[comp.virus] Recover from *Virus* Infection

gm@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Gary Mathews) (03/04/90)

moncol!c2810@princeton.edu (SATYAJIT CHATTERJEE) writes:
>We discovered the Stoned Virus in our PC's recently. Does anyone have
>any suggestions on how to get rid of this. We have hundreds of users
>who have their own floppies, most of them infected I suppose. It would
>be difficult to call them all in. Is there some way of automating
>this? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

	All the common virus problems can be cured by the public
domain program cleanp written by John McAfee.  It can cure up to
about 65 or so known viruses.  The latest version is 58, I think,
which can be reached from SIMTEL via ftp.  Just "ftp 26.2.0.74" and
download "cleanp57.zip" for the clean program and also "scanv58.zip"
for the virus scanner.  If you don't have pkzip to uncompress these
archives then you need to download "pkz102.exe" also.  You will need
to scan the disks to know what virus to disinfect.  I have removed the
"Stoned", "Ping-Pong" and "Jerusalem" viruses from various computers
at work and in the lab.

	The "stoned" virus is really stupid because it infects the
boot sector of all disks, even non-bootable disks which cannot spread
the virus and end up as carries.  Luckily it doesn't infect files.

	This program has helped many people with the problem of
computer viruses.  I don't know what else we can do with these stupid
virus programs besides delete them when we're infected.  It will be a
good idea to use McAfee's scan program on all disks you come in
contact with before using them.

Never trust a strange disk !

If there are any more problems or questions - just send then to out
the net ...  Viruses are a common problem and we all need to know how
to deal with them.  Even John McAfee, himself is listening.

					Gary Mathews

P.S.  To all you people creating the viruses --- I think you're scum !!!!!!!

Gary Jason Mathews      | gm@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
Columbia University     | Death is life's way of telling you you've been fired.
- ------------------------+ CPU time flies when you have a lot of bugs