[comp.virus] Shrink wrap...still safe?

JZH1@MARISTB.BITNET (Craig W. Fisher) (01/10/90)

At a meeting yesterday some people made comments that some viruses
have been found in shrink-wrapped diskettes.  This did surprise me as
we have been using a rule of thumb to stick to shrink wrapped software
to help avoid viruses.  What comments &/or advice do you have for this
situation?
       Thanks, Craig

PS: I almost typed shrink warpped...interesting freudian slip!
Acknowledge-To: <JZH1@MARISTB>

odawa@apple.com (Michael Odawa) (01/12/90)

> we have been using a rule of thumb to stick to shrink wrapped software
> to help avoid viruses.  What comments &/or advice do you have for this
> situation?

Both shrinkwrapped and downloaded software sources have their
advantages and risks of contamination.  It is our belief that the
important factor is not the distribution method by which you acquire
your software which will protect you, but the integrity of your
sources.  While there have been some very serious and regrettable
instances of viruses appearing in both shrink-wrapped and downloaded
software, these are rare in comparison to the viral propagation that
results from software that is "passed around."

To achieve maximum protection you should (a) acquire software only
from trusted sources, (b) scan and monitor your system for viral
activity regularly, and (c) backup often and systematically.

Michael Odawa
Virus Task Force
Software Development Council
odawa@well.uucp

magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) (01/12/90)

JZH1@MARISTB.BITNET (Craig W. Fisher) writes:
>At a meeting yesterday some people made comments that some viruses
>have been found in shrink-wrapped diskettes.  This did surprise me as
>we have been using a rule of thumb to stick to shrink wrapped software
>to help avoid viruses.

A problem that may show up with shrink warped (sic) software is that sometimes
retailers will take back software from customers, and re-shrink warp it, at the
store.  If the customer tried the software out on an infected machine....

- --
	------------    ------------   ----------------------
	Ben Liberman    USENET         magik@chinet.chi.il.us
	                GEnie,Delphi   MAGIK

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (01/12/90)

JZH1@MARISTB.BITNET (Craig W. Fisher) writes:
> At a meeting yesterday some people made comments that some viruses
> have been found in shrink-wrapped diskettes.  This did surprise me as
> we have been using a rule of thumb to stick to shrink wrapped software
> to help avoid viruses.  What comments &/or advice do you have for this
> situation?
>        Thanks, Craig

	If you have a virus on your system that reproduced your master
diskette, that virus could infect the copy.  If the store that
re-sells your software takes off the shrink-wrap, tests the program
and re-shrink-wraps it, there is a chance of a virus infecting it
there.  If someone buys a package, takes it home and discovers it will
not work on his system and returns the software, the store
re-shrink-wraps it and sells it for new.  Yet another way to infect a
disk even though it was sold 'shrink-wrapped'.  Do we have to put all
software in tamper-resistant packaging like Tylenol?  If a store tries
a package out so they can be able to tell customers how good it is,
can they sell that diskette as new software still?  Do we have to
demand a no-returns policy on software?  Hey, the customer might have
a shrink-wrap machine available to them and would be able to
shrink-wrap and return as new.  Where do we draw the line?
Shrink-wrap doesn't mean virus-free!
             ____ ____    ___
 Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
 Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (01/12/90)

Many large retailers (and some wholesalers) have shrinkwrap machines.
They use these to rewrap packages of software that endusers may have
purchased and then returned.  They may also rewrap software packages
that they have been using in-house as demo programs.  They usually do
not check the diskettes to see if they have been modified with a virus
or other nasty.  The purchaser usually has no way of knowing if the
package they have just purchased has been rewrapped in this manner.

Additionally, there have been some commercial distributions shipped
with a virus on the diskettes.  Usually, this contamination occurs in
the stages where the diskette is formatted or copied, not when the
master copy of the software is produced.  That is, the machines doing
the copying are infected and they introduce the infection when they
copy the master version onto the diskette.  Most software houses are
now aware of this problems and they take greater care to protect
the machines used to produce the distribution.

