[comp.virus] Virus Trends

dmg@retina.mitre.org (David Gursky) (12/22/89)

I wish to take issue with Gene Spafford's Theorem 4:

"Theorem #4) Within the next few years, there will be at least one
major problem where some purported anti-viral/security software will
be made available, and it will contain a logic bomb or trojan horse in
it that causes more damage than what it is supposed to fix.  (Minor
thesis: the likely author of such software will be someone marketing
commercial security software, and the logic bomb version will be a
public-domain package not traceable to the author.  The purpose -- to
discredit public domain anti-virus software.)"

This assumes the unavailability of high-quality PD/Shareware/Freeware
anti-electronic vandalism software, or rather, that at a certain
point in time, such software will not be available (i.e. the existing
software will be outmoded, as say Interferon is).  It also assumes the
author is able to completely cover his or her steps, as Spaf does
correctly point out, but I would counter that this is harder than it
seems.

Consider the current situation.  Of the PD/SW/FW tools in use today
(FluShot Plus, Gatekeeper, Disinfectant, et. al.), their authors are
well known, and it is well known when they release new copies of their
software.  Any Trojan Horse masquerading as a tool against electronic
vandalism would therefore have to be as good as these tools, and would
probably have to be much better.  Otherwise, people will simply keep
using what they are using (look at how many people still use
Interferon!)  If people are not going to easily switch from one
PD/SW/FW to another, there is an inherited limiting factor on the
"effectiveness" of a Trojan Horse implanted in anti-electronic
vandalism tools.

Furthermore, the code hiding the logic bomb will have to persist in a
large number of unknown user configurations.  Look at the new WDEF
virus on the Mac.  It is simply incompatible with the new Mac IIci,
and it doesn't like the IIcx or any Mac with 8M of RAM that much
either.

I would worry much more about the following:

"Theroem 6": As the trend towards open systems continues, where a
given programming environment can exist over several platforms
(Examples: Smalltalk/V under the Mac OS and Presentation Manager,
X-Windows, etc), instances of machine dependant vandalism will
decrease, and environment dependant vandalism (example: The Dukakis
Hypercard Virus) will increase.  The power of the specific machine's
operating system will be easier to access through these programming
environments, opening up these systems to a larger number of people,
and consequently to a larger number of vandals.

Nagle@cup.portal.com (12/26/89)

     Back in the 1970s, when I was working on secure operating systems,
I never dreamed that the day would come when there would be twenty five
million computers in the world running without memory protection.

     And it's going to get worse.  New and interesting programmatic objects
are coming into being.  Attacks need not be through object programs.
Already, there have been attacks via mail, and via text files editable by
GNU EMACS.  But this is just the beginning.

     - PostScript is a programming language.  Trojan horses could be
       embedded in PostScript files.  While attacking a printer isn't
       all that productive, Display PostScript offers more tempting
       targets.

     - A FAX message is a bitstream interpreted by an interpreter at
       the receving end.  Could it be induced to do something interesting
       through the use of illegal bit patterns?  Group III is probably too
       simple to be attacked, but group IV?  Imagine a message which
       causes a FAX machine to send an extra copy of transmitted documents
       to another location.

     - Network transmittable C++ objects are being developed.  Security
       doesn't seem to be mentioned.  This has promise.

     - Multi-media electronic mail offers new avenues of attack.

The basic problem is that the transmission of programmatic objects is
on the increase, and anything interpreted at the receiving end is
potentially a means of attack.  I predict that this will grow to a
moderately serious problem in the 1990s.

					John Nagle

dmg@retina.mitre.org (David Gursky) (12/26/89)

> To: dmg@retina.mitre.org
> Date: Fri, 22 Dec 89 19:13:24 -0500
> From: denbeste@BBN.COM
>
> One of the best-known and best researched anti-viral programs for the Amiga
> is VirusX by Steve Tibbetts. A few months ago a new version of this program
> began appearing which was really a trojan. It got rather wide distribution
> before anyone noticed that Tibbetts hadn't really written it. Since that
> time, Tibbetts no longer publishes his source code when he releases a new
> version.
>
> In other words: The prediction you didn't like was really true; it already
> came about!

Oops!  Minor omission on my part.  I neglected to include in my
comment about the authors being well known that they should be easily
and widely reachable!

There is also the underlying presumption in my message that a new
release is confirmed from the author before publication of the
application

ches@research.att.com (01/03/90)

> 2. The press speculation about the DATACRIME virus was much more
> damaging than the virus.

I don't think so.  True, the general public was alarmed out of proportion
to the threat.  But I suspect the press coverage encouraged a lot of people
to back up machines that hadn't been backed up.  This is good because

> 1. The amount of damage to data and availability done by viruses to date
> has been less than users do to themselves by error every day.

is undoubtedly true, and those crashed hard disks have to be reloaded from
someplace.

Bill Cheswick
ches@research.att.com

34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (W. K. (Bill) Gorman) (01/03/90)

>> 2. The press speculation about the DATACRIME virus was much more
>> damaging than the virus.
>
>I don't think so.

I wonder how much such media slobbering tended to encourage subsequent
atrocities, such as the AIDS diskette? Quite a bit, I suspect.

ras@rayssdb.ssd.ray.com (Ralph A. Shaw) (01/05/90)

Nagle@cup.portal.com says:

>     - A FAX message is a bitstream interpreted by an interpreter at
>       the receving end.  Could it be induced to do something interesting
>       through the use of illegal bit patterns?  Group III is probably too
>       simple to be attacked, but group IV?  Imagine a message which
>       causes a FAX machine to send an extra copy of transmitted documents
>       to another location.

