[comp.virus] WDEF details

DUCKENFP@carleton.edu (Paul Duckenfield (Consultant, User Services)) (02/21/90)

>From:    wcpl_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Wing Leung)
>Subject: More about WDEF

>        Can someone tell me is WDEF an illegal string in the resource code?
>        How about the program called WDEF uploaded in comp.binaries.mac?
>        In fact, I've found some WDEF code in system version 6.0.3
>        Please tell me more about this resource code.

        WDef is a system resource which (basically) tells the Mac how
to draw its windows. There are several programs in the FREE/SHAREware
market which change how the window appear on your Macs screen. They
make it look like a NeXT or MS Windows or some other form other than
the "standard Apple"-look. They take advantage of the WDef resource in
the SYSTEM file.

        The virus WDef is a little trickier. It infects the invisible
DESKTOP file in the root directory of any disk. You can't seem this
file, but it is there, keeping track of all your files.

        That is the difference between WDef SYSTEM resource and WDef
DESKTOP resource (for the layman).

        Incidentily, I have heard reports that it is possible
(although not easy) for someone to rename the WDef virus's resource to
CDef. Potentially this will create another virus, exactly the same as
the first except for the name, which can propogate quickly as well.
Anyone know anything about this?

                Paul Duckenfield
                CC User Services
                Micro Consultant
                DUCKENFP@Carleton.Edu

XRJDM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Joe McMahon) (02/22/90)

Paul Duckenfield <DUCKENFP@carleton.edu> writes:
>    ... Another problem which we have had to deal with is recurring
>system crashes on our AppleShare servers even after the eradication of
>WDef. Although WDef if "officially" gone thanks to Disinfectant v1.6,
>the servers still seem to crash regularly. It appears that WDef, like
>polio can be cured, but it leaves lasting damage. The only solution I
>have found is to delete the unused DESKTOP file on all server volumes...
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By all means do that.  The virus will still write to this file (if
you've allowed your client machines access to it) and will be lurking
there, waiting for you to boot the server from a floppy. When you do
that, the AppleShare Desktop Manager INIT is bypassed and you have a
new source of infection. Also, be warned that rebooting from a floppy
will cause the Desktop file to be *rebuilt* on the server! You will
have to remove it again.

Paul also notes/asks:
>        Incidentily, I have heard reports that it is possible
>(although not easy) for someone to rename the WDef virus's resource to
>CDef. Potentially this will create another virus, exactly the same as
>the first except for the name, which can propogate quickly as well.
>Anyone know anything about this?

Doubtful. I don't have my handy copy of Inside Mac right here at the
moment, but as I recall, the calling sequences are quite different.  I
believe that there would be trouble (i.e., crash/hang) if you tried
it. However, if the viral WDEF does its infections directly, it might
be able to spread itself before the crash occurs. I don't think that
it would spread as fast as WDEF, because the behavior of the Mac would
take such a sudden turn for the worse that almost anyone would become
suspicious. Also, if you're running GK Aid or Eradicate'em, you're
already protected against anything which looks even remotely
executable in the Desktop file.

 --- Joe M.

zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (02/23/90)

DUCKENFP@carleton.edu(Paul Duckenfield (Consultant, User Services)) writes:

> WDef is a system resource which (basically) tells the Mac how
> to draw its windows. There are several programs in the FREE/SHAREware
> market which change how the window appear on your Macs screen. They
> make it look like a NeXT or MS Windows or some other form other than
> the "standard Apple"-look. They take advantage of the WDef resource in
> the SYSTEM file.

> Incidentily, I have heard reports that it is possible
> (although not easy) for someone to rename the WDef virus's resource to
> CDef. Potentially this will create another virus, exactly the same as
> the first except for the name, which can propogate quickly as well.
> Anyone know anything about this?

In the same way WDEF resources define the behaviour of windows, CDEF
resources define the behaviour of "controls" (pushbuttons, scroll
bars, etc).

While it would not be possible to just retype the WDEF as a CDEF, it
would certainly be possible to write a virus that would live in a CDEF
resource (or for that matter any other executable resource type).

IMHO the real problem is that Finder opens these resource files and
leaves them in the search chain, relying on them not to contain any
resources that might mask the real resources in the Finder and System
files.

If Finder were to ensure that these files are in the search chain only
when the Desktop resources are being fetched, these viruses would not
be possible.

- --
Sig     DS.L    ('ZBen')       ; Ben Cranston <zben@Trantor.UMD.EDU>
* Network Infrastructures Group, Computer Science Center
* University of Maryland at College Park
* of Ulm

vronay%castor.usc.edu@usc.edu (Iceman) (02/23/90)

Understanding how WDEF works can tell you bunches about the current
state of viruses on the Mac.

First, it is important to note that the mac is susceptible to computer
viruses due to the large number of trap-dispatched routines built into
the computer.  These so-called "toolbox routines" provide the
programmer with all of the code s/he needs to create the Macintosh
look and feel.  Now, since this code can change for different version
of the Mac, the routines are accessed through a trap-dispatch
mechanism.  Basically, each routine has a number, and you call that
number instead of the actual routine.  The built-in trap dispatcher
will then look up the location in memory of the trap and start
executing.

Some virus and most anti-virus programs work by rewriting these trap
addresses, so that instead of calling the built-in ROM code, they call
the call the virus/anti-virus code instead.  This code will usually
eventually call the ROM routine as well - perhaps after asking for
permission to execute a suspiscious instruction.

WDEF goes one step up in this.  It first removes all of the patches on
toolbox routines it wants to use.  This effectively disables any
anti-virus code that was there.  Next, it figures out what machine you
are running on and patches the traps back to what it thinks they
should be for that machine.  (BTW, this is why WDEF initially crashed
the new machines - it didn't know the proper patches for them).  It
then copies itself, and set the traps back to what they were before it
started, leaving the anti-viral software totally unaware that anything
happenned.

- -ice
reply to:  iceman@applelink.apple.com    AppleLink:  ICEMAN
disclaimer:  (not (apples-opinion-p (opinions 'ice))) => T