Words of advice:
   Get in the habit of using virus scan programs on EVERY new diskette
   you add to your system.  It will only take you a few extra minutes
   but may save you a great deal of trouble.  Establishing the habit
   is very good practice.  Keep a virus monitor (e.g., Gatekeeper,
   FluShot+) installed on your system and activated just in case.

   Point out to your retailer/wholesaler that should you ever buy a
   product from them with a virus on it, introduced because they have
   re-wrapped an infected product, they are liable for damages in a
   lawsuit.  Encourage them to label any package so rewrapped -- then
   be extra careful when purchasing same.

- --
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,
Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004
Internet:  spaf@cs.purdue.edu	uucp:	...!{decwrl,gatech,ucbvax}!purdue!spaf

wlhadley@gmuvax.gmu.edu (WILLIAM HADLEY) (01/13/90)

Craig,
   When you buy software in a computer store that is shrink wrapped, it may
not have always stayed in that condition before *you* bought that software.
There are software stores (at least in the Washington, D.C. area) that will
re-shrink wrap software packages when they are returned.  For example, if
someone bought a software package, took it home, and didn't like it.
They could take it to the software store who would take the software back
as long as the software still had the documentation AND the registration
card.  They would take the software and offer an exchange or refund and send
the customer on his/her way.  Then the store would take the software into
the backroom and procede to re-shrink wrap the software and put it back on
the shelf.  I (as the customer) had an experience like this.  I returned a
piece of software that I was not what I thought.  The store I bought it from
was more than happy to assist me (keep the customer happy).  They asked if
everything that came in the box was there, which of course it was.  Then the
sales clerk SPECIFICALLY asked me if the registration card was in the box.
Again, I assured him that everything was there.  He explained that he had to
ask about that because they were going to put it back on the shelf and re-sell
the package.  I asked if he could sell it without the shrink wrap on the box,
to which he replied, "Nah, we have a shrink wrap machine in back" (not
necessarily a direct quote).  I thought about that, about specifically asking
for the registration card.  I could have pirated the software and sent in the
card as though I *actually* paid for it.   But then  I thought a little bit
more about the whole transaction.  The clerk never looked in the box when I
was standing there to see if everything was in it.  After refunding my money,
he took the box in back, wrapped it, and brought it back before I left the
store.  He could have looked while he was in back, but I don't think he did
because he was not gone for very long.  Also, he never asked to see a sales
recipt.  There was no price tag on the box (it was shrink wrapped when I bought
it and the tag was stuck to the wrapping which I threw away) so he wouldn't
have known for sure if I even bought it at his store - if I bought it at all.
I could have stolen the software, pirated it and get *my* money back.  Or I
could have stolen the software, INFECTED it, and then get *my* money back.
The store and the software company would have never known - neither would the
unsuspecting customer who might have bought that software.

**JUST FOR THE RECORD**
I *did* pay for it, and I *did* have my sales recipt with me when I returned
the software.  I was *not* satisfied with the program.  And, I did *not*
pirate it and did *not* infect it with anything.

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (01/14/90)

I applogize for posting this here, but my mailer would not
let me reply to someone who replied to a message I posted here.
siia!drd:

	Postscript fonts are executable files.  Like any other postscript
program they have file access, and full unfettered access to the system.
They are for the mostparts, encrypted, but the encryption and decryption
algs are known.  A malicious person could create a font program that could
when run, delete all files off the hard disk, or more viciously, subtly
alter existing fonts from say Adobe, or some other font company.  They
could be altered to do more than just print funny.  They could clear the
page, print messages over pages, corrupt the filesystem (very easy to do
by the way, and in general create all manner of havoc.

The posiblilty is very real.

Cheers
Woody

len@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Leonard P Levine) (01/16/90)

Many vendors are now selling software on un-notched disks.  My most
recent copy of wordstar, my copy of spinrite and even one shareware
product have come to me on disks that cannot be written to except with
modified computer hardware.

Such software can only be infected at the factory, and the probability of
that is becoming increasingly small.

