[comp.virus] Viruses 4096 and 1260 on BBS

USERGSVE@LNCC.BITNET (GEORGE SVETLICHNY) (02/07/90)

 In Virus-L v3 issue31, ddb@ns.network.com (David Dyer-Bennet) writes
 concerning the 4096 and 1260 viruses:

>John McAfee writes:
>:      The strangest part of the virus is that it is also able to
>:trap all other disk reads and writes, and whenever an infected file is
>:accessed by any program, the virus performs a disinfection of the
>:program on the fly.
>  infected file?
>
>As a BBS sysop, I find this a particularly amusing feature: it assures
>my users that anything downloaded from my BBS is not infected with
>this class of virus!  The concept of BBS's as *the safest* source of
>software (at least in this one regard) is rather amusing.

What David forgets to mention is that the BBS is the safest source of
virus-free files *as long as the BBS is infected* with these viruses.
Will Sysops now start deliberately infecting their boards with these
viruses so as to assure the users clean files? Is your BBS infected,
Dave? ;-)

 George Svetlichny                 |
 Department of Mathematics         |
 Pontificia Universidade Catolica  |  So it goes.....
 Rio de Janeiro, Brasil            |    Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

 usergsve@lncc.bitnet Fido 4:4/998 |
:Will Sysops now start deliberately infecting their boards with these
:viruses so as to assure the users clean files? Is your BBS infected,
:Dave? ;-)

Not as of last weekend, the last time I ran scanv57.  Actually, I've
never *seen* a virus, nor have any other local sysops so far as I'm
aware (it hasn't been mentioned in the fidonet sysops echo, anyway).

Getting serious for half a second, the other problem is that most
software on a bbs is in archived form; if the files are infected
inside the archive wrapper, the virus won't disinfect itself when
reading them even if the bbs *IS* infected.  Oh well :-)
- --
David Dyer-Bennet, ddb@terrabit.fidonet.org
or ddb@network.com
or Fidonet 1:282/341.0, (612) 721-8967 9600hst/2400/1200/300
or terrabit!ddb@Lynx.MN.Org, ...{amdahl,hpda}!bungia!viper!terrabit!ddb