[comp.virus] WDEF / Apology to Mainstay Software

jln@acns.nwu.edu (12/23/89)

I have a major public apology to make to 1st Aid Software.  I just
learned that their product Anti-Virus Kit is effective against the new
WDEF virus, and I have been saying that "none of the popular virus
prevention tools were effective against WDEF."  This was obviously a
gross error on my part.  My only excuse is that I don't have a copy of
Anti-Virus Kit that I can use for testing.  This is not a good excuse
- - I shouldn't have made the statement if I couldn't back it up.

1st Aid Software deserves a great deal of credit for having the only
virus prevention tool that was capable of catching WDEF.  Everybody
else failed, including Symantec's SAM, HJC's Virex, Gatekeeper, and
Vaccine.  I don't know about MainStay's AntiToxin - I don't have a
copy of that either (yet).

In the future I'll try very hard not to make claims that I can't back
up with solid evidence.

John Norstad         Northwestern University       jln@acns.nwu.edu

LUBKT@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (12/23/89)

jln@acns.nwu.edu writes:

> 1st Aid Software deserves a great deal of credit for having the only
> virus prevention tool that was capable of catching WDEF.  Everybody
> else failed, including Symantec's SAM, HJC's Virex, Gatekeeper, and
> Vaccine.  I don't know about MainStay's AntiToxin - I don't have a
> copy of that either (yet).

Disinfectant 1.5 can also catch/remove WDEF virus.

 Binod Taterway, User Consultant, Lehigh University Computing Center
 Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA 18015.         Tel: (215) 758-3984
 E-mail: LUBKT@vax1.cc.lehigh.EDU (Internet),     BT00@lehigh.BITNET

trebor@uunet.uu.net (Robert J Woodhead) (01/03/90)

jln@acns.nwu.edu writes:

> 1st Aid Software deserves a great deal of credit for having the only
> virus prevention tool that was capable of catching WDEF.  Everybody
> else failed, including Symantec's SAM, HJC's Virex, Gatekeeper, and
> Vaccine.  I don't know about MainStay's AntiToxin - I don't have a
> copy of that either (yet).

Not _quite_ true, John.  The VIREX "Record/Scan" operation has been
scanning for WDEFs et all since it was added.  The problem is that it
takes longer than a normal scan, so most VIREX users don't bother with
it.  A Pity.  It and the 1st Aid tool are really good at pointing out
wierdnesses.

- --
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.   !uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP
Announcing TEMPORAL EXPRESS.  For only $999,999.95 (per page), your message
will be carefully stored, then sent back in time as soon as technologically
possible.  TEMEX - when it absolutely, postively has to be there yesterday!