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
| Leonard P. Levine                  e-mail len@evax.cs.uwm.edu |
| Professor, Computer Science             Office (414) 229-5170 |
| University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee       Home   (414) 962-4719 |
| Milwaukee, WI 53201 U.S.A.              FAX    (414) 229-6958 |
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

mlord@watmath.waterloo.edu (Mark Lord) (01/16/90)

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
>	If you have a virus on your system that reproduced your master
>diskette, that virus could infect the copy.  If the store that
>re-sells your software takes off the shrink-wrap, tests the program
>and re-shrink-wraps it, there is a chance of a virus infecting it
>there.  If someone buys a package, takes it home and discovers it will
>not work on his system and returns the software, the store
>re-shrink-wraps it and sells it for new.  Yet another way to infect a
>disk even though it was sold 'shrink-wrapped'.  Do we have to put all
>software in tamper-resistant packaging like Tylenol?  If a store tries
>a package out so they can be able to tell customers how good it is,
>can they sell that diskette as new software still?  Do we have to
>demand a no-returns policy on software?  Hey, the customer might have
>a shrink-wrap machine available to them and would be able to
>shrink-wrap and return as new.  Where do we draw the line?

Hmm.. the simple solution to most of these problems is to distribute
software on diskettes without write-enable slots (ie. built-in write
protection tabs).  There is simply NO way, short of modifying hardware,
for such diskettes to become virus infected on the customers premises.

I'm actually quite suprised that 99% of the software I purchase comes
*without* write protection tabs installed on the diskettes (5.25" floppies).
I really have to force myself to install that critical tab *before* inserting
the disk in *any* drive.  This guarantees that I don't infect the masters.

This whole deal with shrink-wrap and Tylenol-packaging for software is
really a big scam in a lot of ways (IMHO).

I mean, think about this.. the customer is expected to plop out (here in
Canada, at least) between $60 and $200 for the most trivial of store-bought
software, WITHOUT any guarantee of system compatibility (most people DO NOT
have IBM/COMPAQ/TANDY machines.. face it!).  In addition, if the program
does not work, or demonstrates bugs, TOUGH NUGGIES.. no source code to fix
and no replacements available.  Would you buy anything else *new* under such
outrageous conditions???  [other than software, of course]

Where is Ralph Nader when we need him?  Ooops.  Wrong country.

'cuse me while I take a long dandelion break...
- --
+----------------------------------------+----------------------------+
| Mark S. Lord                           | Hey, It's only MY opinion. |
| ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!mlord%bmers58 | Feel free to have your own.|
+----------------------------------------+----------------------------+

dmg@retina.mitre.org (David Gursky) (01/17/90)

Several people in Virus-L V3 #12 suggested that were vendors to distribute
applications on write-locked media, the potential for vandalism by buying an
application, infecting it, and return it, would be reduced.

While that statement is broad enough to be true, I would suggest that the
suggestion is far to easy for a vandal (and not even a very determined one
at that) to get around, where 3.5" media is concerned.

With 3.5" disks, a small hole can be covered by a moving tab, to indicate
to the disk drive whether the disk is locked or not.  Open is locked, closed
is writable.  If vendors disseminate applications on write-locked 3.5" media,
all a vandal needs to do is cover the hole with a small piece of electrical
tape.

5.25" media is more difficult to pull this stunt with.  The presence of small
notch in the side of the flexible case means the disk is writable.  In order
for a vandal to infect an application shipped on 5.25" media, the vandal would
have to physically mar the case, which is a surer sign of tampering.

forags%nature.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (01/18/90)

Several writers have suggested that vendors distribute software
on 5.25" diskettes without write-enable notches since evidence of
tampering with such diskettes is fairly obvious.

A sheet-metal notching tool cuts a very clean write-enable notch
which can fool many users.  Thus, I would suggest that vendors
distributing software on diskettes without write-enable notches
also add a warning ON THE DISKETTE LABEL stating that the diskette
was manufactured without a write-enable notch and that the buyer
should reject any diskette with a write enable notch cut in it.

Al Stangenberger                    Dept. of Forestry & Resource Mgt.
forags@violet.berkeley.edu          145 Mulford Hall - Univ. of Calif.
uucp:  ucbvax!ucbviolet!forags      Berkeley, CA  94720
BITNET: FORAGS AT UCBVIOLE          (415) 642-4424