[net.followup] entrance ramp crawl

alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) (10/10/84)

her names for them?

To you So. Californians:  Just where *is* the 4-level interchange, anyway?
What's a SIG alert?  Not all of the L.A. fwys have names.  Did you know
the so-called 'Marina del Rey' fwy is really the 'Richard M. Nixon' fwy?

scw@cepu.UUCP (Stephen C. Woods) (10/11/84)

In article <1376@sdcrdcf.UUCP> alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) writes:
>her names for them?
>
>To you So. Californians:  Just where *is* the 4-level interchange, anyway?
>What's a SIG alert?  Not all of the L.A. fwys have names.  Did you know
>the so-called 'Marina del Rey' fwy is really the 'Richard M. Nixon' fwy?

(1) The 4-level interchange is the interchange of the Hollywood (US 101) and
    Harbor/Pasadena (I110/ca 110) Fwys. It is about 2 miles WNW of City Hall.

(2) A SIG alert is named after [don't know his first name] Sig, He worked for
    the CHP back in the 50's and invented it. What it is is an announcment by
    CalTrans/CHP that a problem exists at some location (specified) and an
    estimate of how long it will be in existance (usually very accurate).

(3) The Marina del Ray Fwy (Cal Hwy 90, from I-405 (the San Diego Fwy)
    West to Culver Blvd. total length ~3.5 Miles) was called the R. M.
    Nixion Fwy until ~~1973-74 (When it was renamed by Jerry Brown's
    CalTrans director Adrianna Geanturko(sp?), whom we can all thank
    for: (a)the Century Fwy (which was supposed to be finished 2 years
    ago) only now starting construction (it'll cost almost 3.5 X the
    planned cost). (b)the Artiesa (91)/Harbor (I110) fwy interchange
    (which was supposed to be finished 6 years ago) will be done some
    time next year (anyone care to hazard a guess as to the additional
    costs?). (c)The diamond lane in the Santa-Monica Fwy (I-10),
    (anyone remember that fiasco?). (d)The attempted diamond lane on
    the San Diego Fwy (I405) ($500,000+ in court costs).
--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb, sdcrdcf}!cepu!scw

phil@amd.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (10/13/84)

> (1) The 4-level interchange is the interchange of the Hollywood (US 101) and
>     Harbor/Pasadena (I110/ca 110) Fwys. It is about 2 miles WNW of City Hall.

The Habor/Pasadena Freeway in the vicinity of the 4-level is CA 11,
not CA 110. It is not an Interstate highway.
I just checked this on an Auto Club of Southern Cal (aka AAA) map.

Boy, that 4-level is a fine piece of work.
In the SF bay area we recently completed a 4 level interchange (as opposed
to THE 4-level. was it the first in the world?) of US 101 and I 280
and it is interesting how much larger it is than US 101 and CA 11.
It does take a lot of concrete to let you make a left turn at 55 mph.
--

 Phil Ngai (408) 982-6554
 UUCPnet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd!phil

robert@erix.UUCP (Robert Virding) (10/15/84)

In article <417@amd.UUCP> phil@amd.UUCP writes:

>It does take a lot of concrete to let you make a left turn at 55 mph.

Not if you have the right car! :-)

		Robert Virding  @ L M Ericsson, Stockholm