Something that has come to the attention of security paranoids here
lately is that some manufacturers of PC FAX boards have added a
feature that allows the FAX modem to be used as a bisync modem to
communicate with the PC directly, rather than transmitting just FAXes.

I assume the PC would have to be running some software to enable it
and reassign the console (requiring local intervention), but a
networked PC could then prove to be a leak onto the corporate network,
(or at least, for handy distribution of the Trojan-of-the-month program).
Added to this is the promise that at least one FAXboard vendor
promises that both async and bisync modem capability will be available
in the future.

I don't have the details of which boards provide this "feature",
or of what functionality is really there via this inboard modem
and accompanying software, but will pass on any other details I can
ferret out.
- --
Ralph Shaw			ras@rayssd.ray.com

kelly@uts.amdahl.com (Kelly Goen) (01/06/90)

ras@rayssdb.ssd.ray.com (Ralph A. Shaw) writes:
>Nagle@cup.portal.com says:
>
>>     - A FAX message is a bitstream interpreted by an interpreter at
>>       the receving end.  Could it be induced to do something interesting
>>       through the use of illegal bit patterns?  Group III is probably too
>>       simple to be attacked, but group IV?  Imagine a message which
>>       causes a FAX machine to send an extra copy of transmitted documents
>>       to another location.
>
>Something that has come to the attention of security paranoids here
>lately is that some manufacturers of PC FAX boards have added a
>feature that allows the FAX modem to be used as a bisync modem to
>communicate with the PC directly, rather than transmitting just FAXes.
>
>I assume the PC would have to be running some software to enable it
>and reassign the console (requiring local intervention), but a
>networked PC could then prove to be a leak onto the corporate network,
>(or at least, for handy distribution of the Trojan-of-the-month program).
>Added to this is the promise that at least one FAXboard vendor
>promises that both async and bisync modem capability will be available
>in the future.

- -I would have clipped more of this but this is a complex subject that merited
serious consideration unlike the infamous modem virus scare of 1988....
actually while a receiving process has to be available on the machine to
be infected(i.e. either the legitimate file transfer program
 or a masquerading process
using this as a means to load further extensions of itself)...the important
point to remember here is that g-3 and g-4 fax formats are from what some of
techs have told me on alt.fax are internally, modified dialects of HDLC
so in this case it is possible that a sufficiently sophisticated infectious
process could use this as a pipeline to load further updates to code...
(i.e. new ways to defeat anti-viral nostrums) I will post ISBN numbers
on the protocol definitions when they finally arrive...as to whether this is
a probable scenario... who knows
   cheers
   kelly
p.s. AS I dont want to cause anyone unecessary worry let me remind all
once again that a receiving process HAS to be on the receiving machine
if it is not the legitimate File XFER program then it is illegitimate
in any case....the point that I am trying to clarify that while
an infectious process could use this as a conduit to an ALREADY EXISTING
infected host... unless there is a way to force execution of the received
code then your virus will lay dormant(i.e.nonexecutable) because of some
fax type file extension on msdos...typically something like .FAX .PIC .PCX
etc....get the picture??? on *nix type systems the problems faced
by the theoretical COMPUTER/FAX-MODEM infectious process are simpler in some
ways but require even more cooperation from receiving processes...

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (01/07/90)

Nagle@cup.portal.com says:
>     - A FAX message is a bitstream interpreted by an interpreter at
>       the receving end.  Could it be induced to do something interesting
>       through the use of illegal bit patterns?

Now that hard disks are available on Postscript printers, We have
another problem.. It is concievable to embed a virus, or a trojan in a
font.  If the font were encrypted, it would be mighty hard to hunt the
virus down.  It could convievably alter fonts on the hard disk, screw
up font chache images, and or plain crash the hard disk.  It would,
however be difficult for it to infect other systems, unless one
retrieves a contaminated file and sends it to another laser printer.
The potential for abuse also exists in prolouges.  I have not seen or
heard of one yet, but now is the time to give some thought to how to
prevent them BEFORE they start getting out of hand.

Cheers
Woody

p.s.  Some of the new VIDEO cypherrs are viruses of a sort.  They play
with the signal to screw-up VCR's.  Messing with the Automatic Gain
control among other things.  If some one manages to overcome them, and
make a copy of the tape, the messed up signal could sort of take on
viral properties, though they would not do any damage.

geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) (01/09/90)

ras@rayssdb.ssd.ray.com (Ralph A. Shaw) writes:
>Nagle@cup.portal.com says:
>
>>     - A FAX message is a bitstream interpreted by an interpreter at
>>       the receving end.  Could it be induced to do something interesting
>>       through the use of illegal bit patterns?

One annoying thing you can do is to spew out paper from the remote fax.
The protocol allows the paper length to be anything up to (i think) 65K
lines or so, so you could spew out 25' of paper at a time, finishing
the receiver's roll of paper and so rendering it useless.  Note that
it doesn't take much time to transmit this image, if it is toally
white or black.

- - Geof
- --
geof@aurora.com / aurora!geof@decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com@decwrl.dec.com