standard itself explicitly states that any implementation
in software is not secure and therefore not DES), but it does in
software the same thing real DES hardware would do, so it is for all
practical purposes DES.  (Also, how does the claim that software
versions of DES are technically not DES affect legal issues raised by
IA96000@PACE about exporting DES?).  Also, in my opinion, there is
nothing special about DES except that it is a kind of "standard"
algorithm (i.e. I think one can easily imagine other
equally-difficult- to-decrypt algorithms).

Steven C. Woronick     | Disclaimer:  These are my own opinions.
Physics Dept.          |     Always check it out for yourself...
SUNY at Stony Brook    |
Stony Brook, NY  11794 |
Acknowledge-To: <XRAYSROK@SBCCVM>

kiravuo@kampi.hut.fi (Timo Kiravuo) (12/24/89)

>>For those not aware, the U.S. Government guards the DES formula,

>   Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DES or DES-like
>encryption algorithms readily available?

As far as I understand, the DES formula is public, but exporting
impelemntations is prohibited in the USA. However there is
nothing preventing one to make a DES implementation outside the
USA and distributing it. Here in Helsinki University of
Technology Antti Louko has written one, it is available by
anonymous ftp from kampi.hut.fi (130.233.224.2), file is
alo/des-dist.tar.Z.

It was also posted to USENET comp.sources.??? group a while ago,
the posting was dove via a moderator in Australia, since
importing DES to the is legal by the US law. (Please note that
whatever the US government has to say about DES does not apply to
us outside the US territory, the most USA can do is to contact
our government or send a spy killer or invade Finland like they
did invade Panama.)

As to what this has to do with viruses, I don't know, but I think
that a public DES implementation might be interesting enough to
many people in the virus field, so maybe the moderator will be
nice and let this pass.
- --
Timo Kiravuo
Helsinki University of Technology, Computing Center
work: 90-451 4328, home: 90-676 076
kiravuo@hut.fi  sorvi::kiravuo  kiravuo%hut.fi@uunet.uu.net